May 01, 2009, 09:26 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Jon, you've nailed the Polaris. If I didn't already have one, I would probably build one based on your review and videos. Actually, I am building another one. But, sin of sins, I'm building the fuselage out of balsa. And am sorely tempted to build another foam one. In my 40+ years of RC, I have to say the Polaris is one of the best, most fun and versatile planes that I have had the privilege of flying.

Tony
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2009, 11:22 AM
add lightness
Awesome review, photos and video!
I might have to pick one of these up, looks great for the water.
I love those Suppo motors. I use the same 2212-06 2200kv on my A-10 pusher, Zagi400 and others.

One thing, when buying the combo, if you buy the Suppo motor and esc combo from Dave @ www.lightflightrc.com you can get the 40 amp esc for only $1 more. always good to have more headroom!
Also if you buy that 40a esc and it a 7" prop fits, you can use an APC 7x5e prop. I run that prop with my Suppo 2212-06 2200kv. yes, I know it is over propping, but I rarely ever fly full throttle, usually slow to medium flying with short bursts of speed for climbing most of the time, which looks like you do the same from the videos. but with that 7x5, you can get crazy climbing power bursts = unlimited vertical climb.

Have a great weekend!
ZF
May 01, 2009, 12:00 PM
Here's a source for the tape. Only 1 inch wide by 12.5 yards but, 12 mil thick, and pricey:

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...=googlebase_18

I've bought a roll of Tyvek housewrapping tape by Dupont to use for hinge material and think it would work well for abrasion resistance. Drawback is that the tape is white with blue "Tyvek" markings on it.
May 01, 2009, 01:03 PM
Very nice......thanks Jon!

And slow down a bit for the poor puppy.

Mike
Last edited by pda4you; May 01, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
May 01, 2009, 01:41 PM
Nice Review Jon!!!

- Richard
May 01, 2009, 05:11 PM
One negative, albeit, easily over come, is that there are no 'stock' means for getting cooling air to the battery and ESC. The solutions are aplenty and easily found in Steve's build thread here on RCG.

Other than that, I LOVE mine! I haven't even flown it off of water yet, only grass and snow.

I built one from scratch and have already recommended it to several fellow foamy fliers!
May 02, 2009, 10:58 AM
killickb
Great review and no doubt that you like this model! I built one from scratch and now we have six under construction in our little group. It certainly is one of the most stable fliers that you can find and has no bad habits that I can find. I fly off grass and water and touch and goes off each is so easy, it is no slouch in the aerobatic arena either. I had an original North Star with a Jett .40 in, which was nowhere near as comfortable to fly as Steve's version is. I think that this airframe/design was just made for electric power. There can't be another foam kit or design that, built standard, will provide as much fun per dollar ---- everyone should have two!!
May 02, 2009, 08:58 PM
Another fantastic Jonboy production! Mike H
May 03, 2009, 08:50 AM

Nice

All I can say: NICE
Awesome video (H2O), liked the end where you said that the plane just gets better
You make me want to build one too
May 03, 2009, 06:33 PM
Great review Jon.
Where the heck do you get to fly where the wind is that calm? The water in the video doesn't even have a ripple. I was lucky enough to get production kit #1 from model aero and built it over the winter. It has two flights off snow with great results and today was it's first flight off grass. Water tests to follow soon. This is a great plane from a company that really cares about the kits they put out. The support has been fantastic. If you buy this plane you will not be disappointed.
May 04, 2009, 10:08 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidrc
Will anyone offer to build one for me? :P
Sure !! I will build you one
If you build me two .......
May 05, 2009, 08:14 PM
Just a plane Junkie
I've been looking for a water plane for awhile now that flies well, handles good on the water, and looks good. This plane appears to fulfill all three requirements, so I ordered one right away Thanks for the review.
May 07, 2009, 10:09 AM
We've just updated the Polaris order page on our website to include the Transport decal set, as well as more motor and ESC options, and a more detailed outline of the recommended power options.

Also, we are now offering a 40 amp ESC as a $5.00 upgrade on the combo. You can check it out Here

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
May 09, 2009, 07:28 PM
Well after a couple of emails to and from Scott, I will be ordering 3 sets of kits, motor, esc, and stickers.

Scott did not have to take timeout of his evening to answer my emails but he did. He was at home and took his personal time to answer my questions. That is what I call above and beyond service.

Dru.
May 16, 2009, 08:23 PM
its TALON TIME!
very cool jon! ive been tempted to scratch build one of these when steve first came out with it. great review

Quick Reply