Nov 27, 2008, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Stinson L-1A Vigilant (O-49)

Thought I would give a Stinson L-1A Vigilant a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.olive-drab.com
The versitile Vigilant was used for a variety of missions both in the United States and overseas during WWII, including towing training gliders, artillery spotting, liaison duty, emergency rescue, transporting supplies, special espionage missions behind Japanese lines and even for dropping light bombs. Some Vigilants were converted as ambulance aircraft, and were sometimes fitted with skis or with floats for water take-offs and landings.
Here are some pictures of the L-1A Vigilant:
Last edited by alpine_uni; Feb 18, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2008, 05:11 PM
Two left thumbs
Another really good subject! I'm signed on!

Geoff
Nov 27, 2008, 05:42 PM
Here are three more shots I collected when I was thinking of the same project.
You may, of course, have already seen them.
If not, enjoy!
Nov 27, 2008, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the other shots of the plane, kiwi!

I am in the process of drawing up a CAD design of the plane so that I can create some cross sections of the fuse for the hot-wire. I am thinking of using the hot-wire to cut several sections of the fuse and glue them together. The only thing that is holding me back from committing to this process is finishing the foam. I will most likely sheet the blue foam wing with balsa, and then either paint it or cover it, but I am not sure what to do for the fuse. If I sheet the fuse as well, then I will probably end up covering the entire plane, but it may be easier to just paint it. Any insight?

Thanks!
Dec 07, 2008, 12:41 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine_uni
Thanks for the other shots of the plane, kiwi!

I am in the process of drawing up a CAD design of the plane so that I can create some cross sections of the fuse for the hot-wire. I am thinking of using the hot-wire to cut several sections of the fuse and glue them together. The only thing that is holding me back from committing to this process is finishing the foam. I will most likely sheet the blue foam wing with balsa, and then either paint it or cover it, but I am not sure what to do for the fuse. If I sheet the fuse as well, then I will probably end up covering the entire plane, but it may be easier to just paint it. Any insight?

Thanks!
Just a thought here: As the original is fabric covered, you could cut the foam a bit undersized in cross section, glue stringers to that, then cover. That way, you get the simplicity of foam construction without losing the look of the original.

James
Dec 07, 2008, 04:29 PM
Stringer over foam, as suggested would be my choice also, but the forward area would have to balsa sheeted to look right. I suppose you could sand the foam to get the look of stringers, and then apply light fibreglass for a hard finish.

Quick Reply