Nov 14, 2008, 12:03 PM
johnnyu1
Thread OP
Discussion

Horizon Hobby Sport Club Fast Electric RTR boat problem

Hi all,

Have searched the forum, and can't see any previous posts on this subject which might give me answers, so here goes.

My Horizon Hobby Sport Club Fast Electric RTR boat, whilst a very nice intro to an ageing 'newbie' to the sport, has a recurring problem - it runs away!

I suspect this is loss of signal from the 27MHz TX - same thing happens if I turn it on with the TX off - but there is nothing obviously wrong. Range on a small pool is short (< 20 metres), and it even happens when there are no other TX's around on 27MHz.

I can't kill the motor from outside the hull - no external switch - and only disconnecting the motor battery will stop it. Trouble is, the battery is under the access hatch which is screwed down, so I risk the prop cutting me to pieces whilst I attempt to sort it all out!

I've asked the retailer whether I can fit a third-party 'Failsafe' to kill the motor in such an event. They won't say, as the RC is pre-fitted and they can't guarantee one will work.

Can anyone advise please?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2008, 01:14 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
I am not too familiar with that particular boat but here goes, Manufacturers always recommends turning on you TX before your rc to prevent unwanted glitches. As far as range and your unit running away from you. I would recommend having some one hold the hull in their hands while you walk away from it until you no longer have control of it to determine your range. If this range is very short and you feel it should be longer, you can always make sure you have fresh battery in your TX and your RX battery pack if it as one. If your somewhat able to open you TX and your boat, you can verify that the antennas are properly connect. I am using a old pistol grip TX wich is 75mhz AM and I can run my boat 16" hull as far enough that I can no longer see if I am coming or going without it lose control ( out of range ). You mention in your post 20meters, I think this is around 150' feet wich somewhat sound about right for a 27mhz.
Nov 14, 2008, 02:33 PM
Closed Account

rtr boat problem

AndrewG hit it on the head.
Last edited by Mikedown; Nov 19, 2008 at 08:45 AM.
Nov 14, 2008, 05:52 PM
I would go for checking the antenna connection, at least what can be checked externally. Make sure the antenna wire is not coiled or laying flat inside the boat - it needs to be vertical.

It could also be the antenna on the transmitter side. I had a broken connection on the transmitter for the antenna and the range was about 60 feet.

Jim
Nov 17, 2008, 04:34 AM
make sure transmitter batteries and reciever pack are charged fully
always turn the transmitter on first then reciever
also do a range test with the aerial down if tit is not 30-40 yards - take it back to the shop and get it replaced or repaired
Nov 17, 2008, 12:20 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi Johnny,

That sounds suspiciously like a faulty receiver, if the range is that short all the time, I'd bring the boat back and ask for a replacement receiver.

I've have had a similar fault on my 27MHz receiver and had it repaired under guarantee.

Regards, Jan.

Quick Reply