Thread Tools
Nov 17, 2008, 12:03 AM
Registered User
Discussion

Servo extensions vs soldering new leads in...


Working on a new airplane tonight, hooking up the aileron extensions and tieing them together with fishing line so they don't come apart and I get to wondering: why not just cut the extension and splice in some wire? It would save the worry about the extension coming apart, and make it easier to run through the wing since the connection would not catch on the ribs while threading it through.



Thoughts?

TIA,

Rook
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2008, 01:42 AM
Registered User
ebill3's Avatar
I never (well, almost never) use servo extensions. I do not use the extension wire, however, but purchase servo wire, and solder in an extension. Two reasons:

(1) Connectors fail.
(2) I'm cheap.

Bill
Nov 17, 2008, 02:28 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3
I never (well, almost never) use servo extensions. I do not use the extension wire, however, but purchase servo wire, and solder in an extension. Two reasons:

(1) Connectors fail.
(2) I'm cheap.

Bill

Kewl. Count me in for both.


Rook
-When in doubt it's better to ask.
Nov 17, 2008, 05:31 AM
most exalted one
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3
I never (well, almost never) use servo extensions. I do not use the extension wire, however, but purchase servo wire, and solder in an extension. Two reasons:

(1) Connectors fail.
(2) I'm cheap.

Bill
The man knows.
Nov 17, 2008, 09:15 AM
Registered User
pilotpete2's Avatar
Only place I use a servo extension is from the receiver to the aileron servo connectors. If I need to extend a servo cable 12" or less, I use a better quality replacement servo lead and cut off the original plug, this way I only have a single splice in the wire, fairly cheap, but less work than splicing in wire with double the splices. Now if they'd just sell servo leads longer than 12", I hate to pay for an extension, then cut off the female plug, OK, I'm cheeeep
Pete
Nov 17, 2008, 10:49 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Julez's Avatar
I always solder new wire directly on the servo PCB, and crimp on new contacts at the other end.
Here's a german how-to:
http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...3-0015-00.html
Nov 17, 2008, 11:17 AM
Registered User
richard hanson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
Only place I use a servo extension is from the receiver to the aileron servo connectors. If I need to extend a servo cable 12" or less, I use a better quality replacement servo lead and cut off the original plug, this way I only have a single splice in the wire, fairly cheap, but less work than splicing in wire with double the splices. Now if they'd just sell servo leads longer than 12", I hate to pay for an extension, then cut off the female plug, OK, I'm cheeeep
Pete
JR sells em that way-- servo lead, just same as a battery lead .
Nov 17, 2008, 11:30 AM
Gustatus Similis Pullus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
I always solder new wire directly on the servo PCB, and crimp on new contacts at the other end.
Here's a german how-to:
http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...3-0015-00.html
Ditto. Right now, I've been getting servo connectors and even wire from hobbycity.com. The connector set (both connectors needed for an extension) is $.40 and wire is about $.95/m. The connector set is actually better quality than the ones sold at my LHS for more than 10x the cost.

Alternately, you can purchase long extensions, cut them to fit, and solder them into the servo. I would not recommend soldering directly into the servos if you do not have some experience with very fine soldering. It is easy to damage the circuitry or bridge the connections if you are not extremely careful.
Nov 17, 2008, 01:30 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Julez's Avatar
Cool, thanks for the link!
I need to check the small stuff from HC more often.

Quote:
I would not recommend soldering directly into the servos if you do not have some experience with very fine soldering. It is easy to damage the circuitry or bridge the connections if you are not extremely careful.
That's right. I'm glad I like soldering, otherwise, some parts of this hobby would be a nuisance for me.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Assorted New in Package JR Sport Servo Extensions- All Sizes!!! MikeATL Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 6 Aug 20, 2008 10:46 PM
Brand new-rx battery, switch and servo extensions J328 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Feb 04, 2003 05:21 PM
JR-36 in servo extensions + Mini Fan + Wall Charger chrisc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 24, 2002 04:36 PM
Long pushrods vs. Servo extensions?Ö where to mount the servos? All__talk Electric Plane Talk 10 Feb 19, 2002 03:07 AM