Nov 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Wow that is too kind! Although I truly appreciate and am moved by the offer, no worries...With the deals going on at NP and some birthday cash, I'll pick Lucky Number Seven up. You knew I couldn't quit her!!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2011, 06:22 PM
I always find software bugs!
Hi Don,

I bought two Wicked 4000+ motors with 64mm fans quite a few months apart and noticed that the leads on the motors are different colors, the shade of the anodizing is just barely not the same, and that the casting of the end cap is [ever so] slightly changed. One motor has all red leads, and the other multicolored. I'm guessing a different manufacturer or they changed suppliers, etc. I have never run either motor yet, but thought I'd ask if they will still be identical in power? I have no reason to think they wouldn't be, just thought I'd ask. I'm one of those neat freaks that likes to have everything perfect. Had I known I was going to run them in a twin, I would have bought them at the same time!

J
Nov 19, 2011, 06:36 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Thread OP
I get them from the same factor. Anodizing colors vary slightly batch to batch. Heat shrink tubing colors can vary as well. I do not specify shades of anodizing nor do I specify wire lead colors so the factory is allowed to have variances.
Nov 19, 2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks Don. I figured as much. Thanks for the quick reply.

If anyone is interested, the metal landing gear I received from Hobby King is practically made for this plane. The quality is what you'd expect... In two words they are "Meh plus". You will need to tinker with them a bit. I recommend threadlocking the side plates. The picture on HK makes them look better than they are, but for the price I am happy. Although they operate smoothly, I am going to disassemble mine and rebuild them, cleaning up the burrs and drilling a few extra holes for mounting and weight savings. They are lighter than you'd expect, but heavier than the stock set. The are also very robust feeling. The front landing gear is NOT as pictured; the mounting tabs are on the opposite side (they would be on the bottom in the picture shown on HK's website). At first I was disgruntled, but looking at the plane, I am going to trim the 'steps' and it will fit in the gear well perfectly (and I mean perfect!). Either way would work, so if you receive what's pictured, you'd be okay too. The nose gear will require the upper part of the 'shock' to be drilled out to 3mm to accept the stub, but that's easy. The cool part is that you can lose the goofy steering servo mount. The only con would be that the pivot point on the mains is not the same, so you will need to lengthen the gear wire. Putting the stock wire into these retracts results in the height being a 1/2" shorter when extended. I am putting the Blackbird aside for about a week to get caught up on some other stuff, but I will post pics soon. Just wanted to throw this out there so if anyone else wanted to buy them, go for it, you won't be disappointed [that much]!

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12955

J
Nov 20, 2011, 12:03 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
When you get a chance, post some shots of the gear...sounds cool...

Joe
Nov 25, 2011, 02:17 PM
You guys find any good deals? I don't see the SR-71 on sale (specifically for Black Friday) anywhere.
Nov 25, 2011, 02:36 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Thread OP
I got the kit from nitroplanes and used one of the free shipping codes they had posted on facebook.

Don
Nov 26, 2011, 08:39 AM
On the Edge of Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennamer
I'll donate $20 towards helping Aros getting another airframe. Any other takers? We could have him on AF#7 in no time, with little out of pocket expense for him. I mean isn't $2000 enough already? Let's help a brother out!

I'm being serious BTW.

J
I am in.
Nov 26, 2011, 08:40 AM
On the Edge of Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros
Wow that is too kind! Although I truly appreciate and am moved by the offer, no worries...With the deals going on at NP and some birthday cash, I'll pick Lucky Number Seven up. You knew I couldn't quit her!!
Let it be at least partly on us. We are inspired by your tenacity and love of the plane.
Nov 26, 2011, 05:42 PM
"Let it be at least partly on us. We are inspired by your tenacity and love of the plane."

Well said dLdV.

Unless you know him personally though, the tough part will be getting him to accept our contributions.

I am still in. We are up to $40!

J
Nov 26, 2011, 07:13 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
You guys are too much!! You're really serious?
Nov 26, 2011, 09:29 PM
"Because I was pǝʇɹǝʌuı"
Two more successful flights today! Nothing like a high speed pass at 2' off the deck!!! Now I need to get someone out there with a camera!! BTW that makes flights 19, 20!
Nov 27, 2011, 03:10 AM
Hi Aros

"You guys are too much!! You're really serious? "

Yes we are serious. It's not like we think you are a charity case or anything, it's just a friendly gift. If it will make you feel better, use your Photoshop skills and design us a 1px x 1px transparent .gif and we'll buy it for $40! PM dLdV and I your PP address! My wife will even chip in another $10 just so I'll quit talking about it.

J
Nov 27, 2011, 01:50 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Well I'll swallow any wallowing pride and just flat out accept your overwhelming generosity! I am truly honored and floored! If there's anything I can do in return please let me know. I am all for paying it forward. Graphics, whatever!

THANK YOU GUYS!!!
Nov 27, 2011, 01:59 PM
Tweaker
I'm in for $20 but i want to see pictures, I love this plane and someone should be flying! PM me your PP and it's yours.

Quick Reply