Ivan Pettigrew Twin Otter 480 Build - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 09, 2008, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ
That sounds about par for the course on an Ivan build! The good thing is it makes you more confident and indepedent on future builds.

Luke
I hope you're right because I ordered the Beverly and Martin Mars plans. I must be nuts!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
And I hope you have a big hangar!
Dec 10, 2008, 12:41 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
Following with interest, I have the 600 size plans as well as the Beverly plans which I have started and posted a build thread. I am hoping to get to the Twotter some time in the Spring. With all the threads available on the different Ivan's plans there is a wealth of information available to help, especially with his unique build style.

Have you decided on power systems yet? I personally was a big supporter of brushless motors but have decided to use the brushed system as called for on the Beverly plans.

Good luck with your build, I look forward to seeing more progress

cooper998
Dec 24, 2008, 11:34 PM
More progress: I carved and sanded the nose cone, the top and bottom sheeting is done, the hatch is sanded and fitted, landing gear formed and installed.
Dec 25, 2008, 06:01 AM
man, this is an awesome build. I'm going to build one of Ivan's planes this winter, but I can't choose which one, I'm thinking maybe the minicat.
This is coming along really nicely, can't wait to see more.
Dec 25, 2008, 12:19 PM
Nicely done! You're a meticulous and careful builder I can tell. You're going to have a great plane to fly in 2009!

Luke
Dec 25, 2008, 12:45 PM
Two left thumbs
Very nice work. You've made me want to drag out my Ivan's plans and... But no, I've already got too many unfinished projects!

Keep up the good work!

Geoff
Dec 25, 2008, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ
Nicely done! You're a meticulous and careful builder I can tell. You're going to have a great plane to fly in 2009!

Luke
Awe shucks. Yer just saying that because my workspace looks clean.
Dec 25, 2008, 03:36 PM
A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind. LOL
Dec 28, 2008, 02:28 PM
Student of Ivan
Jeff,

Great progress! Looks like you did a fine job rounding the nose. I always seem to get into trouble carving and wind up having to "grow" the area after taking a bit too much off...

Since the wing will obviously be next, what are you using for power?

If anyone is interested, I have the 600 size cut files done and will post them soon, just need to add a couple of duplicate formers (6B-10B) that I forgot before I sent the files to be cut. Everything looks good but since I haven't actually started construction, there's no guarantees that everything will fit. I'll update as the build progresses.

Oh, and I used Manzano Laser Works to cut the files. Fast and friendly service!

John
Dec 28, 2008, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman2442
Jeff,

Great progress! Looks like you did a fine job rounding the nose. I always seem to get into trouble carving and wind up having to "grow" the area after taking a bit too much off...

Since the wing will obviously be next, what are you using for power?

If anyone is interested, I have the 600 size cut files done and will post them soon, just need to add a couple of duplicate formers (6B-10B) that I forgot before I sent the files to be cut. Everything looks good but since I haven't actually started construction, there's no guarantees that everything will fit. I'll update as the build progresses.

John
Good work on the 600 size files, I hope some people can use them. So far no issues with my laser cut pieces, assuming you grabbed the latest version I posted awhile back

Yes, the wing is next for me. I am having trouble deciding when to put the Fuselage down, so I did one of the landing gear fairings and decided that was a pain in the bum and I would come back to the other wheel fairing when I finished the wing.

As for power, I plan on using twin Turnigy C3530-1100 brushless outrunners with Castle Creations 25A Phoenix controllers. Props will be GWS 9x7 3 bladers for the scale look. Given the cost effectiveness of these outrunners and the relative light workload for scale flying, I think it will be a good match.

Judging from lying the motor on top of the plans, I should be able to build a firewall on the end of the square dowel to mount the motors.
Dec 28, 2008, 07:19 PM
Yargh, the landing gear fairings! I hate compound curvy bits. I did my best to sand and fit these, but I ended up using generous amounts of balsa filler. I hope this stuff stands up to forces on the gear and doesnt crack... Any suggestions? Can I seal the filler, because it's kinda soft? The covering will hold it in right?
Dec 29, 2008, 02:03 PM
Just enlarge the slot where the gear wire exits the fairing so the wire will not contact the fairing during taxi/landing. The fairing for the gear leg should finnish it nicely. Nice work.

Dave.
Dec 29, 2008, 03:22 PM
Great work - subscribe!

Mike
Dec 30, 2008, 05:32 PM
Right, I set aside the fuselage and started on the wing. First step is to build the spar. To that end, I picked up a roll of thin vellum paper and traced the outline of the center section of the spar so I could cut a piece with the correct dihedral. Sadly, now I cannot say no animals were harmed in the making of my Twotter. Next I whipped out my pile of 3/32" balsa sheets, weighed them individually, and selected the "heaviest" of the lot to be used for the spars.

A half-hour of cutting, glueing, and pinning later, I had spliced together a wing spar. In the pics below you can gaze upon the size and breadth of my building table, I use a piece of corkboard below the plans to pin stuff down.

I added the hardwood sticks to the top and bottom of the spar using CA glue, then pinned the spar down on its edge and had at 'er with the wing formers. Nothing fancy here, it's just a hershey bar with some nugget tossed in. However, some things to note: I had to sand the notches on the formers a bit to get them to fit the leading and trailing edge spars, I drilled holes in the formers as well, and I used a 1/16 sheet temporarily under the leading edge to leave room for the leading edge D-tubing. I also decided to build the wing WITH the leading edge cuff. My reasoning is that I want to be able to fly the twotter really really slowly.