Nov 23, 2009, 10:42 AM
Student of Ivan
Jeff,

Hope to see some building again on yours now that the leaves have fallen. I blew the dust off mine and am progressing again. I've also updated the cut files for the 600 version as I missed a few little things. They should be correct at least up to the wing ribs now. Anyone using my 600 files would be well advised to double check them before having them cut.

John
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2009, 02:47 PM
build like there is no 2moz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElecRC
Progress update...

I have dry-fitted everything and by making up some slotted blocks for the flap hinges, I can install the control surfaces after covering. I hate covering around protuding bits...
Hi Jeff

I too suffered the same fate with my slotted flaps, except i was BRAVE/STUPID and covered them with linkage in situ

they are worth the hassle, as make it a real treat to fly very slowly.

I include some pics as encouragement.

scott

p.s. just a quick warning, possibly add some gusseting to the flaps, over Ivans plans, as mine like to pick up twists, which makes for some interesting flying
Feb 22, 2010, 08:40 PM

Cut files for 600 Twin Otter

Hi Mountainman: You have posted a cut file for the 600 Twin Otter.At one point I read you had missed a couple of parts,and intended to add them to the file.
Is the file complete now?
I just got a quote today from Ivan for the plans, was thinking of Mr Aerodesign for the lazer cut parts.
I have never built a scratch built plane before, apparently there is no material list to know what and how much to buy.
Ivan suugested qunatities of materials for the whole airplane ,would you be able to give me an idea of the material I would need if I got the lazer parts cut. Ivan cuts all his strips from sheets, buys in bulk.
There is a balsa supplier in Ontario, so I can keep it all in Canada.
I intend to use Scorpion brushless motors, Turnigy ESC's, Hitec servos. Doug Bartley
Feb 22, 2010, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley
...There is a balsa supplier in Ontario, so I can keep it all in Canada...
Do tell please.
Feb 28, 2010, 02:16 PM

Balsa supplier in Ontario.

Hi etotheo: Just came back to this site, realized it was me you where asking!
Sorry for the slow response.

Don's Bass and Balsa, 116 Main Street East, Grimsby, Ontario L3N 1N8
Telephone is 905-945-5647. He regularily attends the KW fly in Sept. I saw him there last fall. Supposed to be a good guy to deal with. He has no website that I've seen. Maybe I missed it. Doug B
Feb 28, 2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Hi etotheo: Just came back to this site, realized it was me you where asking!
Sorry for the slow response.

Telephone is 905-945-5647. He regularily attends the KW fly in Sept. I saw him there last fall. Supposed to be a good guy to deal with. He has no website that I've seen. Maybe I missed it. Doug B
Bass and Balsa! I like it.
Thanks Doug.
Feb 28, 2010, 08:20 PM

Balsa and airplanes!!

etotheo: My pleasure, hope it helps. I'll be contacting him myself for materials.
Plans are on their way from Ivan Pettigrew for a "600 Twin Otter" (83" WS).
Owen Sound Barnstormers is having their Annual Funfly June12,2010. Come on up and join us! flytwice
Feb 28, 2010, 09:03 PM
Boffin
Quote:
That's Don Wilson, one of the brothers of the original Easybuilt before the company went to the US. I haven't been there for many years but he was still cutting wood from cants (logs) in the barn.

The high quality basswood comes right from the Niagara escarpment. I used to get offcuts for woodcarving for free from a company that made peach baskets in Grismby when I was a kid.

Rick.
May 03, 2010, 11:12 PM

Progress!

Hey Folks, after about a year hiatus, I've decided to resume this project. I haven't been into RC too much lately, but it's bugged me that I didn't finish this bird, so hopefully I can see it through to the end.

Anyway, I've been working on the engine nacelles and trying to figure out how to get outrunners to work with these plans. So I built a mini firewall and mounted the motor on that with the rotating can facing the prop.

The next challenge was redesigning the cowl to work. Rather than have a fixed nacelle, I decided to make a removable cowl forward of the wing by adding a 1/4" balsa former doubler at the wingtip with a hole big enough to fit around the motor. This doubler will mate flush with the cowl former that is glued to the wing-side of the engine nacelle.

I had to compromise with the appearance of the nacelle because of how the motor and prop adapter protrude from the front face of the cowling. I wont be able to double up with formers here to make a nice rounded nose on the nacelle. Oh well. No one will notice.

May 04, 2010, 12:21 AM
Your build had always looked so nice I'm gad to see you're back at it. The prize in the end is worth it! Those nacelles look pretty good to me, the Twin Otter isn't the most absolute scale airplane to begin with anyway. You're definitely going to have enough power for some wild flying though.

Luke
May 04, 2010, 02:24 AM
Yeah, as luke said

good to see you back on the twotter.... at east you can get to your motors easily
just don't ask how horrible the original can be if you loose the pinion wheel in the gearbox

its looking good though, any possible ideas for a colour scheme?

scott
May 04, 2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallis_100
Yeah, as luke said

good to see you back on the twotter.... at east you can get to your motors easily
just don't ask how horrible the original can be if you loose the pinion wheel in the gearbox

its looking good though, any possible ideas for a colour scheme?

scott
Hey Scott, thanks for the pics of your finished Otter, it looks nice.

What do you mean by gusseting on the flaps? Little triangles between the former and leading/trailing edge?

If you check out my first post I attached an image of the colour scheme I'm going to do.

Here are some more pics of the NRC Twin Otter.
May 04, 2010, 03:01 PM
Apologies, i missed those in my excitement...lol

yeah, exactly that. i found the flaps very prone to twisting under covering loads, (either triangulate the formers to LE/TE, or add a solid lower skin)

apart from that it flies a treat (i even did a flapped take off from floatd, in true shorts STOL style (off the water in 2 feet and climb at 45 degrees, till 10 ft, then level off)

scott

p.s. i have somke more (and newer photos of the twin otter)
when i get a chance (after thurs) i'll put them up on my build thread for it...
there are some real nice fly bys with flaps down in there

scott
Jan 17, 2011, 10:29 AM
There is a cut file showing on page 3 of this thread in .DWG format. When I view this file it shows the layout on several sheets of balsa and ply that could be laser cut. But, there are no formers or ribs showing and other than the nacelle fronts, a lot of the parts are not obviously for the Twin Otter.
Is this .DWG the correct one? Has anyone here used that file to get a short kit made up? Does anyone have the Manzano short kit and does it have the ribs and formers?
Jan 17, 2011, 12:02 PM
Yes, I got a short the kit of the 600 version from Manzano about 1.5 to 2 years ago and matched the parts to Ivan's plans. All conformed to Ivan's plan. I didn't build it because I was able to obtain an already built one. The short kit does have the ribs and formers. It REALLY flys nice with the brushed motors and specified construction.