Nov 17, 2008, 04:18 PM
Discussion

DW FOAMIES JUKA 48" BUILD.....

after searching everywere to find information for a dw foamies juka 48" build thread......i figured i would start my own. i ran across this model in the video section, and it looks like a awesome 3-D kit. its getting cold in michigan, and it seems like a nice project for me.....just so you fellas know im a very slow builder, as i like to take my time......so bear with me. also i want input from anyone that has any ideas that can add to the thread, any tip's are welcomed. i know that ther are allways better ways to do things, so feel free to share.......well here goes.......

the kit out of the box.....the depron is very clean, and exact looking cnc machining....by the way i have run cnc equipment for over 25yrs. lols, yea im a old fart....agian the kit looks absolutely awesome.....more to come..randy.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2008, 04:29 PM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
The build will go by fast. I can build the 38" kits in under an hour, but I've built more then 15 of them

What are you going to power this 3D monster with?
Latest blog entry: Weekender Warehouse
Nov 17, 2008, 04:43 PM

bevels first....

i have decited to do double bevels on all control surfaces, with robard hinges. i have a dremel with a little router table i use. the cutter is a stone dressed on 45 deg. of a angle. on the ends were the tool wont reach, i use a sanding plane to finish off.....some photos.....

the bevel tool.....

bouble beveled all control surfaces...

my sanding tools....

ailerons ready to hinge.....

next i will be installing the robart hinges....
Nov 17, 2008, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
The build will go by fast. I can build the 38" kits in under an hour, but I've built more then 15 of them

What are you going to power this 3D monster with?
xpress, i decited to go with the hacker A30-16M, the one seen in the juka video from ther site...
juka 48" video
Nov 17, 2008, 05:17 PM
Like a boss!
Good timing! I've got one coming in the mail this week (I hope). First foamie so I'll be following your thread with interest.
Nov 17, 2008, 05:59 PM
Foam on the range
Me too, although I don't have one coming in the mail, this one is the next on my list. I still have the 55" BAF YAK and want something just a wee bit easier to transport.
Nov 17, 2008, 06:00 PM

robart hinges....the elevator

now i am starting to install the robart hinges....man they are soooo smooth..... i recomend getting the drill jig, its cheap and works lovely.....i set the depth of my drill about 1/16 deeper than half of the hinge. also, i drill these by hand, no power tools!!, lols. for the elevator i decited to use 4 hinges.....the two outside hinges measure 12in. centered to the horizonal stab. then the other two are even spaced @4in. i used sumo glue to install...NOTE, THIS STUFF ONLY TAKES A VERY SMALL AMOUNT. so be carefull if you use the glue. i might go with epoxy foe the rest of the build, as i allmost glued the hinges shut.....next time i will use more petroleum jelly on the hinge, and less glue. oh yea i wipe the hinges off with a paper towel and alcohol first, then apply the jelly to center of the hinge. here some photos of the elevator......

robart hinges and drill jig used....

glue used....use very little, test a scrap part first.....or use epoxy.

elevator drying....weight as the glue expands wile curing....set weight on scrap foam, as to not mark the parts....

finished horz stab ready for some blenderm tape...

deflection is well past 45deg.

down......

more to come........
Nov 17, 2008, 06:07 PM
R/C Crash Test Pilot
Randy Dremel makes a 45 degree chamfer bit that cuts sweet double bevels.

-Will
Nov 17, 2008, 06:29 PM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Soo, you used robart hinges, and blenderm? I have a 33oz. Juka which is nearly overpowered (seriously, vertical is not a problem with it), and only have blenderm on one side of the hinge. Still holding very well.

Also, all I fly is DW Foamies. I know a lot about them
Latest blog entry: Weekender Warehouse
Nov 17, 2008, 06:42 PM
R/C Crash Test Pilot
Randy, Mike at DW makes some servo mounting plates that he sells for $4.00 a set, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=dw+foamie They work great, I surface mounted mine and went through the wing w/ the servo. The pic quality sucks but you get the idea.

-Will
Nov 17, 2008, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanocer
Randy, Mike at DW makes some servo mounting plates that he sells for $4.00 a set, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=dw+foamie They work great, I surface mounted mine and went through the wing w/ the servo. The pic quality sucks but you get the idea.

-Will
will thanks......dw foamies sent mine with the kit ......
Last edited by rjarois; Nov 18, 2008 at 02:37 PM.
Nov 17, 2008, 07:10 PM

wing spars.....

on the wings i will install the wing spars before i install the hinges.....only one wing at a time, my granite plate is to small. what i did in order....

spars look to nice to scuff with sand paper.....

my granite plate, is flat to .0002 of a inch.

cut out spar filler and lay in sandpaper scuffed spar...

hold end together and tape to hold tight....

flip over and weight down....wipe with alcohol and lay a nice strip of blenderm tape....i used credit card to smooth out....

flip back over and remove the masking tape ya held together with.....weight flat agian and glue in spar....i used gap filling foam safe for this, a bead on each side.....no kicker foe me, i will give it a couple days, and do the other wing half......

glue drying.....
Nov 17, 2008, 07:28 PM
R/C Crash Test Pilot
I did my first spar the same way, except I used the kicker. I painted the spar white on the one I'm building now. It blends in better and doesn't interfere w/ vinyl or paint schemes.

-Will
Nov 17, 2008, 07:33 PM
Like a boss!
Man, this thread is making me hungry!
Nov 17, 2008, 07:34 PM
good tip!!!!! nanocer......i figured painting over the tape would be good....but i shall dust some white over it before i tape over and paint. thanks, randy.