Sep 26, 2018, 12:45 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
My DH 86 Express from Ivan's plan has now had its markings applied and some flights in superb afternoon sunshine at Strawberry Field. The usual problem of looking straight into the sun was solved by standing on the far side of the field and flying over the pits area - no-one else was there!

The markings are by Tim of Model Marking fame and at last bring the model to life. The flight characteristics remain excellent (she will take off with no control inputs except throttle) and her landings are flatteringly good. I suppose with two 100" glider wings I should not be surprised. The fuselage side area is considerable and I'm sure she would knife-edge if anyone was brave enough to try.

The motors are annoyingly noisy and one in particular seems out of phase and may even have a bent shaft. Perhaps I should have made the cowls detachable after all!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2018, 04:20 PM
build like there is no 2moz
excellent job mike :-)
Sep 26, 2018, 04:26 PM
Beautiful plane. The lines on the wings are just gorgeous. Great effort.

Wij.
Sep 29, 2018, 04:03 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Today, Trevor and I managed to fly the two DH biplanes together in a ragged sort of follow my leader. It was marvellous! It's difficult as a pilot to appreciate the spectacle, but the response from fellow fliers at Strawberry Field was unanimous. Unfortunately the video was not so good but we have a plan for next time.

A few minutes later Malcolm flew his DHC Chipmunk, completing a trio of Ivan's designs.

Here's the video - don't expect too much!

De Haviland Rapide and Express (0 min 48 sec)
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Sep 29, 2018 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply