Dec 16, 2008, 09:44 PM
Thread OP

Moving Up to the Top Wing

The top wing is a little trickier since it has the ailerons. The basic structure was punched out and put in a pile to be sure all the parts were there first.

The basic wing panels were assembled and the tip bows fitted and glued in place.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2008, 09:47 PM
Thread OP

Finishing the Top Wing

With both panels built, the ailerons were assembled in place. Then the panels were removed from the board, the center section built and the panels joined.

Now that both wings were framed they were sanded to shape, the ailerons removed from the basic structure and hinged.
Dec 16, 2008, 10:05 PM
Glad to see bipe moving forward Was starting to think that this one got put on the back burner.

Do you know what the power system will be? Would like to get a head start on gathering all the proper components.

Still loving the J-Kota Bipe just can't fly it enough, wind has been atrocious

Trey
Dec 16, 2008, 10:35 PM
Thread OP

Building the Wire Cabane Struts

The cabane strut parts were bent to shape, then soldered together. For the whole story on how the struts are soldered together, visit the Building Tips page on my web ste here; http://patscustom-models.com/building_tips.htm
Dec 16, 2008, 10:38 PM
Thread OP

The First Dry Run

Now that all the major components are framed and rough shaped it's time to put it all together and see how it looks.

Next up is to get the radio and drive system run in, then we'll need to start thinking about a color scheme.

PAT
Dec 16, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercubman
Glad to see bipe moving forward Was starting to think that this one got put on the back burner.

Do you know what the power system will be? Would like to get a head start on gathering all the proper components.

Still loving the J-Kota Bipe just can't fly it enough, wind has been atrocious

Trey
Trey, Not exactly "Back Burnered", just got into the 310 project and wanted to get it finished and flown before winter got too well entrenched.

I have a Supro 2212/13 set aside for the Inspirer. On two cells should give some good scale performance and good duration too.

PAT
Dec 17, 2008, 08:16 AM
Definately on the short list Pat!!! This one looks great and I am looking forward to having a crack at once I clear the bench of several other Partially finished projects!!!

Jeff
Dec 17, 2008, 12:39 PM
Brighto?
Pat, check out the November 1963 issue of American Modeler. There's a design called "Mac the Bipe" for control line which is a dead ringer for Bill Northrop's Spruce Goose and T'winger designs. Bill never mentioned it in his build articles but I'll bet that Mac the Bipe was his inspiration for the two.
Dec 17, 2008, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
Mike, Unfortunately the latest addition I have handy is 1960. Will keep an eye out for the one you mentioned. Or, if you have a copy, scan the photo and post it up here.

PAT
Dec 18, 2008, 11:12 PM
Thread OP

Getting the Servos Mounted and the Controls Systems Run In

Got the servos mounted in the Fuselage and wings this afternoon. The rudder cables are run in and the exit points set up. Also ran in the elevator pushrod tube, so with the exception of setting up the motor mount the fuselage is done. Then once the N Struts are assembled the basic framing chores will be finished.

At this point the wings and tail section are done too, so once the motor is mounted we're ready for cover.

Seems likethis one is really going together quickly, but after a project like the 310 I guess that's to be expected.

PAT
Dec 21, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thread OP

Mounting the Motor and Setting Up the Cowl

Got the motor mounted and the cowl fitted and screwed in place. Using TreeDiver's basic idea I drilled a hole in the cowl the size of the shaft rather then opening it up and making an insert. Small servo screws are used to hold the cowl in place.
Dec 21, 2008, 06:34 PM
Thread OP

Fitting the Windshield

Happened across an early TM windshield (before the frame was added and cut it to fit the fuselage. Will have to include one in the short kit onece it's all done.
Dec 21, 2008, 06:37 PM
Thread OP

Getting the Struts and Top Wing Aligned

Using the pre-assembled "N" Struts and the centerline jig, setting up the top wing took about 40 seconds. Rarely does a biplane cooperate quite that good -- but it sure is nice when it does.
Dec 21, 2008, 06:40 PM
Thread OP

And Now She's Covered and Ready for Final Assembly

The cover went on without a hitch. The trim was added using vinyl, and will get the wing numbers ordered tomorrow. Meanwhile, the bottom wing and tail section are in place, and the top wing fitted -- just to see how it looks.

Plan to finish her up this week, and maybe get a test flight toward the end of the week.

PAT
Dec 21, 2008, 07:17 PM
Planecrazy in Lodi
Pat -

Oh no!! Yellow and black!! "MY" color scheme! (Pat will know what I mean!).

Very nice! You just GOTTA put wheel pants on it - black with some sort of yellow "arrow" on them.

I can't wait to see the flying photos of this one! Hopefully some video too!

Kermit

Quick Reply