***Sea BB 42", 34" & 26" Plans, Build Guide, Pictures, and Videos*** - Page 4 - RC Groups
Nov 26, 2008, 11:26 PM
I never tried to bend celofoam, but I do have a baking jig I've used on blucor. Should bake OK.

What differences did you find between UC and KF?

Here's a pic of my modded foamfly pelican

Paul
Last edited by praymond; Nov 26, 2008 at 11:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2008, 09:30 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Paul,

Cellfoam seems to bend relatively easy. Though runnig it in a baking jig should really make the wing form stable.

These are a couple a main differences between the KFm and UC wings that I have observed.
  1. The Kfm wing will fly faster and has less drag over the UC wing. This means it will penetrate the wind easier. The down side of the KFm is that it produces less lift and requires higher airspeed to maintain flight. I like the very sedate nature of the UC wing on these light foamies. Much more relaxing flying.
  2. Due to the flat nature of the KFm wing, it will fly inverted more easily than the UC wing. This is where the nature of the model becomes a factor. A pattern style or 3D model needs more nuetral stability. The KFm airfoil provides that. A parkflyer/Trainer RET is generally designed to fly top side up. The UC wing is designed to produce the positive lift stability that is desireable for these types of models.
I like both types, and use them respectively. I have not found a universal wing that does all things well. So you will be most satisfied if you can determine what you would like to accomplish with various models.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Nov 27, 2008, 12:11 PM
Well thanks for the reply. I'l bend one and then make another a KF later.
Nov 30, 2008, 08:32 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Maidened Sea BB26 on Thanksgiving day

Just a quick flight report. Sorry no video yet.

Thanksgiving day at Mom's house. Wind was a little stiff out of the SW. Flew with 600 Mah 2s and 700 Mah 3s batteries.

Had to fight a tendancy to turn left. The RH wingtip was flat, no washout like the LH tip. I hate when I do those things. Anyways, got it corrected.

Performace with 2100Kv C20 motor and GWS 5x3 HD propeller, running on 2s was adequate. On 3s the performance was stellar. Easy vertical climbouts, loops and rudder rolls, though not really meant for that, it did them all very easily.

It is much like comparing the 33" Blu-Baby to the 24"er. Will try to get video soon.

The Sea BB34 plans are progressing. Finished the motor pylon today. There is alot to do when you change scale, but use the same material thicknesses.

Ken
Nov 30, 2008, 10:22 PM
treefinder
cool! Congrats! Water takeoffs?
Dec 01, 2008, 05:49 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
cool! Congrats! Water takeoffs?
Yeh, of sorts. The water was kind of hard that day. They were all off of H2O, just the frozen sort. LOL!

Seriously, plenty of power to do so though.

Ken
Dec 01, 2008, 07:49 AM
AKA Don
Ken,
congratulations on the Sea BB26! Another great flier I am sure.

How did you correct the wing problem? I had to adjust the saddle on my BB24 to keep it from warping the wing when I rubber banded it down. But, it seems once one of these UC wings is built it would be hard to make adjustments. Did you just build a new wing?

Did you use dowel on the leading and trailing edges? I am making a 26 inch wing for my BB24?. I tried last night to steam set some skewers to us on the edges. I am having trouble getting the desired shape and I fear they will warp the wing if used as is. Any suggestions?

Don
Dec 01, 2008, 08:10 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Ken,
congratulations on the Sea BB26! Another great flier I am sure.

How did you correct the wing problem? I had to adjust the saddle on my BB24 to keep it from warping the wing when I rubber banded it down. But, it seems once one of these UC wings is built it would be hard to make adjustments. Did you just build a new wing?

Did you use dowel on the leading and trailing edges? I am making a 26 inch wing for my BB24?. I tried last night to steam set some skewers to us on the edges. I am having trouble getting the desired shape and I fear they will warp the wing if used as is. Any suggestions?

Don
Don,

I did use dowel rod on the LE and TE. The tricky thing is on the TE for the Sea BB, since I bend it around and run up the tapered part of the TE. I had made that bend not symmetrical left to right. I just worked the dowel rod until both sides had the same washout. I felt that the wingtip floats warranted the added dowel rod length.

On the standard BB wing I only run the TE dowel up to the taper and do not encounter washout differentional.

Note; I had to bend the dowels for the Sea BB 26 under unusual circumstances (without steam). Wet mouth method. LOL!

Ken
Dec 01, 2008, 08:23 PM
treefinder
Oh, man, the things we do for our foamies!

Gotta have another gettogether to see her fly. Course right now we could see her fly off water pretty much anywhere - the soft fluffy type...
Dec 17, 2008, 09:12 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Well, I got out to fly at an indoor soccer arena yesterday. Flew both Sea BB's and recieved many questions and compliments on both. What really interested me though was to put the 26"er through some steady test flying since straightening the wing. She fly's much like the 42"er, with added sensitivity to the rudder. I suppose this is true for most small models, but feel that the rudder area could be reduced by moving the hinge line reward and reducing the air balance tab proportionally.

Ken
Dec 22, 2008, 10:37 PM

Wing Question

I just want to say beautiful plane. I am building two one for me and one for my brother. I have them all done except for the wing.

Now I suck at joining the two wing half's together. How to you do it (In noob language please, maybe a pick or two). I have read a lot of ideas I just can't get it right. In the great guide you made it says "Bevel wing root for dihedral." Please explain.

I made one of these https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=245311&pp=100 and the wing came out crappy. I think I am afraid of wings.

Thanks
Clint
Last edited by Looney; Dec 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM.
Dec 23, 2008, 12:08 AM
Ken's CAD Models

Beveling Wing Root

Clint,
First of all, welcome to the Sea BB thread!

Assuming you have the airfoil formed in the wing panels, lets procede.
In order to glue the wing panels together with an airfoil and the correct dihedral, we need to bevel the root end of the wing. This will allow a strong glue joint by not leaving any gaps. Please see the attached picture for more detailed instructions.

I hope this is helpful,

Ken
Dec 23, 2008, 11:38 PM
Starters thanks for the info and pic. Now for the next question.

Ok is the "Dihedral is 1-5/8 under
each tip" under the LE or TE or both?
Last edited by Looney; Dec 24, 2008 at 12:01 AM.
Dec 24, 2008, 12:31 AM
new pic, same plane....
looks cool....ill try one sometime.....
Dec 24, 2008, 06:48 AM
Ken's CAD Models

Tip Dihedral Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney
Starters thanks for the info and pic. Now for the next question.

Ok is the "Dihedral is 1-5/8 under
each tip" under the LE or TE or both?
Okay, I knew this would come up. The answer is: Leading Edge.

It is a very good question, and you probably already know why. I am going to give a clarification for others who may be wondering why.

The airfoil on this aircraft is a constant section. That is to say, you take the section of the airfoil at the root and extrude it to the tip. Then we trim the trailing edge on the outboard half with a taper. This effectively builds washout into the wing, and is part of what makes this bird such a gentle flyer.

What you can do, that I should add into the plans, is cut dihedral gauges out of foam that will align to the airfoil. at the tip. Template in post #1.

Ken

Edit: Removed dead link. See explanation in post #63
Last edited by dz1sfb; Dec 25, 2008 at 07:57 AM.