Jan 04, 2009, 07:50 PM
Thread OP
vmsguy - I like the idea of the rubber bands holding the hatch. If you make a hatch that way make sure you post a picture. I never did get the all up weight of the airplane (with the glow engine) but I can tell you it flew great at what ever it was. I'll post the weight of the conversion and let you know.

Scott.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2009, 10:09 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott282
vmsguy - I like the idea of the rubber bands holding the hatch. If you make a hatch that way make sure you post a picture. I never did get the all up weight of the airplane (with the glow engine) but I can tell you it flew great at what ever it was. I'll post the weight of the conversion and let you know.

Scott.

Enjoying following this conversion. I've had an eye on this kit for years.

As far as a hatch, I much prefer using tape or covering hinge on one side and magnets or a positive latch on the other. That way the hatch stays with the plane. Removable hatches either blow away, get stepped on, or come off in flight. Especially don't like the rubber band idea--that would commit you to yet another maintenance chore to replace the band occasionally. In about a year, the band would degrade enough to break . (Probably in flight)

Good luck and keep posting!

-Steve
Last edited by Griffin; Jan 06, 2009 at 07:51 PM.
Feb 01, 2009, 05:10 PM
Thread OP
Finally got some time to work/finish converting this airplane.

I used Bondo brand automotive fiberglass on the inside of the cowl slathered with 5 minute epoxy to fill the cylinder, needle valve, and exhaust cut outs. When it was dry I leveled the cutouts with a few coats of glazing spot putty. When this was dry I sanded it as smooth as I could get it.

I just finished repainting the areas but am not real happy as the masking tape lifted some of the original paint when I pulled it off. I'll have to do some touch up work to get the cowl looking good again.

Scott.
Dec 25, 2018, 12:24 AM
I realize this is an old thread, but if your out there still, how did you do the battery tray? I'm building this plane right now and making it electric...
Dec 26, 2018, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
I realize this is an old thread, but if your out there still, how did you do the battery tray? I'm building this plane right now and making it electric...
Here's what I did. I made a removable battery tray that holds a pair of 3s 5000 packs. I can slide the tray out of the plane, load up the two packs, and then slide it back in. It's held in place by a pair of 1/4" dowels. Have over 300 flights and is still works great!
Dec 26, 2018, 01:45 PM
Wow, very cool! Thanks for the reply, that does give me some ideas.
Dec 26, 2018, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
Wow, very cool! Thanks for the reply, that does give me some ideas.
You're welcome!
Let me know if you need any other ideas. It's a great flying plane, and it's become my go-to for most of my flying.
I'm using a Cobra 4130 390 kV motor, along with a 16/10 prop, and the performance is amazing!
Dec 26, 2018, 11:12 PM
Heres my power system so far, Scorpion SII 4025-520kv on 6s with Master Airscrew 14x9x3 prop.
Dec 27, 2018, 11:28 AM
Very nice!
Good idea to use the turbo-cool spinner. With the amp draw you'll get on that setup, the extra cooling is a smart idea.

Quick Reply