Nov 27, 2011, 02:12 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Well since this bird will be a very special one for me, provided through the kindness and generosity of my fellow Habu enthusiasts, I will build this one right from start to finish and document every step. Whale tail, rudders, the best DON'S WICKED setup and thrust tubes.

I may even keep or upgrade the gear. Those hand launches are just too deadly for this bird!

Don what is the latest Wicked power plant recommendation?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2011, 05:38 PM
On the Edge of Space
Some good reading the last couple a three pages. Seems like the consensus is that the whale tail elevators are a mod worth doing, with respect to CG and longitudinal stability. So far Redlite and Bighead are having good success with it, Redlite having installed it on his build. I think it's asking a lot of the stock elevons to both turn and control longitudinal stability. On the stock model, you can't just move the CG forward, because then it really likes to dip the nose in turns. If you compensate with elevons, you need a truckload of reflex, and they are likely to stall before they give you enough up.

I am pretty sure the whale tail will help out with this conundrum. I had a few launches like Todd described using stock elevons only, also a couple of mysterious nose pullups on straight and level flight.
Nov 27, 2011, 05:44 PM
On the Edge of Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
You guys are too much!! You're really serious?
Dude, you earned it, so yeah, we are serious. This bird is a cruel, but beautiful mistress.
Nov 27, 2011, 06:42 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
LOL, alright, alright...So true!!

So should I get the NP or BH kit? You guy's have a pref? I remember someone said they liked BH better because it has more detail. Other than the fueling section aft of the RSO's seat, I didn't notice much of a detail discrepancy between the two kits.

Comments?
Nov 27, 2011, 07:24 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Hey dLdV and Aros, glad to hear you're considering another SR...

We just bought a MJ SR that is just going to be fast. Hand launched, no whale tail, no rudders...nothing but motors, batts, elevons and a speed sensor. It doesn't need to be nice like the LX model for scale looks or fly with manners like the mods provide...this will be just pure speed flown on a loop. We feel with what we learned on this bird will make flying the speed version a little easier.

We'll keep you posted...

Joe
Nov 27, 2011, 08:04 PM
On the Edge of Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
LOL, alright, alright...So true!!

So should I get the NP or BH kit? You guy's have a pref? I remember someone said they liked BH better because it has more detail. Other than the fueling section aft of the RSO's seat, I didn't notice much of a detail discrepancy between the two kits.

Comments?
I didn't notice much of a difference either.
Nov 27, 2011, 08:51 PM
I always find software bugs!
RemE and dLdV,

You guys are awesome! I chipped in my $0.02 earlier today. Thanks for making this become a reality.

Aros,

I don't remember all the steps that led me to this conclusion, but I was under the impression that the Lanxiang SR-71 (LX-71) was supposed to fly a bit better. It has noticeably fewer detail lines molded in the forward fuselage and tailbone. Don originally had the Lanxiang and just bought a MaxJet from NP, so he'll be able to list the differences, if any.

I bought my LX-71 from Dan for $85 + shipping at: http://www.ready2hobby.com/Catalog/LX71.html This is A LOT cheaper than the $200 price I am seeing at BH!

Can't wait to see your work in progress. Happy Holidays!

J
Nov 27, 2011, 10:14 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
I don't think there are any measurable differences in flight performance based on my personal experience with both. The main issue that I have come across is hand tossing. This is not a bird that likes hand tosses unless you have ridiculous thrust to weight ratios.

Mainly, you can't really grip her anywhere secure. Especially when you make the kinds of mods I have for upgraded motors and battery, et al.

I thought my last setup (1300 watts power on two 69mm fans and Delta V motors) would be more than enough torque to leave my fingertips on hand tosses. Not so. Reading through this great thread, I feel that the lack of thrust tubes made a big difference in my hand tossing success.

Because of the kindness of some of you, I really want "Lucky Number 7" to be the Habu I can fly and enjoy for hundreds of sorties.

From what I have discerned, the whale tail mod, the thrust tube mod and maybe even the rudder mod are essential upgrades to provide stability and power. I am still very hesitant to hand toss this latest incarnation. Maybe I will install upgraded gear (hints anyone???) and limit her to my local Junior High school when I have the opportunity. After all, I would much rather lose her to Dumb Thumbs than a hand toss that proved fatal.
Nov 29, 2011, 09:21 AM
Bungie Launch.. is the way to go...IMO ..I am thinking about that cause I am having trouble stearing this bird..It wants to tip over when I imput stearing a high speed...
Ps.. just ran across this link...http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/cat...?categoryId=17
Last edited by sanman55; Nov 29, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
Nov 29, 2011, 09:34 AM
I went ahead and picked up a maxjet version. I'll put it side by side with the LX from banana hobby and we'll find out the differences.
Nov 29, 2011, 12:40 PM
On the Edge of Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55 View Post
Bungie Launch.. is the way to go...IMO ..I am thinking about that cause I am having trouble stearing this bird..It wants to tip over when I imput stearing a high speed...
Ps.. just ran across this link...http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/cat...?categoryId=17
Yeah, probably bungee launch is the ticket if tarmac is not in the picture. Don, Aros and I have all had weird stuff happen on hand launch, with or without thrust tubes. I doubt the tubes make that much difference on launch, since mine launched at much less than full power anyway.
Nov 29, 2011, 12:43 PM
On the Edge of Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Hey dLdV and Aros, glad to hear you're considering another SR...

We just bought a MJ SR that is just going to be fast. Hand launched, no whale tail, no rudders...nothing but motors, batts, elevons and a speed sensor. It doesn't need to be nice like the LX model for scale looks or fly with manners like the mods provide...this will be just pure speed flown on a loop. We feel with what we learned on this bird will make flying the speed version a little easier.

We'll keep you posted...

Joe
Hey redlite, still trying to gather data before building the next one, so it's still sitting on the shelf. Maybe this winter, I have all the ingredients on hand.
Nov 29, 2011, 06:55 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Thread OP
My tracking number shows a Friday delivery. I think I am going to put the same setup I had in the LX version and see how it goes. Still going to handlaunch.
Nov 29, 2011, 07:50 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
This is cool...more new builds.

Post pics if possible...we need to get a good video camera as our guy is hard to nail down...anybody have any good leads for one?

Joe

Quick Reply