Superslo28" Build,Tip,Tricks thread! - Page 51 - RC Groups
Feb 25, 2010, 11:55 AM

Motors and Props and stuff! revisted :)

I have tried many Different combos over the last few years on many different slofly type planes

Setup used in my Videos on all my Slofly planes is this

I use the:
MOTROLFLY BRUSHLESS
MOTOR DM 2205-1350 " More info on my site"

All there Motors come pre wired with gold tip adapters and there new esc have both motor and battery connectors pre attached for better plug and play with no soldering required.

If anyone need Props I have a dealer that can get me most of my GWS props for around $1.10 or so in any qty any size some props are as low as 99cents

flat shipping of $7.00 on all prop orders "pm me for that info"

If your a Fan of Hobby City and are looking for the bluewonder type setup

Here is a list of items I would recomend.

Brushless Motors

hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1300kv
hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1500kv
hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1700kv

I have tried all three of the motors above and many different props with different results.

for the best basic performance go with the:

hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1300kv

And Use this Prop

GWS EP Propeller (DD-9050 229x127mm) when using a 2 cell battery pack.

And this prop when using a 3 cell pack
GWS EP Propeller (DD-8040 203x102mm)

For battery packs

WOW there are so many places to shop for battery packs

Back to Hobby City

2 cell " rememember to be called a real slofly type plane the plane was to have a total AUW of under 7oz with the battery installed"

so dont go strapping on a 2cell 1200 mah pack people because you can fly all day thats brick.

you should keep your packs in the 200-500mah range

I like the 360 range myself

Rhino 360mAh 2S 7.4v 20C Lipoly Pack is good and cheap and gives you about 5 minutes of good 3D flying.

For a little longer flight or when your flying in a little wind and just want a little more AUW

Rhino 460mAh 2S 7.4v 20C Lipoly Pack

Now if your looking for a 3Cell.

Rhino 360mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly Pack
About 5 minutes again

Same as above

for longer flight times and wind.

Rhino 460mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly Pack

Ok now on to the Speed Control

TURNIGY Plush 10amp 9gram Speed
Latest blog entry: Yunnec Typhoon H Review
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2010, 01:55 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Have you tried the new style Red and Blue Wonder?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...s_Motor_1300kv

I have the 3000Kv version of this that Dave North <Timocharis> has re-wound with a Sweet, Fat, Delta configuration.

With the GWS DD 84040 I am seeing 23 ounces of thrust and 10.1 amps and the thing is soooo quiet you can not here it run. I would say it is 26 gram with all the wire he can pack into it.

Dave taught me how to wind motors in the WYE, I just have not done the Delta yet, and I can't get as much wire on as he does. The Delta wind is so smooth.
Feb 25, 2010, 02:07 PM

JC's Prop Test Report

The only GWS prop I could find at LHS was 9047-EP, which I thought would have been just a bit cooler than the 9050-HD (which the LHS claims does not exist...). However, a quick test showed it pulled 9.8A and dropped a fully charged Rhino 460 voltage to 10.7v. Motor and ESC were hot after 30 sec test. No way am I going to fly with this prop because it overloads both the motor and battery.

Edit: For comparison, my GWS 8040-EP draws 5.7A at 11.1v, with lots of vertical acceleration.
Last edited by jchunter; Feb 25, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Feb 25, 2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchunter
The only GWS prop I could find at LHS was EP9047, which I thought would have been just a bit cooler than the HD9050 (which the LHS claims does not exist...). However, a quick test showed it pulled 9.8A and dropped a fully charged Rhino 460 voltage to 10.7v. Motor and ESC were hot after 30 sec test. No way am I going to fly with this prop because it overloads both the motor and battery.
It would be fine on a 2S lipo, but your right, the magic smoke could get out.

The Slofly style byte a bit harder, they will run up the heat and induce torque roll with throttle. The 8040 DD has always be gentle. Some times too much byte can get your in trouble since it take longer for it to spool up, I broke a prop 2 weeks ago using a 10X4.7 APC SF instead of my normal GWS9050 DD on my Bi plane indoors. Even thought the Axi motor could handle that big a prop, when you need power right now, it was not the answer.
Feb 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
7up
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
Quote:
The only GWS prop I could find at LHS was 9047-EP,
Trim 1/2" off each side and balance the prop. Works good for me when all I have left are bigger props.
Feb 25, 2010, 03:30 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Robert......don't forget about us OLD guys that don't 3D.

The Superslo is my favorite plane for flying indoors (big golf dome), it's built exactly to your plans and I'm using 2S-850's, ballanced slightly nose down, for about 15 minutes of flight time.

I can sit in my chair...drink my coffee, talk to my friends and cruise around all night.

Sometimes it's just good to be OLD
Feb 25, 2010, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron

The Superslo is my favorite plane for flying indoors (big golf dome), it's built exactly to your plans and I'm using 2S-850's, ballanced slightly nose down, for about 15 minutes of flight time.

I can sit in my chair...drink my coffee, talk to my friends and cruise around all night.

You Know..... That was well said.....Cheers
Feb 25, 2010, 04:55 PM
We are all restocked on all items... shipments just arrived, if you were holding off on an order, go ahead and place them now.

2 more yak kits to finish and we will be all caught up ... you could be next in line and in the mail by the first of the week!!!

I am still working on your order page Robert ... should be up by the first of the week.

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
Feb 25, 2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up
Trim 1/2" off each side and balance the prop. Works good for me when all I have left are bigger props.
Thanks for that suggestion. It might work fine! I'll just trim it until the max current gets near the motor spec.

BTW, I ordered some 8040 DDs and 8060 HDs from GWSprops.com.

Also, while snooping around Harbor Freight, I found $7 box of several hundred ORings, many of which will work fine as prop savers.
Last edited by jchunter; Feb 25, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Feb 25, 2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Thanks for that suggestion. It might work fine! I'll just trim it until the max current gets near the motor spec.

BTW, I ordered some 8040 DDs and 8060 HDs from GWSprops.com.

Also, while snooping around Harbor Freight, I found box of several hundred ORings, some of which will work fine as prop savers.
JChunter ... if you haven't tried surgical tubing yet for your prop saver bands, I think you should. If you want I will send you some free to try out. Once you go to this style prop saver band you will never consider going back to an o-ring.

Send me a PM if you want to try some out.

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
Feb 25, 2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron

Well Gues Whats Comming Nest a Slof3p patern plane " made out of 5mm with bracing and will be the next project you will see listed here took some of the great slofly style and added a little twist!

so stay tunned I have the plans done just need to cut and build the protype

perfect for lazy indoor patern flying and not a crazy 3D Ship if that's not your style.

" I too will put a 600 pack on and just fly around for 12 minutes form time to time" not do any crazy 3D stuff just practice inverted and stuff"
Last edited by tallflyer; Feb 25, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Feb 25, 2010, 08:57 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
Well Gues Whats Comming Nest a Slof3p patern plane "
OK, so this question is just my newbyness coming back to the surface but what exactly is "f3p"?
I have always wondered that. That style plane always just looked like your typical 3D plane to my unlearned eye's.
Feb 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
OK, so this question is just my newbyness coming back to the surface but what exactly is "f3p"?
I have always wondered that. That style plane always just looked like your typical 3D plane to my unlearned eye's.
f3p is the more percission indoor flying, very light, slow, airbrakes, side force generators. Very happy stuff 8)
Feb 25, 2010, 09:23 PM

Maiden of My SuperSlo

Well the weather has been rainy and windy but I couldn't wait any longer so I picked a day I thought wasn't to windy and gave it a toss in the air... First flight only lasted a minute or so... things went pretty good for the wind that was coming at me... seemed a little tail heavy so I adjusted the cg a little with the battery and up again....

This time not so good.... either my yard is not big enough or the magnets in the trees were very strong.... stuck it good... took me a while to get it down out of the tree... lol oh well not the first time and sure it wont be the last.... checked for damage... made it ok... lets go again....

Got about another minute of flight and those tree magnets pulled her in again! This time I was not so lucky in the damage department... a few small rips... time to call it a day and make repairs and wait for the winds to give me a break.... So far I think this is really gonna be a fun plane. Hovers easy... nice and slo fly-bys... rolls pretty quick for a slow flyer... or maybe its just me not used to this bird yet. Think i will try a little expo on the ale's next time. More later if the weather ever gives me a break... not looking good this week... and Bike Week is starting this weekend so I might not get much air time.

Thanks to tallflyer and all who have shared info on this great little plane. I'm sure this is gonna be one of my favs! btw, tallflyer... I got the mounts! Thank you! ... just saw your last post ... can't wait to see whats coming... ever thought about making a superslo bipe?
l8rz
~HyperX~
-Herb-
Feb 25, 2010, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HyperX~
Well the weather has been rainy and windy but I couldn't wait any longer so I picked a day I thought wasn't to windy and gave it a toss in the air... First flight only lasted a minute or so... things went pretty good for the wind that was coming at me... seemed a little tail heavy so I adjusted the cg a little with the battery and up again....

This time not so good.... either my yard is not big enough or the magnets in the trees were very strong.... stuck it good... took me a while to get it down out of the tree... lol oh well not the first time and sure it wont be the last.... checked for damage... made it ok... lets go again....

Got about another minute of flight and those tree magnets pulled her in again! This time I was not so lucky in the damage department... a few small rips... time to call it a day and make repairs and wait for the winds to give me a break.... So far I think this is really gonna be a fun plane. Hovers easy... nice and slo fly-bys... rolls pretty quick for a slow flyer... or maybe its just me not used to this bird yet. Think i will try a little expo on the ale's next time. More later if the weather ever gives me a break... not looking good this week... and Bike Week is starting this weekend so I might not get much air time.

Thanks to tallflyer and all who have shared info on this great little plane. I'm sure this is gonna be one of my favs! btw, tallflyer... I got the mounts! Thank you! ... just saw your last post ... can't wait to see whats coming... ever thought about making a superslo bipe?
l8rz
~HyperX~
-Herb-
Thanks for all the input!

I have like 9 new planes and Designs I have done and yes 1 is a bipe!
I just need more time to get all the projects started!
Latest blog entry: Yunnec Typhoon H Review