Jan 04, 2013, 03:58 PM
Flying is Freedom
That's an easy fix. Get yourself a prop saver

How RC Prop Savers Work (5 min 11 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2013, 02:04 PM
Like a Tortoise
I seem a micro cub, mini cub, super cub? I read the thread, and want to say thanks to the people here?

What makes the mini super cub not likable
Jan 05, 2013, 03:50 PM
Flying is Freedom
I did a Father Son project with my boy. Since there wasn't a kit available, I bought all the parts seperate and put in real servos, brushless motor and so on. It turned out really nice.
Mar 05, 2013, 11:36 AM

My mini Supercub flew erratic today.......

Had originally posted this on the Supercub thread……. They directed me to this thread and I will repeat my problem, hoping to get some more input……
I went out to try to fly my mini Supercub today after several days of no flying due to too much wind. The wind wasn't too bad today, but I had problems flying it anyway. Note that I am fairly new to RC, but I have flown this plane successfully (if you don't count the bad landings) several times.
The first time up today with my new 800mAh battery (vs the 300mAh), the plane got away from me fairly quickly to a point far enough away where I could not see what orientation it was in, so I brought it down as quick as I could. I was lucky... it went between 2 houses and landed in the front lawn of 1....... with no damage.
I was concerned that may have been due to the new battery, so I went back with my 300mAh battery and kind of had a different type of problem. I found at times that I could not turn it in the direction I wanted (with rudder) and it acted erratic. In my hands, I rechecked the rudder and elevator action and found a few times that the elevator did not seem to do anything when I moved the control on the transmitter!
My questions are: 1) would the 800mAh battery cause the plane to go faster?
2) could it be that the elevator and maybe rudder problems are due to my transmitter needing new batteries? 3) I have noticed that when my plane crashes and the propeller is kept from turning that after I pick it up, it will quite often spin several times intermittently. Is this normal, and/or is it a damaged part (ESC)?
Thx
I added this:
Anyway....... the 300mAh battery I was referring to is the stock battery that came with the plane.
I have thought about the different items and I am wondering if the ACT system could be causing the motor/prop to be intermittently spinning after I crash. And, I notice that I did dig a little into the foam (to make room for the larger 800mAh battery) in front of the bottom ACT device such that some light gets in there..... could this be causing the erratic problem?
My plan is to try the next time with ACT turned off and new batteries in the Tx, to see if problem is still there.
Mar 06, 2013, 12:22 AM
RCG -Minus Member
Check the thumbscrews on the rudder and elevator that hold the push rods; make 100% sure they are tight and won't move.

Check the voltage of your TX batteries. If you haven't replaced them in a while, go ahead and do it.

A battery nearly three times the size of the original will make it fly faster. This is due to higher wing loading and more power to the motor. The optimal size pack range from 300 to 450mAh. I use those two sizes.

Good call with the ACT. It seems to do more harm than good. I cut out the sensors in my plane to save weight.

Good luck
Latest blog entry: 1,000 Blog Hits
Mar 07, 2013, 07:40 PM
Well, the wind finally died down enough today where I could go out and fly!
I changed the batteries in the Tx and turned the ACT off as planned..........and the plane flew like it should (for the most part, lol). It went up when I told it to and went right and left when I told it to! And, the controls were not intermittent! Also, was controllable with both the 300mAh battery AND the 800mAh battery.
I did find that when I was fairly close to the ground, I felt like it was not as well controlled....... not sure if it was my piloting fears of hitting the ground and thus over-reacting, or was a mechanical problem with the plane..... probably the former.
I did not find the motor/prop spinning when I hit the ground using the regular battery today...... but did have it happen once with the 800mAh battery. Think it was 'mainly' due to the ACT action before.
Note that my biggest skill challenge seems to be getting the plane lined up and landing good........ have only done it few times. I am getting better at doing correct R/L rudder when plane is coming toward me..... or maybe I am ducking better
Mar 12, 2013, 09:12 AM
Gee....... this thread is dead.
Mar 12, 2013, 06:20 PM
Frozen Fingers
Bob, how are you turning the "act" off? I am trying to teach my girlfriend how to fly with a newly bought mini SC and the hesitation makes it unflyable. Not sure if the problem is that we are flying it over snow?
Mar 12, 2013, 09:38 PM
You turn it off by pushing in on the right control stick on the transmitter. It will then go from a steady red led to a blinking red led.
Mar 14, 2013, 08:40 PM
RCG -Minus Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeracevt
Bob, how are you turning the "act" off? I am trying to teach my girlfriend how to fly with a newly bought mini SC and the hesitation makes it unflyable. Not sure if the problem is that we are flying it over snow?
Flying over snow with ACT is a big no-no. The snow reflects light onto the sensors and can confuse them.

Turn it off before every flight per Bob's instructions.
Latest blog entry: 1,000 Blog Hits
Mar 14, 2013, 10:21 PM
I don't think it confuses them. They are designed to look for dark ground below and bright sky above. Any deviation from that will produce less than desirable results.
Jul 30, 2013, 08:13 AM
I just got a Mini Cub and took it out on it's maiden........wow, I had fun . It flys like my champ
and I love the way it seems to float on dead stick.
To me the rudder is a little touchy but I got used to it.
I can say "It will see lots more flight time"
Rick in AZ
Jul 31, 2013, 10:58 PM
I have a Mini SuperCub that I have flown successfully several times. But lately, I have not been able to fly it. I think the stabilizer was out of alignment with the wings and maybe its bends/weakness was causing a problem too.
Anyway, I think that part is better now (after gluing and re-positioning parts)....... but having a big power problem now.
When I launch it, with a freshly charged battery, I only get about 15-20 yards before it appears the power goes out and plane goes down.
Note that I have been having problems for awhile where the motor keeps on trying to spin a little after a less than perfect landing. The motor kind of sputters on. I seem to be able to hold the plane and throttle it up and let it run for a while without any problems......... but as soon as I launch it, it loses power after only a few seconds in the air.
Any thoughts?
Aug 01, 2013, 12:54 PM
2 things come to mind immediately:

1) Battery is weak as in one cell is not receiving a charge - this is assuming you are always flying with a freshly charged battery.

2) Disable the 'auto pilot' if you haven't done so already. It expects to see light sky and dark ground - otherwise it shuts the motor down and neutralizes controls. You just push down on the stick after you turn it on, or snip the wire to the receiver/servo block that goes to the two light sensors.

Fun Flyin',
JO
Aug 01, 2013, 01:19 PM
Have tried it with 2 different batteries and have turned ACT off.
I would have to take the block out of the fuselage to snip those wires off, correct?

Quick Reply