Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Nov 18, 2008, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Build Log

Inspirer Biplane -- Fantasy Scale Homebuilt

In High School I did a 22" free flight biplane for a drafting class project that turned out to be one of the most consistent free flight models I've ever had. The design is not a copy of, but was based on Bill Northrop's Spuce Goose that was featured in Model Builder magazine in the 60's. Several Inspirer's have been built, and all of them did really well, and have thought for years that it would make a terrific R/C model.

So, once again the 1:8 scale L-4 cowl comes into play. In 1:8 scale, the span worked out to 42" which is 28 feet @ 1:1 -- a good size for a sporty little 100 HP Biplane.

The plans were redrawn and restructured to accomodate E-power and 4 ch. R/C. I's going to be real interesting to see if the big one flies as good as the little one did.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2008, 09:57 AM

Getting Started

The rudder and elevator are basic stick frames -- and no bowing is required so the assemblies go together quickly.

PAT
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by myplanesfearme
don't feed the zombies!
That's a pretty little plane- looking forward to seeing this one come together. I've always had a soft spot for the homebuiltish biplane.

Ryan
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:48 PM
Ryan, I like this style too. They're "modern" enough to fly well, but "old timey" enough to look cool. It also has a bit of a resemblace to the EAA Biplane as well.

PAT
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by supercubman
If this one turns out and you kit it put me down for one!!

Trey
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:24 PM
Trey, You got it.

PAT
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
There was an American Modeler issue in th elate 50's/early 60's that had a Cal Smith painting of several homebuilt biplanes flying together. This plane definitely has that flavor. I could be wrong, but I believe it may have been the Smith Miniplane that had that wing shape.

Pete G.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:19 PM
Pete, The design is also reminisant of the Smitth Miniplane as well as the EAA Bipe. Will be interesting to see what the airplane actually looks like once its done.

PAT
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
There were quite a few in those days that looked similar. The EAA and Smith as well as the Stolp Starduster and I think Great lakes (it might have been bigger). Quite a few people did home built bipes back then using the Lycoming and Continental 100 to 200 hp engines.

charlie
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Yes, I had forgotten about the Starduster -- the wings are more similar than the Smith Miniplane. Pat's plane would really fit in with these planes, and there are a lot of cool color schemes out there io the internet.

Pete G.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by bosley
Had I known that you would be doing this one this soon I may have forgone your little one as a conversion!! Oh well, another one to add to the list and it will make a nice looking biplane with quite a presence at that size!!! Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Jeff
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:53 PM

Getting Started on the Fuselage

Got the basic fuselage frame worked up today. Will be getting the stringers on and the landing gear built up next.

PAT
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by D-Rock
Looking good Pat, will be following this one along.

D-Rock
Old Dec 16, 2008, 09:39 PM

Getting Back On It

Now that the 310 is done it's time to get serious on this one again.

Figured the best place to get back started was to finish up the basic fuselage frame. Will get the servos and motor mount set up once the major framing is done.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 09:41 PM

Moving On To the Wings

Got stasrted on the bottom wing first since its a very basic structure. The tip bows for both top and bottom wings were made up first so they'd be handy when the time came, then the wing was built.