Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 01, 2013, 03:44 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Well that didn't last long, LOL. Didn't even make a second sortie. Crashed on hand toss. Just felt like it weighed a thousand pounds. It was a good ride. Moving on to less frustrating EDFs. Selling my Don's Wicked setup plus Afterburnerz.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1799723
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2013, 04:03 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Sorry to hear that. Why not slap one of those power plants into a Stinger or HP F16?
Jan 01, 2013, 04:06 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
I would normally but I am saving up for the Freewing F/A-18 or BH A-10.
Jan 01, 2013, 10:28 PM
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Sorry to hear that. Why not slap one of those power plants into a Stinger or HP F16?
AROS,

I've got to agree with Don on this one... take that Wicked 4000+ motor and throw it into a Hobby People F-16. When they go on sale, they're $30-35 for the kit... add your fan/motor/ESC and 2x servos, and you've got yourself a 100+ mph jet! (I've got two of them in my "hangar" right now... one 3S, one 4S). Absolutely EASY hand launch... I put some Popsicle sticks on the bottom of mine to act as skids (I land on a paved road), but where you're flying, you won't need them.

Trust me... it's a great setup! I showed up at my field one day with mine, and within a few weeks, two of my flying buddies had them (both with Don's setups in them)... plus, there's not the emotional/financial attachment if you happen to stuff a $30 kit that was filled with "lightly used" parts...

I really need to get my Habu up again... it's been on the sideline with a "sketchy" retract for months... and I've had the replacement part for quite a while... just haven't taken the time to swap it out. I think I'd gotten up to 7 successful sorties so far... maybe I need to get off my can and swap it out!

P.S. I've still got a new kit sitting in my garage if you're in the mood for #11...

-Sully
Jan 02, 2013, 12:23 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68
AROS,

I've got to agree with Don on this one... take that Wicked 4000+ motor and throw it into a Hobby People F-16. When they go on sale, they're $30-35 for the kit... add your fan/motor/ESC and 2x servos, and you've got yourself a 100+ mph jet! (I've got two of them in my "hangar" right now... one 3S, one 4S). Absolutely EASY hand launch... I put some Popsicle sticks on the bottom of mine to act as skids (I land on a paved road), but where you're flying, you won't need them.

Trust me... it's a great setup! I showed up at my field one day with mine, and within a few weeks, two of my flying buddies had them (both with Don's setups in them)... plus, there's not the emotional/financial attachment if you happen to stuff a $30 kit that was filled with "lightly used" parts...

I really need to get my Habu up again... it's been on the sideline with a "sketchy" retract for months... and I've had the replacement part for quite a while... just haven't taken the time to swap it out. I think I'd gotten up to 7 successful sorties so far... maybe I need to get off my can and swap it out!

P.S. I've still got a new kit sitting in my garage if you're in the mood for #11...

-Sully
Maybe you guys are right...I've had a few F-16s and they've always been a blast to fly and very very easy/low stressers as well. Unlike the SR-71.

Sigh. Okay, how much for the kit?
Jan 02, 2013, 12:31 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
I just realized the HP F-16 is the Phase 3...I've had two of them and loved them even bone stock. Don's setup would definitely supercharge it up for sure. Here's two of mine from a couple years back.
Jan 02, 2013, 12:33 AM
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros
Maybe you guys are right...I've had a few F-16s and they've always been a blast to fly and very very easy/low stressers as well. Unlike the SR-71.

Sigh. Okay, how much for the kit?
Just wait for them to go on sale again... right now, they're $60... but I recently saw them on sale for $30 over the holidays. I'd guess that over MLK weekend or President's weekend, you might find a sale again...

Cheers!
-Sully
Jan 02, 2013, 11:48 AM
Those setups you have in the F16 will be 120mph easy, probably closer to 130.

Don
Jan 02, 2013, 12:08 PM
Another vote for the HP F-16. Easy launch, no bad habits. Just reinforce the tail mountings and linkages.
Jan 02, 2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros
Well that didn't last long, LOL. Didn't even make a second sortie. Crashed on hand toss. Just felt like it weighed a thousand pounds. It was a good ride. Moving on to less frustrating EDFs. Selling my Don's Wicked setup plus Afterburnerz.
Damn that suxs! I won't try hand-launches anymore just because they're too dicey with most model's... I tried a few times with a Skyray EDF minus landing gear, was successful a time or two but broke the plane in half 3 times and put the blasted landing gear back in finally! LOL!

I have an unmaidened mint SR-71 here, how much you wanting for your parts? PM me if you like... I may be interested!

- Michael
Jan 02, 2013, 02:25 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael211_2000
I have an unmaidened mint SR-71 here, how much you wanting for your parts? PM me if you like... I may be interested!
Here's the link... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1799723
Jan 02, 2013, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Hey Don,
Maybe we can use my Xmas present to get a do over on the hand launch..

Happy New Year from Evl-1.....
Jan 02, 2013, 08:43 PM
Nice! But do you have a RC talking Dalek!
Jan 02, 2013, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Nice! But do you have a RC talking Dalek!
No I don't, because I am a DALEK!!!!!!

I put the 64mm units in my Dtnam Turbo Twin -- very enjoyable.....

One 70 mm unit is in my HK Vampire..great verticle on 4S

Two 70mm units in my Fanstar --twnstar to EDF conversion - wicked bad...

70mm is going into the Sea Vixen next....

OBEY...OBEY....
Jan 27, 2013, 05:23 PM
--

Habu #3 -- r.i.p.

Well, Fellas --

Sorry to say that HABU #3 suffered a failure of a hinge on the left elevon during her last takeoff after setting her up on my new radio (I hate "re-maidens" just as much as "maidens"). Shortly after takeoff, as she turned from downwind to base, she entered the all-to-common flat spin, and plummeted to her death!

I am happy to report that the power system (Don's Wicked 4000-plus motors!) and the balanced fans, survived the crash without a scratch! That combo WILL fly again -- just not sure if it will be in a SR-71 (although I do have one more kit in my garage)...

Honestly, when the aircraft departed... I had all kinds of time to try different things... but without airspeed -- the rudders, whaletale, and all of the (symmetrical) thrust in the world wasn't going to get her out of the spin.

So... I'm not quite keeping pace with AROS, but I am starting to catch up!

May she rest in piece(s)...

-Sully