Jan 02, 2009, 07:09 PM
the CG and servo mout video would be excellent!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2009, 09:27 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Hello TF,

I understand that this thread is geared towards the SSF 28, do most of the same rules apply to the SFF 32? I read some posts some time ago that indicated the 32 could use 2 CF tubes in the Fuse to prevent twisting, any thoughts you can offer there?

I have been wanting to build one for a while, I ran into a fella at an indoor flyin that had built one with foam board, I had a good idea it was a SSF when I seen it. It was his maiden, it few out very well.

Thanks
Ron
Jan 03, 2009, 02:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman77
the CG and servo mout video would be excellent!
I will do a video for Both

thanks for the input some times the stuff we think people always understand is what confuses Us the Most!

Stay Tuned!
Jan 03, 2009, 02:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
Hello TF,

I understand that this thread is geared towards the SSF 28, do most of the same rules apply to the SFF 32? I read some posts some time ago that indicated the 32 could use 2 CF tubes in the Fuse to prevent twisting, any thoughts you can offer there?

I have been wanting to build one for a while, I ran into a fella at an indoor flyin that had built one with foam board, I had a good idea it was a SSF when I seen it. It was his maiden, it few out very well.

Thanks
Ron
Ok to Answer your questions!

A Slofly Plane is A Slofly plane Slofly28, Super Slo28 (my favorite) SuperSlo32
only in the building process!

the first two the slofly28 and the Superslo28 can be built using
1 piece of carbon in the wing (3mm rods what I use)
1 piece in the fuselage (3mm again)
and lets use another in the Elevator ok 3mm again.

Both planes can be built using 1.9 or 1.3# 9mm EPP foam if your a complete newbee and are looking for a what is better then build yours with the 1.9# it add a little more weight to the build but is much stiffer and wont flex as much and both planes will fly good.

once you have mastered the flying of your plane EPP is cheap enough you can take all your gear and make another one (and now save a little weight and go with 1.3) building a perfect slofly means (PER STEVE AT SLOFLY) get it as lite as you can thats why he called it the slofly these planes will float around like no tomorrow. great for a new pilot looking for some hands on stick time.

Now the Slofly32 I would think if you built it out of 1.9 you could use the same setup as the normal slofly 3 rods would be enough.

1.3# might be a little flexy but then again not check out my video of my yak on youtube.

EPP Yak-30 Flying low and Inverted (4 min 19 sec)

this plane has a 30" wingspan and does well so another inch on each side of the wing should be ok!

I reinforced each wing with strapping tape on the leading edge anyways so that takes a little flex out of the wings!
Jan 03, 2009, 09:30 AM
"plane don't hurt"
Quote:
here is the part number for Hobby king

OR004-00602
Thanks!..

Looking forward to more vids of the build.
Jan 03, 2009, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
Ok to Answer your questions!
once you have mastered the flying of your plane EPP is cheap enough you can take all your gear and make another one (and now save a little weight and go with 1.3)
Now the Slofly32 I would think if you built it out of 1.9 you could use the same setup as the normal slofly 3 rods would be enough.
Thanks TF,

I currently have 4 EPP scratch builds from 18' to 34" from 4.2oz to 12oz, got to love that bouncetastic EPP. I would be skipping "the once you have mastered" step and skip right to the "building a perfect slofly" step, I am all about low wing load.

You have given me plenty of things to consider while proceeding forward. Very nice work on your Slofly projects and help btw.

Ron
Jan 03, 2009, 11:53 PM

My SuperSloFly Build

I started my SSF 32 tonight. While the Card Board Templates <from the Video> was a bit of work, the foam cuts after that were great. All I had in stock was 10mm 1.9# from the good folks at RCFoam, so 10mm build it is.

I now understand why the 28 is the more popular, it can be cut out of one 18X36 inch slab of EPP, the 32 required I dig up a scrap for the elevator.

All parts cut out, weight is 68.1 grams. I did double 45 angles on the control hinge edges for a centered pivot. I got to thinking about it, the squared edges on a foamie always seem to get snagged and rough, so a did a light double 45 bevel on nearly everything on the plane, sort of a \_/ type edge, gave it a nice soft look. After the Beveling, it dropped to 58.1 grams.

This is my first time using the Hobby City motor stick, I have had a couple for several months, knowing I wanted to build one. Very slick set up, but just strapping tape worries me to hold it in place. I have a hot wind Blue Wonder that I twisted up a 9T24awg that is going on the stick.

Question..... Sharpie Markers... I have done 2 EPP planes with Sharpies, even weeks after doing them, I still get color transfer on my fingers, then of course, I touch the white foam and finger prints. Tell me this happens to others and not just me. I may just have to get my paint gun out like I did on the Ballerina.

Ron
Jan 04, 2009, 02:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
I started my SSF 32 tonight. While the Card Board Templates <from the Video> was a bit of work, the foam cuts after that were great. All I had in stock was 10mm 1.9# from the good folks at RCFoam, so 10mm build it is.

I now understand why the 28 is the more popular, it can be cut out of one 18X36 inch slab of EPP, the 32 required I dig up a scrap for the elevator.

All parts cut out, weight is 68.1 grams. I did double 45 angles on the control hinge edges for a centered pivot. I got to thinking about it, the squared edges on a foamie always seem to get snagged and rough, so a did a light double 45 bevel on nearly everything on the plane, sort of a \_/ type edge, gave it a nice soft look. After the Beveling, it dropped to 58.1 grams.

This is my first time using the Hobby City motor stick, I have had a couple for several months, knowing I wanted to build one. Very slick set up, but just strapping tape worries me to hold it in place. I have a hot wind Blue Wonder that I twisted up a 9T24awg that is going on the stick.

Question..... Sharpie Markers... I have done 2 EPP planes with Sharpies, even weeks after doing them, I still get color transfer on my fingers, then of course, I touch the white foam and finger prints. Tell me this happens to others and not just me. I may just have to get my paint gun out like I did on the Ballerina.

Ron
Looks good I like the bevel idea!

The sharpie question! I find if I do my design in about 3 coats and let it dry after each drawing it will dry. I call it the rough design (first pass) then I go over the design in a different direction about 15 minutes later) then one more about 15 minutes later works like a champ.

The Cardboard does make a big difference I think also yes it takes a little more time but you cut out on mistakes also.
Jan 04, 2009, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Looks good I like the bevel idea!

The sharpie question! I find if I do my design in about 3 coats and let it dry after each drawing it will dry. I call it the rough design (first pass) then I go over the design in a different direction about 15 minutes later) then one more about 15 minutes later works like a champ.

The Cardboard does make a big difference I think also yes it takes a little more time but you cut out on mistakes also.
I have basically been doing it in coats much like you have said you do, maybe I am putting on the eat coat to heavy. I am kicking around the idea of spraying a very light mist coat of spray can clear just to seal it. The one plane <Maniac> is 6 months old, it still gets Purple on my fingers.

Thanks
Ron
Jan 04, 2009, 09:06 AM
"plane don't hurt"
The sharpie fingerprints seems to only happen on the really dark colors. I have one plane that has a dark blue fuselage and it still transfers to my fingers. But i have another with red sharpie and no problems with that one. The clear coat is a great idea. I was planning on doing that as well. I have also started building , im doing the slofly 28. Although i did print the plans at full size i noticed that the scale is slightly smaller against a real ruler.
Jan 04, 2009, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruji
The sharpie fingerprints seems to only happen on the really dark colors. I have one plane that has a dark blue fuselage and it still transfers to my fingers. But i have another with red sharpie and no problems with that one. The clear coat is a great idea. I was planning on doing that as well. I have also started building , im doing the slofly 28. Although i did print the plans at full size i noticed that the scale is slightly smaller against a real ruler.
I have a dark Purple and a dark Red Sharpies, they are both transfering to fingers. The Bi Plane in the picture, I painted with PPG Automotive Base Coat like you car, without the clear. It is very light and gives the same type of finish as the sharpie. It really smells up the Garage doing it.

Well I am glad you also had the plan to try the light Clear spray to seal it up. I have the spray can next to my desk and now the little Cassutt in completed, I think it is going to get a "light cote".

Thanks
Ron
Jan 04, 2009, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
sounds like it has to do with the color you use! funny black,green,red,yellow,blue, have all worked good for me
Jan 04, 2009, 11:38 AM
Quote:
sounds like it has to do with the color you use! funny black,green,red,yellow,blue, have all worked good for me
I get a little off the Maniac from Yellow, not near as much as the purple. Maybe it has to do with the yellow that is transfered, doesn't show up on our fingers and the white EPP as bad.
Jan 04, 2009, 10:16 PM

Clear Cote Sharpie

I am happy to report that a very light dusting of Wal Mart Spray clear cote on a test piece of EPP stopped the marker from bleeding off. Where I didn't spray the clear, blue fingers.

Being a light dry cote, it should add very little weight. Now to get the pink <red> off all of the white somehow.

Hit a raod block, need CF tube for the wing, the LHS apparently lost their least and have their store in Trucks for a couple weeks. It is not easy being a Hobby Store Front these days.

Ron
Jan 05, 2009, 01:12 PM
"plane don't hurt"
thanks for testing that out Ron! im going to use that method for my future foamies.

Tallflyer i didnt see you mention anything about the thrust angles for the motor mount. Is it just the standard 3 degrees right and down?

Quick Reply