***Sea BB 42", 34" & 26" Plans, Build Guide, Pictures, and Videos*** - Page 5 - RC Groups
Dec 24, 2008, 10:21 AM
That is what I thought. I only have time late at night so the mind floats. thanks again for the info.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2008, 11:23 AM
Ken's CAD Models

Corrected Dihedral template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney
That is what I thought. I only have time late at night so the mind floats. thanks again for the info.
Looney and any others,

Please download the Dihedral template again. I had forgotten to compensate for the wing incidence on the model (which is 1 degree). When the LE and TE are on the table this makes the washout more pronounced.

Ken

Edit: Removed dead link. See following post
Last edited by dz1sfb; Dec 25, 2008 at 07:55 AM.
Dec 25, 2008, 07:53 AM
Ken's CAD Models

"Dihedral Template" Take 3!

I goofed again! Probably should not have been doing this on the fly like I was yesterday. Got the angle corrected, but let the hieight drop. You may have noticed it in the dimensions from table surface. This time it is fully correct with 1-5/8" hieght at the LE. Please download the Dihedral template again.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...mentid=2239919

Keep Christ in Christmas,
Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Jan 07, 2009, 05:12 PM
Ken's CAD Models

First reader built Sea BB42 takes to the sky with sucess

FYI,

I have seen the first other person built Sea BB42. While flying at an indoor facility this yesterday. A gentleman (Chuck Hickson) whom I had spoke with 2 and 3 weeks prior, showed me photographs of his Sea BB42. It looked great and he was very pleased with it gentle slow flying characteristics. He even trimmed it out like mine (imitation they say is the purest form of compliment) with the addition of his AMA number. I asked him to post those pics up here. Hopefully he will. I was just tickled, his came out right on the specified weight utilizing the same equipment.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Sep 14, 2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Corrected name of person I met.
Jan 16, 2009, 09:31 PM
Just a quick question for you guys....
What's everyone been getting for a weight on these guys (specifically 26 inch)
I've got one almost finished, and I want to know how it stacks up to everyone else's.
Thanks
-Mac
Jan 17, 2009, 08:47 AM
AKA Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Obsessed
Just a quick question for you guys....
What's everyone been getting for a weight on these guys (specifically 26 inch)
I've got one almost finished, and I want to know how it stacks up to everyone else's.
Thanks
-Mac
Mac, congratulations! I think yours is #2. At least no one else has posted about a Sea BB 26. It would be great to see some pictures and hear about and build modifications.

From post #31, Ken's original foam air frame was 2.6 oz. (74 g). Whats yours?
Jan 17, 2009, 08:56 AM
Hmm, I'm pretty sure mine is going to be a few grams on the heavy side. I don't have a scale I can weigh it on now, so I'm going to need to borrow a friend's later today.
As for modifications, from pretty much the beginning I decided to try going with a dual-motor setup, mostly because I just liked the lois more than the single motor on a pylon idea. Also, because I built mine out of a diiferemt thickness foam than the plans were designedfor, I got rid of the notches and just used straight edges, like I have on all my previous blubabies. I'll try to get some pics ip soon so you can see what I'm talking about.
Peace
-Mac
Jan 17, 2009, 09:57 AM
AKA Don
Oh Yeah, twin motor. Sounds great. I look forward to the pictures.

What motors and props are you planning to use? Did you build the UC wing reinforced with dowel on the leading and trailing edges?
Jan 17, 2009, 10:24 AM
And here are the pictures...
As for weight, I've got....(dramatic drumroll) something like 120-130 grams (without battery)
THats just a rough estimate, as the only scale I could get at this morning is and ounce/pound one, which isn't nearly as accurate as I'd like.
Jan 17, 2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for showin' some interest, bz1!
As for your questions, most of them are answered in the picture captions, except for the props... Right now I'm using 2 GWS 5030's (2 blade), but If I can find a set, I'd really like to try some of the GWS 5030 3 blades, counter rotating of course.
Being the lazy builder I am, I didn't go with the reinforcing dowel, So I'll probably regret that by the first or second time I fly it. At the weight I was at already, I didn't know If it was a good idea to add, and I've never had any severe problems with wing flex in normal flight anyways.

At this point, basically the only remaining obstacle between me and (maybe) flight is a Y-Harness for the ESCs.
Peace
-Mac
Jan 17, 2009, 11:20 AM
AKA Don
Quote:
Thanks for showin' some interest, bz1!
As for your questions, most of them are answered in the picture captions, except for the props... Right now I'm using 2 GWS 5030's (2 blade), but If I can find a set, I'd really like to try some of the GWS 5030 3 blades, counter rotating of course.
Being the lazy builder I am, I didn't go with the reinforcing dowel, So I'll probably regret that by the first or second time I fly it. At the weight I was at already, I didn't know If it was a good idea to add, and I've never had any severe problems with wing flex in normal flight anyways.

At this point, basically the only remaining obstacle between me and (maybe) flight is a Y-Harness for the ESCs.
Peace
-Mac
Beautiful job! I really like the motor nacelles. Your weight seems right on target to me. I have flown my BB24 with ski's and a 40g battery at 180 g AUW. And it could handle more. Your wing may be OK, it looks like 5 mm PB3. I will tell you a 3 mm Depron wing is too flimsy .

Here is a place to get three blade 5-3 props. You need to buy one regular and one "counter rotating" to get a counter rotating set. http://gwsprops.com/3_blade_props.htm so the pair costs $4
Jan 17, 2009, 02:46 PM
Nice guess on the wing thickness!
Actually, the whole thing is built of BluCore, my modeling material of choice (I'm a cheap person.)
Thanks for the comment on the motor nacelles, they're probably my favorite part. It took me about 3 days to finally come up with how to get them onto the wing and looking the way I wanted them.
Jan 17, 2009, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Nice guess on the wing thickness!
Actually, the whole thing is built of BluCore, my modeling material of choice (I'm a cheap person.)
Thanks for the comment on the motor nacelles, they're probably my favorite part. It took me about 3 days to finally come up with how to get them onto the wing and looking the way I wanted them.
What is the distance from the wing to the water level?
Jan 17, 2009, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSmithers10
What is the distance from the wing to the water level?
I measured it, and if I use the 5 inch props, I should get between 1.5- 1 inches of clearance form prop bottom to water level. Might be a close one!
Jan 17, 2009, 10:49 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Nice twin modification Mac!

Hi Mac,

Glad to see your build. I am pleased that you were able to modify the plans for no tabs. I was just telling Bz1 that the tabbed design limits your material choices, due to the tight interlocking design of the fuselage. I am happy that you had the initiative to overcome that problem.

As for the wing without dowels, I think you may be okay there. Given the added thickness of material. Just watch you don't pull too many G's.

I have wanted a twin engine version of this from the begining, and am anxious to here how yours flys. I would not use any downthrust since the thrust line is still very high relative to the center of drag.

Congratulations and Best Wishes on your maiden flight.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site