Apr 06, 2011, 08:35 AM
Update 6 April: second fuse side built. Bow-making required several practice runs, but I now have one good usable bow in each of the two required sizes. Glad I saved the scrap balsa from all those old kits. Tonight: sand and join fuselage sides.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2011, 09:39 AM
I hope nobody minds; I'm gonna (re)use this thread as a build log. Might even post a photo or two. As of the end of the third evening, fuse is all framed up except for the top-deck stringers. This being my first such build, I'm very pleased with how it ended up. It looks square and true and well-shaped and is surprisingly strong. The balsa stock used for most of the fuse framing was hard and dense stuff, but I think ideal for the task at hand. A few of those half-round slotted top-deck stringer supports needed slight tweaking (a smidge too wide or too narrow.) I count 63 or 64 balsa parts in the fuse assembly so far, of which only 11 are laser-cut. That's without the stringers or servo tray additions.

Tonight I'll do the fuselage top-deck stringers and maybe start in on the tail group. And maybe make another pair of wing-tip bows.

I need to find myself a better building board -- the one I've been using is all chewed up and maybe not so flat.
Apr 07, 2011, 08:55 PM
Fuselage is framed up. Hopefully the last set of bows are set and "baking" on the radiator. The assembly in the photos weighs 0.8 oz.
Last edited by rafe_b; Apr 07, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Apr 10, 2011, 09:02 PM
It was an awesome weekend for flying, so 'building' got put on the back burner. On to the wings now.
Apr 11, 2011, 09:31 PM

Got a Question

Bottom wing is assembled and glue is drying. I used thick CA in a few places and I like to give that stuff as long as it needs to cure.

The leading edge required a lot of sanding. Plan calls for LE to be cut from 3/16 x 3/8" material; IMO that 3/8" dimension -- which mates against the front surface of the ribs -- is more like 5/16" or even 9/32". So, lots of sanding. And with my luck, it was really dense balsa. More sanding once the glue sets. Wing tip bows fit nicely, though it wasn't exactly clear what the tapering of the LE was supposed to look like, viewed from head-on. I did what seemed logical...

I have one question for you Tritle build experts, and that involves fastening the lower wing to its saddle. Instructions call for gluing but I don't see how that's going to work; the ribs in question will need to be covered, particularly at the places where they need to mate with the saddle.

I can envision something with a tab or pins on the wing LE and one or two small screws on the TE. But I don't see where simple gluing is possible.
Apr 12, 2011, 07:36 AM
Thread OP
I have one question for you Tritle build experts, and that involves fastening the lower wing to its saddle. Instructions call for gluing but I don't see how that's going to work; the ribs in question will need to be covered, particularly at the places where they need to mate with the saddle.

I can envision something with a tab or pins on the wing LE and one or two small screws on the TE. But I don't see where simple gluing is possible.

On my p-types that have fixed wings, I align the wing in the saddle, then glue it at the leading and trailing edges with Cya. Once it sets up, I then run a bead of Canopy 560 or Liquid Stich over the top along the edges of the fuselage. Since these models are relatively light, and are not designed for high G aerobatics, the joint doesn't need to be bullet proof. So far I haven't had a failure yet.

PAT
Apr 12, 2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the quick response, Pat. I can't deny that I'm quite surprised at the answer.

The lightness is impressive. Total weight of fuse, tailfeathers and lower wing is a whopping 1.9 oz. I'm guessing top wing will add another ounce or so.

Do you have any comment with regard to the the lower wing leading-edge cross-section? Would you expect the LE to be flush with the ribs at the top and bottom? Right now the LE is still about .050 inch proud of the ribs at the top surface. And that's after a LOT of sanding of the LE. So far, my sanding block is in no danger of touching any of the ribs.
Apr 12, 2011, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Do you have any comment with regard to the the lower wing leading-edge cross-section? Would you expect the LE to be flush with the ribs at the top and bottom? Right now the LE is still about .050 inch proud of the ribs at the top surface. And that's after a LOT of sanding of the LE. So far, my sanding block is in no danger of touching any of the ribs.

The problem with the LE stick size is that there are no 3/16 X 5/16 or 3/16 X 9/32 sticks available on the open market, so the closest thing available is 3/16 X3/8. However, you can rip them yourself from 3/16 sheet with either a band saw, or with a hobby knife and a straight edge.

And because carving a LE is tedious at best, and a pain in the back side at worst, I always select softer wood so it's easier to carve and shape. All I can say is take your time. This is one place where the results are worth the extra effort.

PAT
Apr 12, 2011, 08:44 AM
Ah, OK, that explains it. I'll keep sanding, then. I did in fact rip both LEs from stock on hand, so it might have been useful to know the true/desired dimension from the outset.

Gotta say it's been an interesting build so far. I'm still quite undecided about a coloring scheme for this plane. I thought I'd have lots of time to consider, but the build has progressed more quickly than I expected.
Apr 14, 2011, 08:47 AM
Top wing will be finished tonight or tomorrow, and that's it for the rough framing. There are a few minor bits left, eg. servo/motor mounts, supports for the "interplane struts" and so on.

Now the hard work begins -- soldering, servo and linkage setup, covering, hinging, etc. Still undecided on colors. More to the point, undecided about how much effort to invest in the covering.

I'm not used to having servos buried in the wings. And it only just just occurred to me that with the servos in the top wing, the servo extensions must somehow get down to the fuselage.

I hope this question doesn't come off as rude... but has anyone hacked the wing(s) mounting system to make it... oh, I don't know, a bit less permanent, or maybe a bit more robust?
Apr 15, 2011, 07:24 AM
Framing is complete, save for a a few minor bits. Now to solder up cabane struts and landing gear... and decide on a covering scheme. I'm guessing about 20-30 hours of work so far.

Most amazingly, the entire airframe weighs 2.8 oz "in the bones."
Apr 15, 2011, 08:44 PM

A proper "bones" shot

The central cabanes will need to be re-soldered, but for now they're good enough for the first all-up "bones" view.

I'm curious about the relative dihedrals of top and bottom wings. Bottom wing definitely has more dihedral than the top. I hope that's right.
Apr 16, 2011, 04:41 PM
Suspended Account
this is one awesome airplane!!!!! too bad i didnt see it before i bought my 180.....i was looking for a small slow biplane. your doin a fantastic job of building it....keep up the pictures!!!
Apr 16, 2011, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
man what a sweet airplane pat!!!! heck i want this photo for my backround!!!! beats the heck out of any of the best arfs on the market!!!!
Apr 16, 2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the kudos, Ed. I've got the cabanes properly soldered and tweaked now. A coloring scheme has been chosen, and two rolls of Parklite dark blue covering (HANU-0807) on hand. Contrasting color stripes will be Parklite bright yellow (HANU-0802.)

Hopefully I've got a couple of servos on hand for the wings, otherwise the wing covering needs to wait for my latest HC order to arrive.

Quick Reply