***Sea BB 42", 34" & 26" Plans, Build Guide, Pictures, and Videos*** - Page 103 - RC Groups
Oct 12, 2017, 09:14 PM
Ken's CAD Models
I could even 3D print one of those now, and for much cheaper too.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2017, 09:24 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Might have that video soon Yachtie... On dry land though. LOL

I hope Yachtie04 doesn't mind me posting this.

SeaBB (1 min 29 sec)
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Oct 14, 2017 at 12:43 AM.
Oct 14, 2017, 04:44 AM
Thanks for posting the video you took of my flight when I was there with you yesterday Grantham Kid.

You’ll see I had company – an inquisitive Kite.

I think the prop is a bit small for that motor as the plane seemed to lack power.
All up weight of plane with battery is 495 grams and the specified motor thrust is 450g and wattage 100 watt.
That should be ample power for this plane!
I needed almost 3/4 throttle to fly level and the motor was cold when I landed.

Apart from that was flying nicely, so looks Like I have the C/G correct
Oct 14, 2017, 06:50 AM
Registered User & Park Flyer

Looked nice and stable...

I bet the bird wondered why your plane didn't have to flap its wings! The bird gave up when the plane went higher without apparent effort. Great job!
Oct 14, 2017, 12:27 PM
Ich Fliege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
Might have that video soon Yachtie... On dry land though. LOL

I hope Yachtie04 doesn't mind me posting this.
Nice video. It seems the kite was having a great time too. I usually try to over power all my builds. My rule of thumb is a minimum of 100w per pound leaning more towards 125-150w per pound. Now this depends on the design and desired flight characteristics of course. I can always back off on the throttle if needed but you can't add power if you don't have it. Having the ability to go vertical has saved me from several really bad landing approaches.

Your SeaBB looks like it flies fairly well with the existing setup. A different prop may help if your Esc can handle it. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

I wasn't so lucky, the hawk I encountered put some pretty bad talon rips in my Bearcat just as she touched down. I guess it didn't like the yellow rudder!!

Mikey
Oct 14, 2017, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your comment JF2. Yes - nice and stable :-)

I agree with you Mikey about having plenty of power. Better over-power than under-power for sure.

100 watts for a 17 1/4 oz plane should be ample power to fly well.
That's getting close to 100 watts per pound.

It appears the prop I have been using isn't big enough to effectively use the amount of power the motor is capable of putting out

Will experiment with a bigger prop and use my watt meter to check amperage draw. Have a 20 amp ESC fitted.

It is frustrating when the specs for the motor don't include recommended prop size.

On another occasion flying at that site with one of my other planes Grantham Kid counted 49 kites flying with me, That was awesome!!
Last edited by Yachtie04; Oct 14, 2017 at 05:55 PM.
Oct 14, 2017, 08:31 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Sea BB 42 Cowl stl file

Nice video indeed!

I am going to post my stl file for the Sea BB cowl here. Those of you who 3D print can have at it.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Oct 14, 2017, 10:11 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebelmj
Nice video. It seems the kite was having a great time too. I usually try to over power all my builds. My rule of thumb is a minimum of 100w per pound leaning more towards 125-150w per pound. Now this depends on the design and desired flight characteristics of course. I can always back off on the throttle if needed but you can't add power if you don't have it. Having the ability to go vertical has saved me from several really bad landing approaches.

Your SeaBB looks like it flies fairly well with the existing setup. A different prop may help if your Esc can handle it. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

I wasn't so lucky, the hawk I encountered put some pretty bad talon rips in my Bearcat just as she touched down. I guess it didn't like the yellow rudder!!

Mikey
At our club we have a resident magpie that has souvenired a few airplane tailfeathers and caused the odd altercation with terra firma as well. While he is doing that the crows sneak in and pull the rubbers out of our windscreen wipers on our cars.
Oct 15, 2017, 10:05 PM
My Sea BB at take-off from hand launch