Ivan Pettigrew Twin Otter 480 Build - Page 2 - RC Groups
Nov 21, 2008, 10:23 AM
More updates coming. Just want to address your remarks:

vonJaerschky: Good to see despite the downturn that Viking it turning out some Twotters. I checked out some of the threads/videos about yours. You have the RTModel version right?

redjem13: I don't know if the 480 is an exact scale down of the 600. That would be a question for Mr. P. If so, my files should be scaleable.

CARL S: Good! Buy Ivan's plans and I'll be posting my files soon. It would be easy for you to get them cut from www.mraerodesign.com. Stay tuned.

jollyroger: I was the guy in line behind you to get scammed by RTModel. I ordered a Twotter and CL-415 from them, but never got them after two months. Luckily Visa was able to reverse the Paypal charges with no dispute and I got my money back. Good to see RTModels website is now down.

Anyway, You're probably one of the last ones with their kit. From what I've seen the Pettigrew twotter is much more scale detailed. The RTmodel one is a bit boxier looking.

As for converting paper-plans to CAD files. I only did the parts with curves on them as those are harder to cut by hand. The conversion process is very time consuming because it involves manually tracing over curved graphics. No corrections from the plans are neccesary, just need to trace the part, add break-off tabs and cut and paste onto sheets of balsa to be laser cut.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2008, 12:30 PM
Anyway, I've glued on the top and bottom bulkheads and longerons. I also started my first piece of sheeting. Since I'm not too good at sheeting, I am doing it in smaller sections to the halfway point of a longeron and bulkhead, and then butting the next piece of sheet to the other half.

I use the method of tack-gluing the rough-sized sheet in place with CA. Then wetting, shaping and trimming the sheet in place. This is how I learned to do it with Steven's Aero kits. The challenge comes in trimming a wet piece of balsa because it doesnt cut too well against the grain.
Nov 21, 2008, 05:12 PM
Im the "Before Club"
Jeff, congratulations by the thread, it is always nice to hear more about any plane for Ivan.
As many as you know, I am building a Minicat this year and I have spent the main rib even Corel Draw file , thinking of sending it to cut all the ribs of the central zone, as they are same.
The person who makes this hard work has long been known that until all this is true, my right to draw a rib almost brings me two days to complete out perfect , when I start the wing build and if everything fits perfectly, send this file to Ivan , so that they attach to the next plans of MINICAT buyers, thus saving the trouble of having to do.
In this way, all followers of the ivan plans , this way we will all benefit from these files, it is always good to share ..........
Carlos
Nov 21, 2008, 05:50 PM

Twin Otter

I for one am very happy to see a build on this model. I was aware of other plans out there and even ordered a set(not Ivans).
I have had a order in at Richmoundrd since last March of this year. Called them again a few days ago, and now Vmar says Jan,09. I am too stubborn to drop out now(maybe I should say stupid). Guys who have received thier TO. seem to agree it is an okay model for a ARF.
I live in Oregon and if anyone in the Portland area knows of a good Lazer cutting service I would love to to get the files to them and begin cutting.

Definately going to follow this thread.
regards:
Peter
Nov 21, 2008, 09:32 PM
Jeff, I knew this would happen to RT Models eventually. Bad reutation means the end of your business and possibly legal trouble.
I may be able to make some changes to the kit once I start building but would need to compare with a more scale like drwaing. Building with stick frames does have its advantages.
There are some laser cutters who can scan the print into a DXF and then using a CAD program, can make any changes necessary before cutting. It seems these types of scanners and the software to drive them may be some expensive. There are a few cutters here in the lower 48 who can do this.
Build looks good so far, keep up the good work.
cheers
Nov 21, 2008, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElecRC
vonJaerschky: I checked out some of the threads/videos about yours. You have the RTModel version right?
I built mine from scratch from the Model Airplane News plans. But yes, that is the same airplane that RT models "Kitted". My Twin Otter was actually designed by a local guy in Vancouver, Anton Eisele. It's a great flying model. I flew it off floats earlier this year, and it is just as sweet on the water as it is flying from wheels.
Nov 21, 2008, 11:01 PM
Jeff, greetings from Texas. I just finished my first build thread here on RCGs, and throughly enjoyed it. Good luck on your build!! Looking forward to the end product!!

Trey
Nov 22, 2008, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpont
I live in Oregon and if anyone in the Portland area knows of a good Lazer cutting service I would love to to get the files to them and begin cutting.
Peter, Manzano Laser Works isn't located in Oregon but they do laser cutting and have been supplying modelers here in the scale electric forum for some years with good comments. Just one place you might consider.

Luke
Nov 22, 2008, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky
I built mine from scratch from the Model Airplane News plans. But yes, that is the same airplane that RT models "Kitted". My Twin Otter was actually designed by a local guy in Vancouver, Anton Eisele. It's a great flying model. I flew it off floats earlier this year, and it is just as sweet on the water as it is flying from wheels.
That's my plan for this plane. There are a number of float manufacturers out there so it shouldn't be a big deal to find a pair to fit. There should be some plans kicking around somewhere for a set .
I have some misgivings concerning accuracy of the cutting, but I guess I'll find out. I was supposed to get a full kit but received the short kit version...oh well, it's better than nothing which is what a few people ended up with.
There are a lot of lakes up here in Northern Michigan and float flying is starting to catch on...why it took so long I don't know. I have a Puddle Master, my Seniorita is convertable to floats and have an E-Flight DH Beaver and the .25 size floats for it. So I'm beginning to build up my water fleet.
Now I need to buy a boat for the retrieval system that always seems to be needed for this type of activity.
Nov 22, 2008, 08:57 AM
D.G.B.
Not to take work from manzano lazer cutting.But here are some business's that do laser cutting. These are in the states
www.bhplans.com bob holman, Ca.
www.laserlizard.com texas
www.ak-models.com ohio

I have delt with all these companies without any trouble.

KOMET44
Nov 22, 2008, 02:35 PM

manzanolaser.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ
Peter, Manzano Laser Works isn't located in Oregon but they do laser cutting and have been supplying modelers here in the scale electric forum for some years with good comments. Just one place you might consider.

Luke
Yes Luke, Thanks for suggesting Charlie. He has been very helpful to me on many projects. I was just looking for someone in the local area. We have about 2 million people in our region and I figured maybe someone had some experience with and transaction with a local lazer cutter.
Peter
Nov 23, 2008, 01:01 AM
Peter let me know if you find one! I agree it's always good to patronize locally if possible.

Luke
Nov 23, 2008, 01:27 AM
Student of Ivan
Jeff,

Maybe my wife is right, sometimes I don't pay attention...

When I saw this thread, I completely forgot that Ivan made a smaller Twotter. Being slightly confused by the fact that of the two different Solent plans, the larger is the 480 and the smaller the 400. With the Twin Otters, the 480 is the smaller size and the 600 is the larger. Guess which plan I have...

However, the good news for any 600 Twin Otter builders is that the wonderful CAD files Jeff has offered to share appear to match the larger plans when scaled up by 1.25X. I haven't verified this with Ivan but it seems that he just deceased (or increased) most of his original plan to produce the other size Twin Otter.

I'll pass on more info on sizing up the CAD files as I progress.

Thanka again to Jeff for sharing these by the way!

John
Nov 23, 2008, 12:48 PM

By popular demand.

Ok guys, I won't hold out any longer. There seems to be lots of interest for the part files so I'll share them now with the disclaimer that they may not be perfect! Please don't yell at me if you use the files before I finish this build and find something wrong.

Format is .dwg which I think is compatible with many CAD programs. Let me know if another format is needed.

Also note: I have doubled the number of outboard leading edge wing formers so you have the option of building with or without the NACA leading edge cuff. I.e. use part labelled "1" instead of "2N" if you do not want the cuff.

EDIT: Found mistakes in tail section area. Fixing and will repost...
Last edited by JeffElecRC; Nov 23, 2008 at 07:21 PM.
Nov 23, 2008, 12:57 PM
Finished sheeting turtledeck to the tail and added landing gear plates. Pretty straightforward stuff.

For Ply to Balsa glueing I use Gorilla Glue, hence all the clamps and the leftover foamy goodness.
Last edited by JeffElecRC; Nov 23, 2008 at 01:05 PM.