Model Aero Steve Shumate designed Polaris Seaplane Parkflyer Review - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 18, 2009, 01:43 AM
Blew out my flip flop
thanks Jon....I'm gonna have to build one of these
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2009, 07:12 AM
AA6JB
Will this make 10K hits in 30 days? It's gonna be close!
May 28, 2009, 12:15 PM
Well I got my (3) Polari. Just need to finish a few things before we start on the Polaris build. Looking forward to building and flying my Polari.

Dru.
May 28, 2009, 03:26 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
I'm afraid that I may have to build another. My original is getting pretty ratty looking. Still flies great, but who wants a ratty looking Polaris. I need to get back to work.

Tony
May 28, 2009, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
Will this make 10K hits in 30 days? It's gonna be close!
We can do it Jon!!! 10 K is almost there!!!

Dru - Get busy bro, you got some planes to build!!!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
May 29, 2009, 08:40 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Jon: Made it: 10026 as I check it this AM.

Tony
May 29, 2009, 08:45 AM
AA6JB
Thanks Tony!

Not that the original Polaris thread has not already proved it but for a review to hit 10K in less than a month is a pretty good barometer that this is one popular kit!
May 29, 2009, 08:50 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Jon, Steve really hit the mark with this one. I've flown others that he designed but this one is simply the most fun to fly. I think that I was one of the first to build one (from plans) and I flew it all last fall, winter and this spring from grass. It is really beginning to show the worse for wear and I will build another. I absolutely love being able to do touch and goes in my back yard and the bottom of mine shows it. Strangely enough, for a sea plane, mine has never seen water. Just goes to prove its versatility.

Tony
May 29, 2009, 09:05 AM
AA6JB
Tony,

I REALLY recommend putting some of this stuff on the bottom:

Paint Protection Film

I had used some 3M Paint protection film and then could not find it any more. I ordered a 10" x 60" piece of this stuff and it is almost exactly the same. And you can get it from this fellow in just about ANY size!
May 29, 2009, 09:11 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Thanks Jon but my whole airplane didn't cost that much. I might have $5.00 or $6.00 invested in the airframe.

Tony

BTW, Keep up the good work. I really enjoy your reviews. And envy your "job" of doing them.
May 29, 2009, 09:35 AM
AA6JB
Yeah but if it keeps it flying for a much longer period of time .....

I have flown mine off of concrete and a gravel track repeated times and while the foam is scored and dented a little , it is not the least bit damaged at all.
May 29, 2009, 05:58 PM
Congrats Jon on hitting the 10K number of views with your fine review of the Polaris!

I am happy to report that cases of Polarisitis are at an all time high!!! We are just keeping our heads above water with the kit shipments. We are almost caught up, just waiting for some 2212-10 motors.

Thanks again Jon for doing such a fine review and sharing the Polaris with the RC Groups community.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
May 29, 2009, 06:21 PM
AA6JB
So, I find myself wondering just how many Polaris' are flying? At least as far as number of kits sold, which certainly doesn't account for the number built by those who have used Steve's plans?

A hugely popular plane for sure!
Jun 01, 2009, 03:42 PM
Where'd my money go?
Well I'm a proud pilot of a Polaris! Nice videos man! My Polaris is in my blog.
Jun 02, 2009, 01:37 AM
Park Jet Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
So, I find myself wondering just how many Polaris' are flying? At least as far as number of kits sold, which certainly doesn't account for the number built by those who have used Steve's plans?

A hugely popular plane for sure!
Well, the plans in the RCG thread have been downloaded 5,000 times now, so if even 20% of those folks built it that would be 1,000 airplanes. I also know the plans have been posted on several other RC web sites around the world, so that should result in at least a few hundred more. And ModelAero has probably sold a few hundred kits by now, as well. So the number of Polarises flying in the world is probably somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000. Not bad for an airplane that's only been around for 9 months! I'm thrilled to see the great response this model has received.

Steve

Quick Reply