Dec 01, 2008, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
Contest

Beta Build:30" Stick and Tissue A6M2 Zero

Well Guys,

I have gone and done it. I emailed off a set of cutfiles to the Laser Master and got word that they should be sent out soon. This one will be a little more ambitious for me as I will be trying my hand at vacuum forming the cowl, and "hood" area, in addition to the canopy. I had pretty good luck on the P-40 canopy but that was a pretty simple shape so I will have to see how this one turns out. I also have a 7 cylinder radial engine from dare that I will be cobbling up into a pseudo 14 cylinder powerplant.

This should make a nice companion to Mike Molt's Hellcat, Pat Tritle's SBD Dauntless, the Herr Corsair, and my P-40. After several issues with my computer crashing I have some hopefully workable files that have been backed up in several locations!!!!

I will not be able to get home to do any work for most of this week but the good news is that by the time I do get home I should have some pieces to glue together!

I think I still need to rework teh cowl drawing some but it will likely be a foam cowl that gets sanded until it looks right anyway. If I can't get the vac forming down on the cowl I am sure that Sparky will be able to put his touch on it so I guess I shouldn't worry too much.

Jeff
Last edited by bosley; Sep 26, 2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Changed title to reflect the beta build
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2008, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
This infernal machine isn't playing nice trying to attach some screen shots. I will post some later if the parts don't get here first.

Jeff
Last edited by bosley; Dec 01, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
Dec 01, 2008, 09:38 PM
Very nice Jeff, looking forward to seeing this one shape up.

D-Rock
Dec 01, 2008, 09:51 PM
Crashes are landings too!
Bro, it is good to see you are going to enter this in the scratch build off. I think it is going to come out great. Let me know if you need the help from me in regards to the work shop. It is getting busy lately due to you trying to graduate the fine Candidates. But who's complaining. Talk to you later.

Jason
Dec 01, 2008, 10:27 PM
A Zero that is set up right is a great flying model, good choice!!
Dec 02, 2008, 01:15 AM
Paul Kohlmann
That a baby, Bosley. Good to see you're out of the starting blocks!

Paul
Dec 02, 2008, 01:53 AM
Hey Jeff

This is great news--theres a lot of interest in a Zero --and i know once you get into something you gain momentum.

the computer model really strikes me as being the "right feel" for this plane..

now i just have to go out and find some rice paper to cover one with!! LOL

when i was a kid--i bought a model of a zero and it came with a 45 record--it talked about the zero and a japanese fighter pilot talking about shooting down airplanes with "rice paper bullets"----does anyone remember that?? i would love to hear that recording again--its been since the 60's i think..

tim
Dec 02, 2008, 06:30 PM
It flew once before...
Jeff ,

Anything like the P40 and you got another winner for sure ...

Subscribed .

-John
Dec 02, 2008, 06:38 PM
Fly2Build.com
Ahh, that beautiful Rhino screen...love it. Your model looks great, though I'm not seeing the dihedral concern.

Best wishes, looking forward to watching your progress.

Mike
Dec 05, 2008, 06:47 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for encouragement fellas. A little delay on my end though as I sent Charlie the cutfiles in the wrong view/plane. It ended up being a good thing though because as I was rotating the cutfiles to the x/y plane I noticed that I had forgotten to add the notches in the ribs for the turbulators.

I hope to be able to get it fixed up this evening but if not I will bring the lap top into work on Saturday and get it all straightened out while I am on duty. So I should be able to get started once this herd of candidates graduates!!! Only 7 days left!!!

Jeff
Dec 08, 2008, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
Just got word from Charlie that parts were cut and sent out!!! I expect that they should be here by the end of the week and if all goes as planned I should at least be able to get some stuff glued up by Saturday afternoon!

Menwhile I have been staying busy glueing up the Dumas 30" Bear Cat. It is going together quite nicely but it sure does have a fat fuselage!!! I will be doing it up as the Rare Bear so shorter wings and maybe even a 3s battery on the Blue Wonder!!!

Jeff
Dec 08, 2008, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
Oh yeah I have started drawing the next project also. FW190 A-8... Should take a while and I still haven't completely decided if the P51-B will be pushed back. I may just have to draw them both at the same time!!!

Jeff
Dec 08, 2008, 05:15 PM
It flew once before...
FW190... I'll be ready !!!

-John

Glad to hear the Bearcat is going well . Did you get the graphics from Callie ?
Dec 13, 2008, 02:43 PM
Thread OP
Well I have reached the end of another cycle and I am enjoying a day off finally!!!

Yesterday I came home after the commissioning ceremony to find a box from Charlie and Vicki on the front step. The cavemen from the USPS did their best to destroy the box but the wood inside came out unscathed. I didn't get a chance to work on it at all last night but did get started today.

First things first glue up the formers making sure they are square.

Get the servo/battery tray out and glue that up square to F-1.

Jockey in F-2 the saddle supports and F-3,F-4,F-5.

Then add the side longerons and the remaining formers.

Here I put the fuse in a magnetic jig I made up and added the top and bottom longerons. along with the support plate for the horizontal stab.

I started adding the bottom stringers but probably could have gotten more in before removing from the jig if I had started on the top.

I am working on the horizontal now and should be able to get that and the vertical done today. Maybe start on the wing this evening.

What do you all think?

Jeff
Dec 13, 2008, 04:28 PM
frenzyscot

..over the limit

oooooh! that has to be one the fastest ever builds

see the cad did it right , looking nice
Last edited by xterarc; Dec 13, 2008 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply