Ivan Pettigrew Twin Otter 480 Build - Page 6 - RC Groups
Jan 23, 2009, 10:54 AM
John and Paul, I like your ideas I think I will do that, because I will probably muck up trying to cut the ribs.

Yay now I can sleep again.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2009, 11:05 AM
Iīm the "Before Club"
Hi Jeff
I donīt understand well if the problem is this , but I will do as well as in the pictures, so the cover (ultracote, monokote) is better, I have seen done in many wings.
John I have tried open the Coreldraw file but I canīt open the file , maybe my old CorelDraw, but I canīt see anything, my version is 8, maybe it is time that yours is more recent.
Carlos
Jan 25, 2009, 03:57 AM
Student of Ivan
Jeff,

Looking through my Beverley build pics I found this cropped photo that shows a"fixed" rib.

John
Jan 25, 2009, 01:26 PM
I've decided to do the above suggestion of making it a "J-beam" by gluing a strip of 1/8" square stock along the bottom edge of the profile (good thing its a flat-bottom). The top of the rib I am currently capping with two overlapping strips of 1/16" strips.

I'm also making servo pockets in the wings rather than use two big standard servos at the wing center with all that linkagey nonsense. I am putting 4 HS-81's in the wings.

I lent my camera out, so will have to wait a couple days for updated pics.
Jan 25, 2009, 02:09 PM
Great build, now subscribed.

If you are looking for slow flight, may I reiterate the masters comments.

Build in lightness!

So minimise the use of Gorilla Glue and substitute balsa filler with lightweight spackle, it will make a difference.

I have built an IP Mosquito without the cuffs on the wings. I use Lipo packs and brushless motors and she is a real sweetie to fly. She comes in slower than a lot of the park fliers I see flying and retains aileron control right down to the stall which is really slow for a machine of its size.

Keep going!
Feb 01, 2009, 12:33 PM
Progress update...

I finished capping my ribs and sanded down the excess. After that I built the ailerons and flaps and started fitting the flap mechanism. As you can see I have built servo pockets in the wings that are flush with the bottom surface of the wing. For the ailerons the only protrusion from the bottom will be the control horn. And for the flaps the entire mechanism will be "inside" the wing just like on the plans.

I have dry-fitted everything and by making up some slotted blocks for the flap hinges, I can install the control surfaces after covering. I hate covering around protuding bits...
Feb 01, 2009, 01:35 PM
Iīm the "Before Club"
Hi Jeff
It is a good solution to the problem, look very good, forward ever is less for the end...........
Carlos
Feb 02, 2009, 12:08 AM
East Coast subscribing..!

Great work Jeff,
thanks..

Bill
Mar 21, 2009, 12:57 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
How is built coming?
Apr 14, 2009, 11:12 AM
ARF Hater Club
A bump for this!
I am considering a build project over the summer and either the Otter or one of the Shorts from Ivan caught my eye.
It is possible to get cut files fro both the 480 and 600 version, yes?
Apr 14, 2009, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyeflight89
A bump for this!
I am considering a build project over the summer and either the Otter or one of the Shorts from Ivan caught my eye.
It is possible to get cut files fro both the 480 and 600 version, yes?
Tommy,

Yup I posted the 480 cut files in this thread (make sure you find the latest version later in the thread). MountainMan posted the scaled up 600 size files.

Jeff
May 04, 2009, 09:53 AM
build like there is no 2moz
Hi Jeff,

I too have been building a twin otter 480 from Ivans plans.
Your making good progress, and i can't wait to see another one fly.

I maidened mine only last week and it flew straight off the board, so i guess yours will be the same. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1042352

i'm now looking at fitting floats as it has plenty of power, and i want to ty some water flying before i build one of Ivans minicats

scott
Jul 22, 2009, 08:44 AM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Any progress on the build, Jeff? Tommy, did you ever decide to go ahead with some sort of summer build?
Jul 22, 2009, 12:09 PM
Nope no progress, sadly. RC modeling has taken a back seat to my social life since the end of of winter. I would like to finish it, so I'll probably resume the build next winter.
Jul 24, 2009, 12:12 AM
Boffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElecRC
Nope no progress, sadly. RC modeling has taken a back seat to my social life since the end of of winter. I would like to finish it, so I'll probably resume the build next winter.
So what's this thing you call a social life? Tell us more, its unheard of around here

Rick.