British Ivan Model Builders Organisation (BIMBO) Flyers - Page 2 - RC Groups
Nov 12, 2008, 04:11 AM
Hi Mike,
Christchurch is very appealing and very much a site to add to the flying log - electrics are very site-friendly, aren't they? Thanks for the suggestion and I, for one, will get in touch with next year in mind.
Hi Nick,
Naseby sounds like a good possibility for a possible water e-fly gathering, especially with the offer of the sailing club's beach (have they got a safety boat that could be loaned to us?). Will we need British Waterway's permission? Good work and best of luck with the possibility of a grass strip too!
Paul W.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2008, 10:35 AM
What could possibly go wrong?

Good news

I've spoken to David Miles, the farmer who owns the sailing club, car park, beach and two green fields adjacent, to the West.

Here's an aerial photo

He's put Saturday 23 May (changed to 30/31 May)in his diary for us, tbc. He says I can hop over the gate and take some photos in the next couple of days, which I'll post on here.

I said: "Can we make a contribution to your favorite charity?" And I think he said: "don't worry about it, just phone me again a couple of weeks before the time."

The British Waterways have a bailif and David says we probably wouldn't need to worry about that, since it's a small private gathering. If people feel the need for extra security, I'll give them a ring. In my view, up to about 10 planes on the water for 2 or 3 hours won't ring any alarm bells.

I've also got an offer of a rescue boat.

What could go wrong?

Nick
Last edited by nickchud; Apr 22, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Nov 12, 2008, 12:08 PM
Nick

Wonderfull work there, now please don't go tempting fate by asking what could go wrong - two words - WIND and RAIN.

I would have a quick chat to the Water Baliff prior to the event since I would not want him to make a trip out to see us and to kick us off site on a weekend. Not only that, we have nothing to hide, we are doing no damage and we have already asked the land owner who has given his consent, so it is the done thing to ask. At least that way we will have covered all angles.

Are we still talking about 1 day or a weekend event? Is there the possibillity of camping in the field behind the "club house". Bear in mind this is the first weekend of the half term Witsun holiday, so roads may be a little congested.

A quick snap of the "Boat Club"

Last edited by pentaxman; Nov 12, 2008 at 12:21 PM.
Nov 12, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hi Nick,
That is indeed wonderful work - to echo PT - I also agree that we should talk to the owners/water Bailiff so that we have a prior permission - we would not want to bring the sport in to disrepute by making free with their water!
Paul W.
(This is all falling to you to organise, sorry I am not nearer to offer help!)
Nov 12, 2008, 04:21 PM
Well done, Nick.

Naseby is out of day trip range for me so we would need to make a weekend of it. Having the facility available for both days would at least double the chances of getting a few hours of flyable weather.

Trevor
Nov 13, 2008, 04:36 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Yes, echo the well done - it looks a really good location Nick. Unfortunately I will not be here at the end of May: I have a compulsory "miss this and you're toast" holiday to go on!

Mike
Nov 13, 2008, 06:52 AM

Photos

Clearly, PTs "quick snap of the Boat Club" from Google is much more up to date than my Multimap one, which must belong to days of former glory.

It was a dull damp morning when I went down there today. For land based planes I was looking at the 2 fields adjacent to the car park. The northerly, smaller one is not really suitable as it has the remnants of ridge and furrow running across it, East-West. The larger one has a bit of a dip on the East side half way from North to South. The West side is pretty good though. I guess, if we have a westerly wind, we'll get about 80 level yards without much to worry about in the way of trees. Southerly wind gives about 150 yds, with trees at the North end. The reservoir shouldn't cause any problems.

If you can imagine a nice fine summers' day with a gentle South Westerly, we should be all right.

On the other hand, nothing is final yet and any other ideas should still be considered.

We could probably camp in those fields somewhere. The flying club at Sibbertoft would welcome us. They have a bar, washing / toilets etc. There are good pubs at Naseby and Thornby, within a couple of miles. I live within about 6 miles and I'd be delighted to offer extra hospitality, maybe a barbecue dinner on Sat night.

Having looked at these pics, give me some idea of the numbers camping and I'll phone up the farmer again. I'll certainly phone the water bailiff, as soon as we decide to go ahead with this venue.
Last edited by nickchud; Nov 13, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
Nov 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
Having looked at these pics, give me some idea of the numbers camping and I'll phone up the farmer again.
Looks like a promising venue. Persuading my wife that she should spend her birthday with a bunch of aeromodellers beside a reservoir is one thing, but if I was to suggest that we camped overnight, I think I would be in the same predicament as Mike!

We will probably look for a farmhouse B&B somewhere near. The Saturday evening barbecue sounds nice though Nick

Thanks again for doing all the hard work.

Trevor
Nov 13, 2008, 12:13 PM
Yep, Great Crested Grebe in picture 5.

Nick, what lies to the left of the building as you face it (to the left in picture 1)?
Looks flatish on the overhead shot but is that really the case?
Google is about 2-3 years out of date, so not as accurate as your pictures. And thank you for taking the trouble to take them.

Do we want to consider shifting the date since we already have 2 date clashes?
Nov 13, 2008, 12:34 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Nick and all BIMBOs: if you are thinking of moving the date, then I'm free from the end of May: only the 13 - 17 July and 8 - 14 August are completely out. BTW, the Bournemouth Air Festival is scheduled for 20 - 23 August, and as I have a 5m RIB I'm planning to motor out to the best bit of sea on the Thursday and Friday, to take some pics and soak up the atmosphere. I think I can persuade Trevor to ignore his dislike of non-flying boats to come out on one of the days, but if Pentaxman or Nick, you fancy a bit of sea air, please let me know. The boat can easily carry 4. This year we had an excellent display on all 4 days, even though the weather was not terribly good. Watching the Catalina fly dead overhead on the Sunday was excellent!

Mike
Nov 13, 2008, 02:18 PM
Mike and Trevor and all other Bimbo's, would the following weekend be better suited, the 30 / 31st?

Mike I may well take you up on the offer for BAF, I have not been to a decent air display since Greenham Common - I will let you guess how long ago that is!

Normally the last week of July and 1st week of August are holiday dates for us so they would be out for me.
Nov 13, 2008, 02:47 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Sorry, not for me. If we could do it in Sicily I might be able to get a day off!

Mike
Nov 13, 2008, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxman
Mike and Trevor and all other Bimbo's, would the following weekend be better suited, the 30 / 31st?

Mike I may well take you up on the offer for BAF, I have not been to a decent air display since Greenham Common - I will let you guess how long ago that is!

Normally the last week of July and 1st week of August are holiday dates for us so they would be out for me.
I can manage any weekend in May or June at the moment.

It would be nice if we could get as many IP models there as possible. Even if the flying weather is not great, it will be fascinating to see the various ways we have set about Ivan's plans.

The BAF was indeed very good, so I intend to be there next year - whether at sea with Mike or on the beach.

Trevor
Nov 13, 2008, 04:00 PM

Birthday

Trevor.. This is serious. We need you and your Rapide. However, camping with a bunch of aeromodellers next to a landfill site on yer birthday... I don't think so.

Here's a plan. Why not stay here It's a lovely, romantic place.

I'll explain. In 1964 my parents bought a dilapidated country house and started a conference business, we still run it. My dad still lives nearby, he has 8 children and 29 grandchildren, which is why I know most of the farmers who live around. A few weeks ago I had my 60th birthday there. Most of my friends stayed overnight there, some of them also stayed there on my 21st.

You don't have to put up with the rest of us, but one option is that other aeromodellers also stay at Highgate and we all have dinner there. Another option is that others camp at the Sibbertoft gliding club and have dinner at my house. You choose.

Mike .. Similarly, You're needed. I'm looking forward to seeing your Duchess, if it's ready, not to mention the chance to see how a Minicat should be done. Are you not available for 23 May? I'm not available for 16th, how about the 9th? The 30/31 May would also be fine. I'll have to check with the farmer.

PT - that hump behind the club house in picture one is the same as in picture six - the landfill site. It's not at all threatening for flying there, I don't think it'll bother us. Specially being to the West. The approaches for grass landing will be over the lake. If it's a south wind, there are some trees at the north end of the strip, but that would give us quite a long strip, so, no problem, really.

We can do it....

cheers

Nick
Last edited by nickchud; Nov 14, 2008 at 02:21 AM.
Nov 14, 2008, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
Trevor.. This is serious. We need you and your Rapide. However, camping with a bunch of aeromodellers next to a landfill site on yer birthday... I don't think so.

Here's a plan. Why not stay here It's a lovely, romantic place.
Nick
Thanks for that. Highgate House looks good to me.