Dec 21, 2008, 07:21 PM
Planecrazy in Lodi
Pat -

Oh yeah! Don't forget the dummy pilot! Unless he's gonna be "bending over to find a map" too!

Kermit
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2008, 05:52 PM
Brighto?

Mac the Bipe

America's favorite bootl... ah, er a, plan reseller, Uncle Willie has the plan.

http://www.myunclewillies.com/about13.html
Dec 22, 2008, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Kermit, This one will have a "Dummy Pilot". You'll see what I mean real soon!

PAT
Dec 22, 2008, 11:48 PM
Thread OP
Mike, Thanks for the post, great looking airplane. But just imagine, 2" shorter wingspan and needing a .35 size engine!!! But then, control line sport models have always been built a bit on the beefy side.

PAT
Dec 23, 2008, 09:04 AM
Thread OP

Working Up the Plastic Parts

Got started working up the plastic yesterday. By the day's end it was about ready for color, which I'll do today. Instead of puttying the seams on the wheel pants I used a 2.5 MM half round styrene strip, which will be "chromed" using aluminum duct tape after the colors go on.
Dec 23, 2008, 09:13 AM
Thread OP

Setting Up the Wings

The "N" Struts were sealed and painted, and while the paint was drying the washout jug was put together and the model set up on it. The centerline top wing jig was pinned to the fuselage and the tyop wing slipped in place to check the alignment. So far, so good.
Dec 23, 2008, 09:17 AM
Thread OP

Gluing It All Together

With everything aligning properly, the top wing was removed and a small dab of 5 minute epoxy applied to each of the cabane struts. The wing was placed back on the struts and the "N" Struts plugged in and aligned till the epoxy cured.

The parrellel sticks were rubber banded to the top wing next, the wings aligned and the N struts glued in place with a drop of thin Cya.

Next up, adding the rigging. Then it's time to finish her up.

PAT
Dec 23, 2008, 09:50 AM
Another awesome plane Pat. Looking at these planes makes me not want to build cause I have no talent what so ever in this area. My plane would turn into a round mass of balsa and CA not a plane. Oh with a the covering wrapping the ball.
Dec 23, 2008, 10:19 AM
Matt Haugh

Alignment?

I'm going to risk a very ignorant question here as I'm both intrigued by the wing jig, and I also have one of Pat's cubs headed my way this week. In this instance, when you say "...the wings aligned..." are you shrinking or relaxing the covering to fine tune? If so, how do you prevent future twisting in the sun or cold? I've seen so many wings at the field (on ARFs and otherwise) turn into elephants a#$es in the sun (and twist accordingly) that I've become deeply skeptical of shrink film, but you all have WAY more experience than me, so I'm willing to be shown a better way. As it stands, I'm leaning toward Rit dyed Silkspan with WBPU dope for my cub and all future planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
With everything aligning properly, the top wing was removed and a small dab of 5 minute epoxy applied to each of the cabane struts. The wing was placed back on the struts and the "N" Struts plugged in and aligned till the epoxy cured.

The parrellel sticks were rubber banded to the top wing next, the wings aligned and the N struts glued in place with a drop of thin Cya.

Next up, adding the rigging. Then it's time to finish her up.

PAT
Dec 23, 2008, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Hoff, When I cover the wings I'll twist in roughly the right amount of washout. Then once it's on the jig and set up will run the iron over it again to kind of "neutralize" the loads. Once it's set up properly there's very little problem with the models twisting themselves out of shape.

Microlite seams to be a reasonably stable material, not like the Ultracoat and Monocoat used on the ARF's. It not only shrinks less, but with less power in varying weather and temperature conditions. I'm not a huge fan of films either, but this stuff is far better then any I've used, and actually like working with it.

PAT
Dec 23, 2008, 11:02 AM
Neophyte hacker
I have found that shrinking more than once helps stabilize the film. Especially Solarfilm. It seems to take at least 4 sessions with the heat gun/iron before it is stable.

That's one reason why I like the wing jigs. You can set them up and go over them a few times to 'fix' the wing alignment.

As an alternative to Pat's jig you can get some foam board and make up one time jigs.

charlie
Dec 23, 2008, 01:27 PM
Garry Owen!
I wish Pat's wing jig was available as a lasercut kit! Hint, hint!
Dec 23, 2008, 02:17 PM
Neophyte hacker
Sorry, it never will be from us. We can't cut 1/4" ply (the preferred wood) and 1/4" liteply cost ended up being over $75 because it cut so slow.

If you have a handsaw and drill it will take less time to make them yourself than it takes for our laser to cut them. If you find someone with a 200W laser then ask them to cut them.

I just make special ones for each plane I build. For some reason every plane I pick has different stuff in the way of using a 'do all' jig set.

charlie
Dec 23, 2008, 10:00 PM
Thread OP

Getting the Landing Gear and Cowl Painted and Assembled

Got the color and clear coats shot on the plastic parts this morning. Still need to add the exhaust stacks and work on the prop some, but otherwise this part is about done.
Dec 23, 2008, 10:03 PM
Thread OP

Meanwhile, While the Paint was Drying.....

I took the time to get the wing rigging in place and work on a few of the minor details. Meanwhile, the "NC" numbers are ordered, and will get them in place as soon as they arrive.

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be lousy, so plan to stay in and finish her up. Then we can set back and wait out the weather for the test flights.

PAT

Quick Reply