Apr 16, 2011, 07:14 PM
Suspended Account
robin egg blue with white would look real sweet on this as well....with some chrome mono trim!!!! kick butt scheme!!!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2011, 07:16 PM
Suspended Account
meanwhile.....im rained out of flying...so im working as i see fit on my 180.....heck didnt even plan to start the plane till fall. fuselage is about done!!!
Apr 17, 2011, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1978
meanwhile.....im rained out of flying...so im working as i see fit on my 180.....heck didnt even plan to start the plane till fall. fuselage is about done!!!
High winds in MA means more time with my models, I guess. There's a Mountain Models EVA bipe in progress as well. No comparison at all between the kits, it just falls together like reverse entropy. EVA will be finished first, I imagine. EVA will be more of a knockabout plane.
Apr 23, 2011, 10:59 PM
Inspirer has not been forgotten but EVA got most of my attention this week. I decided against pull-pull rudder and installed two pushrod sleeves and fuselage servo mounts. Front landing gear has been soldered up. I covered one aileron and the rudder just to see how it would go... no problems so far. I'll have the rest of the empennage covered tomorrow.

I have vinyl samples on order, from Callie from a local outfit. These will determine how I go about covering the wings. If the vinyl works out, it will make possible some very interesting color schemes. If not, I'll proceed with the tried and true (and very laborious) methods that I've used in the past.
Apr 23, 2011, 11:02 PM
Suspended Account
what methods are those?
Apr 24, 2011, 07:23 AM
Quote:
what methods are those?
In short, "stitching" together a covering of two or more colors to form one sheet. Panels of the appropriate size and color are laid down over a glass sheet, with soapy water or Windex sprayed onto the glass first. Adjacent sheets overlap by about 1/4" or so and are joined by heat from a covering iron, applied with repeated passes. of the iron.

It works well, but it's quite tedious. Aside from the cutting and measuring and subsequent cleanup, it takes me at least 10 minutes to do the heat-joining for a single 20" long seam. The other problem with this method (so far) is that the seams between colors are limited to straight edges, as I despair of making precision cuts of complex curves in covering film... and then joining them.
May 03, 2011, 07:42 AM
The Inspirer has not been forgotten. Fuselage is complete and covered. It has pushrod supports, servo tray, battery tray, and reinforced landing gear supports. Plus a "glueless" attachment system for the lower wing.

Tailfeathers are covered and hinged. The two ailerons are covered. As far as covering goes, all that's left are the two wings. I'm taking the lazy route -- cover the whole darn thing in one color (dark blue) and add contrasting decorations on top of that.

The vinyl sample from Callie looks like a "go." I need to fire up Photoshop or Illustrator and come up with a design, but my skills in that area never amounted to much. Aside from the decorations, the plane could be ready to fly in a week or two.
May 04, 2011, 06:51 PM
Lower (smaller) wing is covered. The wing tips were a bear to cover. Second tip went better than the first... maybe it'll get easier on the top wing, I dunno.

Due to the EVA bipe, some experimentation and some bogus cuts, I'm gonna need another roll of dark blue to finish up. No problem, there are other tasks to attend to. Servo and motor installation. Some quality time with Adobe Illustrator.
May 08, 2011, 10:01 PM
The Perspirer is all covered. Of course, I had to try a dry fit of the parts. I had done a test run before covering. Turns out I had one of a time getting it together. After a mighty struggle, I finally concluded that my soldering of the central wire cabanes was mis-formed and beyond tweaking.

Cursing my stupidity and shoddy work, I soldered up another set, giving it my all to make it accurate. When it was done... still no good! That's when I realized that I had mis-located one of the four holes that the wires plug into. Aaargh.

There was a fair amount of incidental damage in this struggle, but never mind, it's easily patched.

The InterPlane Struts in my kit were cut from ridiculously, laughably soft balsa. Let this be my first serious complaint with the kit. Most of the balsa has been soft and generally that's not a bad thing, but c'mon, these struts need some rigidity. Heck, it you've take the trouble to laser cut these fellas, why not cut them from 3/32" plywood?

Whatever, I cut up a new set from harder balsa. In progress.

Covering those round wingtips was a bit of a bear. More specifically, the "bearish" part involved the tapering of the leading/trailing edge into the bows at the wingtips. This is a matter that Pat's plans don't address.

Whatever. This plane isn't headed for a museum. With luck, a maiden flight in a week or two, hopefully straightforward stuff from here on out.
May 11, 2011, 10:23 PM
As I mentioned earlier, I'm building a Mountain Models EVA bipe in parallel with the Inspirer. There were several goals here. For one, I was expecting to finish and fly the EVA before the Inspirer was done. The EVA is a smaller, less challenging kit. Plus, I want some experience flying a bipe before the Inspirer maiden flight.

The other goal was to use EVA to try out some new covering techniques. New for me, at any rate. Toward this end, I worked up a PDF file forCallie-Graphics for the EVA. The cut and printed vinyl arrived like lightning and I managed to apply it on the EVA without too much trouble. It looks pretty good, if I say so myself.

Based on that experience, I worked up something nice for the Inspirer, and sent that file to Callie yesterday. So I'm hoping the Inspirer decorations might be done (ie. applied) by this time next week. And that's the major gating item for the final assembly. It looks like another few days for EVA, and a week beyond that for the Inspirer maiden.
May 16, 2011, 06:51 PM

Callie Comes Through

File sent last Thursday, vinyl arrived today (Monday.) Wow. I couldn't resist doing the lower wing (photo below.) That's just two of twelve pieces to apply. Then it's button-up time.
May 16, 2011, 07:15 PM
Suspended Account
nice!!!! i make my own vinyl designs and graphics on auto cad. print them off on vinyl decal sheets....coat of laquer...good for even fuel proof.
May 16, 2011, 08:05 PM
Quote:
nice!!!! i make my own vinyl designs and graphics on auto cad. print them off on vinyl decal sheets....coat of laquer...good for even fuel proof.
What film do you use? Thickness? Does it come in 11x17" sheets? I worried about the film being thin & light and being able to follow the contours of the original covering. The stuff from Callie does well in these regards. Callie's services aren't breaking the bank -- surprisingly inexpensive. Two jobs nicely done so far. And Callie does the cutting, too.
May 16, 2011, 08:28 PM
Suspended Account
its from papillo.....3 mil....takes a printer that will handle that thickness.....i bought a new canon mx320....does everything and more i want to do. paper size is standard 8.5x11. but i block them together if i want anything larger.
May 23, 2011, 09:13 PM
The EVA bipe maidened (successfully) last weekend, so Inspirer has my full attention. All of Callie's decorations have been applied. Ailerons and their servo linkages have been installed. Rudder and elevator linkages are ready to go. Tailwheel wire is formed and epoxied to rudder. I cut a thrust bearing out of 1/16" plywood for the tailwheel wire. Before the evening's work is done I will have the tailfeathers and that thrust bearing installed.

So tomorrow... another dry run or two on the final wing assembly, and then (gulp!) make it final. After that, install motor, cowl, ESC, prop, wheels and wing rigging. Work out battery placement for CG. And fly.

Quick Reply