Oct 31, 2011, 08:51 PM
I always find software bugs!
Hi guys.

I finally ordered my second fan and motor from Don today. I will be running twin Wicked 4000+ motors with AF64 fans. My new receiver just shipped today as well, so all I need is a pair of 4S batteries and some time to build it. My Blackbird might be on the heavy side running twin Hobbywing 60A ESCs and two small 4S batteries, but you know what they say... With enough power, anything will fly! I guess we'll see what happens. ;-) I'm a little rusty on the planes, and you guys say this thing is a handful, so hopefully I (and the plane) will have what it takes. Glad to see people are actively flying theirs. I need to get mine in the air soon, because come summer, I won't even be able to take it outside. It will literally just melt! I have another (unfinished) plane this already happened to, and it was light grey!

J
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2011, 08:13 PM
If you plan to take off on a runway be sure to change out the landing gear..If the bird is heavy the landing gear will not be able to handle it...I used my old su-34 gear and it works fine...
Mine is weighing in at a total 55 1/2 oz..{.including a 16 oz. battery...}
Nov 01, 2011, 09:29 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
After burners came in and are now installed on the SR. Thanks, Joe, they are fantastic! Well thought out engineering resulted in a painless upgrade. All the leads were perfect length and after letting the burners open up a bit larger than the tubes, they locked themselves in place without adhesive. Nice.

About a 150 lights and when they reflect off the clear yellow thrust tube, I get double the number! I'm leaving the tail cone centering ring off so it doesn't block the lights. I built the thrust tubes to Don's specs and it fits so tight, I can lift the model by the cones alone. They're not going anywhere...

This was the last upgrade planned, so now some relaxed flights are due. Maintenance on this model surpasses anything else in hangar, but worth every minute. Planned video coming as soon as weather permits.

Thanks again, Joe, for a great product at a great price.

Joe
Nov 01, 2011, 09:57 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Just wait until you see them in the air. They are awesome!
Nov 01, 2011, 10:08 PM
"Because I was pǝʇɹǝʌuı"
Can't wait to fly her Joe!
Nov 01, 2011, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite
After burners came in and are now installed on the SR. Thanks, Joe, they are fantastic! Well thought out engineering resulted in a painless upgrade. All the leads were perfect length and after letting the burners open up a bit larger than the tubes, they locked themselves in place without adhesive. Nice.

About a 150 lights and when they reflect off the clear yellow thrust tube, I get double the number! I'm leaving the tail cone centering ring off so it doesn't block the lights. I built the thrust tubes to Don's specs and it fits so tight, I can lift the model by the cones alone. They're not going anywhere...

This was the last upgrade planned, so now some relaxed flights are due. Maintenance on this model surpasses anything else in hangar, but worth every minute. Planned video coming as soon as weather permits.

Thanks again, Joe, for a great product at a great price.

Joe
Glad you're diggin' them!
On my first one, i used a clear centering ring. Looks like you figured out that the thrust tube will stay in place just using the afterburnerz.
Nov 02, 2011, 12:18 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Systems now operational...

Landing lights/beacons

Afterburners

Mech retracts/more scale like LG

Live video down link to a remote station

Pitot tube

Elevons, whale tail and rudder movable surfaces

CC BEC is still working great

Extra battery hatch really helps

Still flying a pair of Prolite V2 3s 2100's...saves a quarter pound over standard fare...

We're at 46 ounces +/-...I'll weigh it at final paint.

May get a DX-8 with telemetry...yeah, that's what we need...

Joe
Nov 02, 2011, 12:30 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Oh yeah...Don's Wicked system...

Still chasing 90...we're at 86...tail wind forecast this weekend...hmmm...
Last edited by redlite; Nov 02, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Nov 02, 2011, 12:32 AM
So...

Just out of curiosity, how much are these 'burners'? I might wait until after I see if I can fly this before I go that route, but they do look cool.

Also, is there a set of aftermarket landing gear that is known to fit this plane that will help me avoid any problems in the future? I'd rather change them out now before the rest of the plane gets messed from a gear failure.

Thanks.

J
Nov 02, 2011, 12:43 AM
90?

I'm going for 100! :-) The whole reason I got this plane!

My plan is a twin 4S, full throttle power dive into a low altitude, high speed pass!

Hopefully it won't end like the Northrop M2-F2! (The Six Million Dollar Man opening credits lifting body crash) If it does, maybe I'll have some video!

J
Nov 02, 2011, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennamer
So...

Just out of curiosity, how much are these 'burners'? I might wait until after I see if I can fly this before I go that route, but they do look cool.

Also, is there a set of aftermarket landing gear that is known to fit this plane that will help me avoid any problems in the future? I'd rather change them out now before the rest of the plane gets messed from a gear failure.

Thanks.

J
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/retractab...ueryId=2114252

With a little mod work, widening the opening on the sr-71, and I would use the wheels on the sr-71 these are a cheap and strong choice, IMO.
You are just useing the retract part of the new landing gear.I did find you might need to use new 3mm wire too...I just went to my local dealer for the wire...the original wire was a little short..but its really easy, bend to 90 degrees for the mains and a short wire for the front. Do not forget to flat spot the wires for the set screws..I know it sounds like some work but it really is easy and cheap...There is a little slop cause the wires not real tight but I found that is not a problem..The reason I said might is cause I used the gear off my su-34 and the ones I pointed y ou to are for the f-35 but the retract part is the same..I hope this is not too confuseing??? When you mod there are very few drop in parts

I too would like to know more on these afterburners...Did you make them Joe ? Missed that part of the thread..
Last edited by sanman55; Nov 02, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Nov 02, 2011, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55
I too would like to know more on these afterburners...Did you make them Joe ? Missed that part of the thread..
Actually, they weren't part of this particular thread, but it did migrate here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1126552
Last edited by Joe 1320; Nov 02, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
Nov 02, 2011, 10:40 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite
Systems now operational...

Landing lights/beacons

Afterburners

Mech retracts/more scale like LG

Live video down link to a remote station

Pitot tube

Elevons, whale tail and rudder movable surfaces

CC BEC is still working great

Extra battery hatch really helps

Still flying a pair of Prolite V2 3s 2100's...saves a quarter pound over standard fare...

We're at 46 ounces +/-...I'll weigh it at final paint.

May get a DX-8 with telemetry...yeah, that's what we need...

Joe
How much are you selling her for, cuz I'm buying!
Nov 02, 2011, 11:56 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Bighead owns this one...I'm just the hangar ape. PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Have you been bone-piling your SR's? The reason I'm asking is I need the forward two hatches for better wire harness inspections. If you have two good ones, I'm game...

Joe
Nov 02, 2011, 07:07 PM
Hi Sanman,

I checked out the link for the landing gear and am all for buying them when they come in stock... but... what exactly is the problem that these gear fix? I guess I should have asked that earlier. Does the base of the retract break upon landing? Looking over my gear, it seems the area by the hinge pin might be a little weak. Is that the problem?

Thanks,

J

Quick Reply