Nov 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Following some re-negotiation over a bottle of wine and a very nice meal, I may well be able to make the last weekend in May, complete with Catalina, Canadair 415 (see http://sopwithmike.mudefordsc.org/ht...ir_cl_415.html for details) and if we have time, the Pettigrew Aiglet. I've had the plans for a year and they are nearly worn out just looking at them, so I really should get round to a floatplane version, with detachable UC, so it can fly off land as well.

So thanks Nick, Highgate House is looking possible.

Regards,

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Right then, 30 / 31 May. Brilliant. Trevor, Mike, PT, Paul, Gordon, who've I missed? There must be more than that.

A little party at Highgate?

Nick
Last edited by nickchud; Nov 15, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Nov 15, 2008, 05:12 PM
You missed yourself in that list Nick.

I will get the 30/31st booked away.
At least that now gives me a time target for the MiniCat.

Nick, what was the ground like to the front left of the building.
See photo below, is it possible to use the ground area in the ring as a runway for land planes?
Nov 16, 2008, 12:58 PM
Well, I'm sure you could do it PT, with a favorable wind. But there isn't much margin for error. As I remember, the surface doesn't differ much from what you can see in the foreground of my picture 3. I'll go back there on another fine day and take some videos. I guess you're hoping to get all the planes in the air at once. People taking off from the field by the car park could fly in the same patch of sky as people using the lake.

If the worst comes to the worst, there are several good possibilities for land planes a short drive away. Minicats, even without wheels, can take off from the grass. The gliding club people say we could go there in the evening. The Market Haborough MAC only use their field on a Sunday as a rule. I'm sure we could take our land planes over there, or up to the Harrington Aviation Museum or even the Braybrooke Cricket Club on the Saturday. I'll talk again to David, the farmer at Naseby, and see if he's got a flatter field nearby.

Once again, if someone's got another idea, it's not too late to change.

We've got quite a lot of planes between us haven't we? You're going to need a trailer, PT.

cheers

Nick
Nov 16, 2008, 05:00 PM
With Mike opening up the field of invitation a bit, I now need a truck.
So far I have the IP Mosquito(74"), IP Chipmunk(74"), a Peter Rake Nieuport 11(42"), with the IP MiniCat(84"), and my own design Fairey Gordon(65") to be built over winter.
Add to that, possibly a couple of tents and all the associated gear.
Looks like a load full.
Last edited by pentaxman; Nov 16, 2008 at 06:14 PM.
Nov 17, 2008, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxman
With Mike opening up the field of invitation a bit, I now need a truck.
So far I have the IP Mosquito(74"), IP Chipmunk(74"), a Peter Rake Nieuport 11(42"), with the IP MiniCat(84"), and my own design Fairey Gordon(65") to be built over winter.
Add to that, possibly a couple of tents and all the associated gear.
Looks like a load full.
I know what you mean! I aim to bring my two IP models (Rapide and Sealand 480) and, if all goes well, Mike's Westland Welkin (currently on the building board). I also have a two other water-capable craft which don't get their feet wet very often. And maybe I should have something else in case it is really windy. . .

Can we rent a hangar at Highgate House?

Trevor
Nov 17, 2008, 10:03 AM
Now we're rolling. This is going to be good.

Don't forget, in my conversation with the farmer, I said "up to 15 people, an outside chance of maybe 20".

British Waterways have given me an email address to write to and I'm doing that now, after a series of phone calls and links almost as complicated as Haringay Council.

cheers

Nick
Nov 17, 2008, 11:51 AM
Nice one Nick, lets hope they are as positive as we are being - I see no reason why not.

Should we have a list of people going so we can control numbers arriving at the site so we can stay within our 15-20 limit?
Nov 17, 2008, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxman
Nice one Nick, lets hope they are as positive as we are being - I see no reason why not.

Should we have a list of people going so we can control numbers arriving at the site so we can stay within our 15-20 limit?
What I've said to the farmer and the British Waterways is: private, invitation only, insurance.

Hopefully, everyone agrees with that.

cheers

Nick
Nov 17, 2008, 05:06 PM
OK by me.
Nov 18, 2008, 03:51 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Me too. I hope I didn't go too far by encouraging other IP modellers to come along, but the "invitation only" tag will ensure that anyone else comes in via this thread.

Mike
Nov 18, 2008, 12:19 PM
Mike

I certainly did not think you went too far but the post was a little non specific with regards to the body limit we have imposed on ourselves for this first meeting.

Of course any modeller with an IP model (preferably flying it too) will be welcomed.
Nov 18, 2008, 04:07 PM
That sounds alright to me.

An IP model, with insurance, gets us in. Then if we bring other electric models too, well we can only fly one at a time after all.

I haven't heard back from the Waterways people yet. I'll post the reply when I do.

cheers

Nick
Nov 21, 2008, 05:11 AM

More views

I went down to the reservoir again to day and took some more photos.

Facing East across the slipway,
I turned round to the West.

Then I took another 20 paces back and facing West towards the landfill, I turned round to the East

Sorry, not very satisfactory results with the lighting. The sun was fairly low in the S-E. And I need to clean my camera lense too. Hey-ho!

Water levels may be a bit lower by the end of May.

cheers

Nick
Last edited by nickchud; Nov 21, 2008 at 05:24 AM.
Nov 21, 2008, 06:04 AM
Hi Nick,
The reservoir looks just the ticket - hope the ducks aren't moored there though! Where are we hoping to do ROG again?
Paul W.