Nov 18, 2008, 06:09 PM

Res

It would be fun and cool to mix the spoilers for some aileron effect, although that would be illegal in some competitions such as RES I understand.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2008, 06:45 PM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo01
It would be fun and cool to mix the spoilers for some aileron effect, although that would be illegal in some competitions such as RES I understand.
I tried it on a Jester... wasn't worth the mixing in the Tx. Polyhedral wings were to stable.
Nov 18, 2008, 06:56 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS

mixing spoiler/rudder

I did it in one of my Sagitta's once and it was not the difference of ailerons, but it was helpful in the LZ. And no it would not be legal in RES.,... Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz
I tried it on a Jester... wasn't worth the mixing in the Tx. Polyhedral wings were to stable.
Nov 18, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Brian..... I'll be watching you...

Jack
Nov 18, 2008, 07:35 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS

Waching me ??

I been watching you too Jack.. . Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Brian..... I'll be watching you...

Jack
Nov 18, 2008, 08:08 PM
VegasRay
Thread OP

EZ Spoiler Weights

The overall weight is minor. The total mechanism, servo and linkage, for each spoiler weighs less than 1/2 ounce. All of the parts are available at your local hobby shop. This is a perfect setup for your Riser 100.
Nov 18, 2008, 08:37 PM
Mongo like wind. Wind Good.
That's a really neat set up.

Looks like it's been around awhile though.

Brian Joder thought of this a few years back and published it on his website.
It was used on the Superhawk sailplane and still is today.

Here's the link:

http://hobiehawk.com/RESsuperHawk.html

The spoilers and rudder are mixed with a switch. Makes a HUGE difference in roll rates (snap rolls are possible). I believe it is against RES contest rules to use it during sanctioned events as per AMA rules though...

Thermals,

Tony
Nov 18, 2008, 09:53 PM
Are you serious?
So above the wire is an extension of the servo arm? Looks like no movement of the wire through the metal parts on the arm

edit
Wait no, the wire moves through opposite to the first post? just looked at the link
M
Nov 18, 2008, 10:23 PM
VegasRay
Thread OP
This is my first EZ connector system which I used on a small electric sailplane about 5 years ago. The rod slides through the two connectors and the 90 degree bend attaches to the spoiler arm. A bit difficult to install but worked nicely.
Nov 18, 2008, 10:56 PM
planepainter

weight notice is negligible in a model the size of the Riser. NO weight penatly for your model. very easy to setup and very little maintenance. Always anothr way to make somethng work. To simple in design.......
Lyle
Nov 19, 2008, 05:53 AM
Excellent information, thanks for sharing!
..a
Nov 19, 2008, 10:48 AM
agony sweetns the victory
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRay
This is my first EZ connector system which I used on a small electric sailplane about 5 years ago. The rod slides through the two connectors and the 90 degree bend attaches to the spoiler arm. A bit difficult to install but worked nicely.
Yep, that's a very similar type of setup that I used on my thin wing small servo section spoiler. The only difference being a tube mounted to the spoiler instead of a control horn.

QUESTION: How do you determine the distance between the end of the outer servo arm bushing and the control horn mounted to the spoiler? Do you just wing it?

I'm thinking there must be a way to determine the optimal distance to get the most amount of spoiler surface travel for the least amount of servo arm movement and that that would be tied to that distance?
Nov 19, 2008, 05:24 PM
Make Flying Fun
Here is another, uniquely simple and quite functional!
Last edited by KevinSharbonda; Sep 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Nov 19, 2008, 05:47 PM
VegasRay
Thread OP

Atjurhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs
Yep, that's a very similar type of setup that I used on my thin wing small servo section spoiler. The only difference being a tube mounted to the spoiler instead of a control horn.

QUESTION: How do you determine the distance between the end of the outer servo arm bushing and the control horn mounted to the spoiler? Do you just wing it?

I'm thinking there must be a way to determine the optimal distance to get the most amount of spoiler surface travel for the least amount of servo arm movement and that that would be tied to that distance?
ATJURHS:
The distance between the spoiler EZ connector and the servo arm/connector should be close without touching. This gives the greatest torque for holding the spoiler closed. As we are only talking fractions here, any near distance is fine.

The least amount of servo travel for the greatest spoiler travel is a function of the distance between the spoiler hinge line and the servo pivot point. However just placing the servo near the hinge line is very adequate for total spoiler travel. I never open the spoilers to 90 degrees, prefering something in the range not exceeding 30 degrees. My Topaz is now at 22 degrees and may be reduced when finally tuned. My DANNY RES with the mono-spoiler was at 15 degrees. The measured spoiler openings were: Topaz 1.0 inch, DANNY 5/8 inch.

The secret of this linkage system is the addition of the third or spoiler mounted EZ connector and the one lock screw. This allows the wire slide rod to be straight. The earlier versions required a 90 degree bend in the wire at the spoiler end which made the overall installation difficult.

When I decided to use this system on my new Topaz-S I finally realized that 3 connectors was the secret. How/why I missed this during the development process, dating back to my first version with the little electric sailplane, and other RES planes, I don't know. But the light bulb finally came on and as they say "The rest is history".

The three EZ connector straight rod linkage is simple, works great, requires no adjustment and is EASY to install.

Ray
Nov 19, 2008, 11:16 PM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Ray -
Thanks for this thread, you're right on time. I've used the technique on my Miles build, it looks like it's going to work great! Pics over on thermal, Miles thread.

Quick Reply