Feb 26, 2003, 10:04 PM
Thread OP

Air Tractor

Ok guys, here we go. Ever since I saw Dave Blum’s Air Tractor I thought it was the cutest little ugly plane or ugliest little cute plane I ever saw. It’s kind of like a frog, ugly but you got to love’em. I promised myself once I finished the Duchess I would try to build one. This is what I have so far.

Thanks Dave for letting me build this plane.

-LL
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2003, 10:05 PM
Thread OP
Feb 26, 2003, 11:45 PM
BOSS
Wow you are now my new scratch building hero! I love your work!! lol

Jon
Feb 27, 2003, 01:02 AM
Very cool! Keep the pics coming as you build.

-Brad
Feb 27, 2003, 07:01 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
and i thought i was the only one
Feb 27, 2003, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
Hey Robbie d, and I thought I was the only one interested in the Air Tractor. Welcome abroad, maybe we can share some ideas along the way. I see you have already cut your ribs but just for show I stacked mine and cut them all at once.
Feb 27, 2003, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
For the dihedral brace I substituted 1/32 ply for two 1/64 ply to make a box beam.
Feb 27, 2003, 08:28 PM
Thread OP
Have fun...

-LL
Feb 27, 2003, 09:51 PM
Maybe i can talk Dave into letting me kit the Air tractor too.

Mike
Feb 28, 2003, 06:33 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
lefty,
i'm all outa thin plywood so i think i'll just use some this carbon sheet i've got lying around, same idea, dihedral brace front and back of spar.
I saw a good idea to use instead of the usual torque rods. a carbon rod runs into the side of the aileron and just has a vertical riser glued to the other end to connect to the servo. no precision bending needed.

Mike,
i can see Dblum bouncing off the walls if you decide to kit the airtractor.
Feb 28, 2003, 11:34 AM
Leave me alone!
Nope, you two aren't the only ones. I have a closet fantasy to have one, myself. LL, are you going to link the ailerons and rudder to one servo, or independant? I'm curious how effective the scale aileron section will be

Martin
Feb 28, 2003, 03:21 PM
Thread OP
Well Martin, come out of the closet and come on in. I'm going to set mine up with pull-pulls and mix rudder with aileron with my JRX-347. I'm doing mine as close to Dave's as I can but red trim instead of blue. I don't know how well I'll do but I'm going to give it a try. You may as well build one with us. You'll need something to do while … well did you here the news about the Duchess?
Mar 01, 2003, 04:44 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Lefty,
are you building your as a crop duster??????
I'm gonna be different and make a water bomber.
Those are the only versions i see around here, not too often thankfully.
Although their turbine sounds nice up close, absolutely nothing compares to the kidney thumping sound of the radial powered ones. well, maybe a merlin mkII without exhaust stubs, now That is a sound i'll never forget.
Mar 01, 2003, 05:54 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
That looks neat!

Is there a thread on this plane somewhere that I missed?

Matthew
Mar 01, 2003, 06:10 AM
Thats NOT indestructible
Another beauty Lefty and Leroy

The AirTractor is my fav plane too

Josh

Quick Reply