Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by SGTalon
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Cool

Falx Tilt Wing

I have been playing around with the whole Tilt Wing/Tilt Rotor thing for a while now. I built a really nice nearly scale V-22 that i have yet to put in the air but this Falx company has really gotten my attention. www.falxair.com

Their website updates like once a week with new pictures and designs which is awesome. They recently teamed up with Gress Aerospace http://www.gressaero.com/ and changed their direction to totally lifting fans instead of a tilting wing. Personally i am not a big fan of the no wing design.

A couple years back when i started my V-22 Gress actually posted a bunch of cool information in my thread about his control system. Back then he had only gotten his small one flying.

Basically it is a gyro on every axis tied into either the individual motor speeds or their angle. Pretty simple and effective design.

I don't like them getting away from the tilting wing design because of the inherent safety of a winged design. If you ahve wings and you lose an engine or 2 you can always glide safely. Not so in a lifting fan design.

Anyhow. I decided to design up a plane that is similar to their tilting wing design that they had in Popular Science. It looks awesome!

Check it out

30" Span or so.
Last edited by SGTalon; Nov 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by jackosmeister
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Damn that looks cool!
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by metroidrc
Micro EDF addict
now that is cool! get a video when you build that one!
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Physics hate's my ideas
may want to move the wing forward some, for CG purposes cuz the CG hangs on the center of the props' hubs...
Last edited by GreenAce92; Nov 29, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Start spreadin' the news.
I'm keeping an eye on this one. It looks like a relatively simple design, though the wing mechanics might be a challenge.

I've thought about a V22-type design a few times. I wondered if counter-rotating props would aid stability in the hover and in transition?

Ben
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by More Trim
More Trim
Oh I Bet it is not cheep. I like it. Different than other planes. Probably for a total of about 12000.00 you can get one. I am not sure just saying it is going to be spend y.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by v22chap
Oh this is going to be cool ,,, good luck on the build
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by monboy10
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
that looks sweet for the wing tilt you could use parts from a landing gear retract set
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by skotman
What about a servo tied to a knob or 3-way switch on your radio? The knob I think would be best in that it would give you precise control over the rate of change and would stick at what ever point you stopped at.

cool project in any case.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Flying low is expensive.
^^^^i like his idea ^^^^
Old Nov 29, 2008, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by Vernon
Flies like an...
Ha, that Falx Air tiltrotor is so much like a model VTOL from a miniatures wargame (MWDA 'Hawk Moth') , that one of them MUST be a copy of the other. Great foamie, keep us updated.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Looked very pretty as a pop Sci magazine photo. But I'm looking at the severe CG shift this design has with the tilt-wing, and I think about how much trimming you have to do with the Bell 609 and Osprey in X-plane to keep flying right during transition, and I am thinking without very sophisticated automation in the trim controls, the full-sized Falx will be more than a handful. The model too. Looks amazing, but may actually be unflyable thru all modes.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Other thing I forgot to say: There's a reason for props versus a fan. You'll have to run the numbers to confirm it, but the relative efficiency can be greater with props or "unducted fans" because the prop-fan can push more volume on slower revs than the high-bypass fan can. The fan version of this thing will likely have reduced range for the same fuel load. It may not have much if any speed advantage over the tilt-wing with props because part of the fan has to always be thrusting downwards, while the tilt-wing can put ALL its thrust into forward motion at higher speed, using the airfoil to hang from. There's just a lot of reasons to not be hasty in dropping the props for ducted fans.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by bladerunner12345
That's so wierd, i was looking at that popsci issue for the first time yesterday thinking, that would be so cool, wonder if anyone at rcgroups has thought of trying one. And here you are, same day posting.....coolness!!

one question I had was the one in the mag appears to have anhedral (sp) would you try that? why or why not?
Last edited by bladerunner12345; Nov 29, 2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: more
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by Mikey C.
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Number one, I admire your cad skills, and number two, that looks pretty awesome. Looking forward to seeing more! Cheers~