Model Aero Steve Shumate designed Polaris Seaplane Parkflyer Review - Page 6 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 07, 2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycracker
I'd second that. Looks as though there are enough people interested. Circumstances prevent me from much building and the Polaris I built a year or so ago is no longer with us. Sure miss that plane. Water, snow, grass, gravel, blacktop. Wasn't too pretty when it decided to give up.
I do build a few of these to order but for local pick-up only (Napoleon, OH 43545). They are just too difficult to pack properly thus risky to ship.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2010, 10:20 AM
with the esc enclosed in the non with vented fuz can anyone help me it is overheating any suggestion many thanks in advance
Aug 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
Electric since 1990
I taped mine on top just behind the hatch. Stays cool enough.
Aug 30, 2010, 08:47 PM
old grump

Polaris/ North star

I built a north star many years ago. Beautiful , But it just wouldn't lift off. I tried many times, & many changes. Longer nose gear , more powerfull motor. 45 os. It would scream down the runway, But wouldn't lift off. I gave up after many times & adjustments,Nothing worked. Some one said a club he was in had several north Stars that Would not fly . It was set up acording to the plans (LADDY) Wrote ,It's still hanging in my garage for over 12 years,I am thinking of turning it into a speed boat. THE OLD GRUMP
May 16, 2011, 08:36 AM

polaris in ground effect

hello all,
im late to the party but have a Q. before i order my polaris i would love to know how stable it is in ground effect. the many videos i have seen show it to be stable generally but i havnt seen any with it in ground effect for more than a few seconds.
thanks for any info
rgds to all
May 16, 2011, 09:45 PM
Park Jet Guru
It's VERY stable in ground effect. If you look thru the Polaris thread, you'll see several videos with guys driving the Polaris at high speed on the water like a boat. It does great like that, even with some waves. To a lesser extent, you can do the same thing on grass, too.
Jun 26, 2011, 03:08 PM
Rich

Polaris XL

Just finished my XL and setting the control surfaces. Problem with ailerons. In most of my planes I use two servos for the ailerons, can adjust each side as needed. Polaris has one servo to control both.
Right now they each have more down than up. Darned if I can figure out how to get them to give me the opposite.

Any change made on one side affects the other side. Sure feel kind of dumb right now. Been flying for over 40 years. Guess the old brain is tired.

Thanks for any brilliant ideas, or very simple solutions.

Rich

Futaba 7C 2.4, futaba RX
Jun 26, 2011, 04:40 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
Quote:
Just finished my XL and setting the control surfaces. Problem with ailerons. In most of my planes I use two servos for the ailerons, can adjust each side as needed. Polaris has one servo to control both.
Right now they each have more down than up. Darned if I can figure out how to get them to give me the opposite.

Any change made on one side affects the other side. Sure feel kind of dumb right now. Been flying for over 40 years. Guess the old brain is tired.

Thanks for any brilliant ideas, or very simple solutions.

Rich

Futaba 7C 2.4, futaba RX
Can't you adjust the travel of that servo on the transmitter? I had a 7C for a while, and if I remember the travel of a servo in either direction was independently adjustable. I now use a Hitec tx and it has EPA, (end point adjustment), which allows travel both directions to be separately adjusted.

Sonny
Jun 26, 2011, 04:50 PM
Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1
Can't you adjust the travel of that servo on the transmitter? I had a 7C for a while, and if I remember the travel of a servo in either direction was independently adjustable. I now use a Hitec tx and it has EPA, (end point adjustment), which allows travel both directions to be separately adjusted.

Sonny
Quite right if I had a servo on each aileron. That would be no sweat,but this plane has the one servo controlling both sides. Any adjustments on one side affects the other side.

Thanks,

Rich
Jun 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
Quote:
Quite right if I had a servo on each aileron. That would be no sweat,but this plane has the one servo controlling both sides. Any adjustments on one side affects the other side.

Thanks,

Rich
You're right Rich, got it. Next Polaris of any size I build will have two aileron servos, whether it's in the plans or not. I use aileron differential on most of my other planes, and it's easy to make precise adjustments; hard to do with just one servo. Sounds like you have some tweaking to do on the control rods, servo arms and/or control horns to get it right; good luck.

Sonny
Mar 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
Quarry Rat
Are the plans for the Polaris available in CAD or CDR format perhaps?
Aug 26, 2012, 10:36 PM
This is just a really sharpe looking plane. I am planning to build one so I was just wondering about motor and esc. I'll head to the web site and have a look. Wondering about prices. My depron won't be here till next week so I have plenty of time before I need the motor and esc. Looking forward to the build.

Tom
Jul 09, 2014, 02:10 PM
Looks good

Quick Reply