Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 18, 2008, 11:06 AM
VegasRay
Discussion

E/z Spoiler Linkage

Two E/Z connectors on the servo arm keep the wire slide rod in perfect alignment while the third connector, attached to the spoiler moves the spoiler. Only one lock screw is needed. Locate the servo slightly behind the spoiler hinge line. There are no adjustments except on the Tx. This system has been developed on 60 inch electrice sailplanes and 3 meter mono-spoiler RES planes. Mini E/Z connectors with HS-55 servoes are shown on my dual spoiler RES Tpoaz-S.

Ray
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2008, 11:18 AM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
I trust you applied for a patent before making this public knowlege?
Nov 18, 2008, 11:36 AM
VegasRay
Rick - you me be better than that - this linkage is for anyone's use who wants super easy spoiler deployment. Your new build will be perfect for this.

Ray
Nov 18, 2008, 12:07 PM
Jim C Patrick
Very slick. Thank you VegasRay.

If I understand this right, it requires three (3) EZ connectors, but you can only have one setscrew. The setscrew can be at any of the three positions: spoiler horn, inner, or outer servo arm. Wow.

By sizing the wire correctly (or close enough) you have automatically built in a spring-closer with some tolerance for the servo splines not lining up perfectly. Double wow!
Nov 18, 2008, 12:11 PM
A classic slider-crank mechanism. Excellent application!
Nov 18, 2008, 12:18 PM
Great idea, and thx for sharing.

I've used long arms before to do this, but this is a great way to have a longer arm and make adjustments.

I love this kind of stuff.

dave
www.rc-builds.com
Nov 18, 2008, 01:14 PM
Here's another you might enjoy.

It's not for spoilers, but it is interesting.
Nov 18, 2008, 02:26 PM
the lift is always in the sun!
Very nice, Ray! I'll have to try this on my next spoiler setup...
BTW, your old Danny is still flying high!
Nov 18, 2008, 02:42 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
I am going to be starting my first build in about a decade, due to life getting in the way, momentarily, and this tip, plus all the others I have gotten hanging out here on RCG are perfect timing and so cool. This hobby and this website is the greatest (except for the weirdos that camp out on LTUP occasionally.) ((Now, if I can only remember this linkage or how to find the link when I get to this step in a couple months, life will be better, if not perfect.))

Thanks all.
Nov 18, 2008, 03:01 PM
planepainter
Ray, this looks like it would work great in the Riser 100 I am currently building. Does it add much weight to the wings and will it be ok for my Riser? Can these parts be bought at my local hobby store? I ask as I am still a bit new here. Thanks! Don.
Nov 18, 2008, 03:40 PM
I just wanna fly
This one is going to be used in my Ava build in the next couple of days.
Thanks for the idea!
Nov 18, 2008, 03:43 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
A lot better than the way I did it in my Topaz. Next time, I'll try it!
Nov 18, 2008, 04:02 PM
Are you serious?
Nice system, although have one question, it looks like the spoiler is very wide i the picture above, have you used this method with narrow spoilers?
The only reason I ask is that some wings have a rear spar which the length of the wire would hit.

Good Job!
Nov 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
agony sweetns the victory
On a narrow spoiler section, bend the rod at a 90deg angle and stuff it into a tube that is mounted onto the spoiler. Sort of like this one, but not exactly. I used a sliding setup on the servo arm with a bent rod on a thin wing small section spoiler a couple years ago. Works just fine. pat.pend.....
Nov 18, 2008, 04:55 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS

EZ system

Another plus too is with a 2 servo/spoiler wing you can program the spoilers coupled with the rudder and get a "little" added help in the landing zone. I saw a gent Do it a number of years ago with a string set up in a Gentle Lady. Neat. Brian
Last edited by BrianSmith; Nov 19, 2008 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply