May 26, 2018, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHK1ECG
Getting back to the Bimbo weekend. We now have a Corgi get together on the Sunday but am still available for the rest of the time.

Martin and Sue
28 Pembroke Corgis last year at the same event. Doggy heaven ................
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2018, 04:14 AM
Slip the surly bonds...

Ivan's report on the May Fly-In at Chilliwack

Ivan has been in touch and has kindly let me use his text as the basis for this post, to bring us up to date with the scene at Chilliwack.

Weather is promising to be great, so we look forward to renewing ‘old’ acquaintances. Referring to the word “old,” the past three weeks I have felt as if I have suddenly added ten years to my age because of a bad bout of Labyrinthitis. If you don’t know what that is, you don’t want to know. The first week it was nausea and vertigo, the second week double vision and now dizziness. Maybe I will be able to fly again in another few weeks without feeling I am in a flat spin, but this weekend I will enjoy being a spectator.

So let's start off by wishing him well and a speedy recovery!

Greetings from Saturday.

It was the best turn out at the Lake since the grand opening four years ago. No rain, and average temperature for late May, but a keen S.W. wind kept quite a few planes on the ground. There were a good number of campers overnight and I believe they had some wonderful flying off the lake, starting at something like 5:30 AM. I was not there in time to see that part of the day, but heard glowing reports about it. During the time I was at the field I was really impressed with the high quality of the flying I saw. In spite of the choppy conditions I did not see a crash, or even something that looked like an accident about to happen. The forecast is for a light breeze tomorrow, so hopes are high for a great day.

It was great to see so many from afar, and the BBQ was great. Cheers the team of helpers!!! I believe it will be a pancake breakfast at 10:00 am tomorrow.

The pictures will tell the rest of the story.

And from Sunday

And what a morning it was; one of those beautiful days at the lake that we dream about. I believe the early risers were doing a pile of flying in the early hours on glassy water, and were still flying when I got there. I was not too early getting there and missed the first taxi trials of the 1/15 scale Mars when it inadvertently got airborne when the pilot was only intending to do some taxi tests. I think there will be something on the thread about that. Tim Horsfall was flying the prototype Catalina 600 and with the beach in such good shape was able to taxi into the lake from where shown in the first photo, and do his routine of taking off from the lake, doing a touch and go on the grass airstrip, then finishing the flight on the lake again. You will notice a change to some of the color scheme on it, but I was surprised to learn that it still flies on the original Magnetic Mayham brushed motors and Master Airscrew gearboxes. Not bad for 19 years. The mini cat was flying with a different owner who is new to me. He is a good pilot and is really excited about how it flies; even with those cheap GWS geared 400 motors.

Colin Dyck took the prize for best float plane with the original Solent 400, also still flying on the same GWS geared 400 motors and still in the TEAL green on white color scheme like the Minicat.. The other flying boat shown on the beach in the second picture is a very nice Sealand 480 built and flown by Terry Hammel of our club. At one point all four of those flying boats were in the air at one time for quite a while. The circuit was busy. Terry is well along building a Mosquito 600 which you might see flying sometime.

I should have added in the last message that when I arrived at the field on Saturday the plane doing a beautiful slow-flight close-in aerobatic routine was a KZ-4. As I guessed, it was Tim Horsfall who I thought would be the one person capable of flying a KZ-4 like that, and it seems that he is the owner of the prototype KZ-4 now. But the surprise was to find that it still has the original geared Jamara 480 brushed motors. The other plane Tim flew on Saturday was the DHC Buffalo that Hal build. It also still flies on the original Atomic Force racing car motors and superboxes that Hal had built.

Well past my bedtime now. No problem posting anything I write, or photo with my “walker.” Just shows I am human. Just as well we have that “walker” for Rosella. She has allowed me to borrow it temporarily.

Ivan
Jun 13, 2018, 12:33 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
I had arranged an impromptu trip to Longham, partly to buy some stuff at the Hobby Centre (well stocked, but not cheap) and partly to have a quick fly with my Skipper. I was surprised to find that Martin and Sue Hardy were already there with Martin's Piaggio and he got in a flight before it turned too breezy to fly. This was the first time I had seen it and it certainly is a superb model, beautifully finished and detailed and with a remarkably realistic sound when throttled back a bit. The landing in the gusty offshore wind was tricky but she survived without damage.

I only had my phone, so although the wide angle snaps are OK, the flying shots are only so-so.
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Jun 15, 2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Azur, not Azure...je pense
Jun 14, 2018, 04:21 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
A beautiful evening today up at Market Harborough. I'm getting the hang of this Dragonfly now:
Dfly (2 min 3 sec)

2 things I've learnt: One, this is not a bank and yank plane. Rudder comes first. Two, use some power to keep the nose up when landing. She can easily lose height without gaining speed, unlike the DH Albatross - that goes on for ever.

Last edited by nickchud; Jun 14, 2018 at 04:26 PM.
Jun 15, 2018, 02:01 AM
Very nice!
Jun 15, 2018, 07:43 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Excellent landing! Did you make any changes to the CG?
Jun 15, 2018, 08:51 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Thanks chaps, I moved the CG about 1/2" forward. The main change was to reduce the elevator travel to exactly what Ivan stated on the plan. Doh!

Jul 25, 2018, 10:48 AM
Slip the surly bonds...

News from Ivan

Ivan has a new model at the lake and is impressed by the goose flying school...

Thanks Zoltan for being the photographer this morning. The first photo shows the geese on the far beach, I imagine they were doing their preflight briefings for today’s lesson plan at their summer flight school. Looks like they are almost ready for the first solos. Presently they are doing pretty well at high speed taxiing, getting on the step, but not quite lifting off. And when they do get into the air, they will fly formation! Any pilot will tell you that formation flying is for the pros, especially when there are more than two aircraft. Yet Geese do it from day one. I have yet to see a mid air between geese, or a crash. Go figure!

The model shown is a slightly larger version of the 2015 LakeMaster which flew with a Park 400 motor. I call this the LakeMaster 480. In size it is in between the LakeMaster 400 built three years ago and the ever faithful Seagull. Span is 52 inches with 480 sq inches wing area, weighing is at 41 ounces. This old timer is getting lazy and prefers to have a model small enough to fit in a vehicle without removing wings. Nothing like taking it out at the lake in one piece ready to fly. It will go vertical with a park 480 motor and 2.2 AH 3 cell battery. Maybe I should have used a Park 450 , but it was a matter of using a surplus motor that was on hand.

This time last year we were into a month or more of smoke, and visibility was not nice for flying. So far we have endless blue skies this year and flying has been wonderful. Hope it holds up that way for our fly in scheduled for the weekend of August 19th.

Enjoy your summer while it lasts. Ours is great.

Ivan

Don't forget BIMBO 2018 is on 17/19 August down here in Christchurch as guests of C&DMFC. On the Sunday it's the Salisbury Scale Day, so maybe a trip there?
Jul 25, 2018, 11:23 AM
I've just issued an e-mail about the forthcoming BIMBO weekend. If you haven't received it, you're not on my list - which may be my fault or yours! However all BIMBs are welcome, just let me know by e-mail or by PM if you've been missed off and I'll send you the details.

Trevor
Aug 18, 2018, 11:07 AM
Slip the surly bonds...

Bimbo 2018

For the first time since 2011, the weekend we chose is too windy to fly Ivan's models, so we assembled them in my back garden for a coffee, cake and the traditional photo-op. "We" are Malcolm (Chipmunk), Clive (Albatross), Martin (Sealand with retracts and Twin Otter), Sue (Turbulent, but also behind a camera) Trevor (Chipmunk, Sealand, Comet and Rapide), Tim (Twin Otter), Nick (Turbulent, Twin Lakemaster, Shoestring and Dragonfly), Scott (Turbulent) and behind the camera, Mike (Auster and Express). Not forgetting Rosie the dog and back at Chilliwack, Ivan (Richard Pearce).

Tomorrow seems to be a washout but Monday looks possible for a Strawberry Field sortie.
Aug 19, 2018, 08:17 AM
Slip the surly bonds...

Bimbo 2018

Windy Sunday and Scott got a bit of sloping at Barton Cliff with his de-fanged Pico-Jet (no photos). The we went to the Bournemouth Air Museum adjacent to the airport. None of us had visited since it had to move from its rather palatial hangar on the airfield (now a car park) to a field and a few small buildings outside the perimeter. The exhibits are suffering from their 10 years exposed to the elements but it is still an interesting place to visit, and worth the £6 entry charge.

We didn't decide on next year's dates or venue, but it will be the 10th BIMBO meeting, so needs to be celebrated. Keep building Ivan's planes!
Sep 06, 2018, 01:10 AM
build like there is no 2moz
Since the Bimbo weekend, I have managed to fit in a few more flights, in some pretty splendid weather.
As a result, and because I was feeling brave/stupid? I decided to venture the turbulent out in is strongest (but steady) winds.
apart from slow windward progress, it was fine :-)

Too windy for the minidrake on that occasion, but the following weekend, saw a lovely calm spell, so the repaired glider, minidrake and Twinstar have now flown
Sep 11, 2018, 07:07 AM
Slip the surly bonds...

Catch-Up

I have been away in sunny Menorca for a week or so then heavily involved with one of our Sailing Club's regattas, so this a bit of a catch up.

I maidened the DH86 Express just before the holiday and although it is waiting for the markings, it still looked pretty good in the air and handled pefectly. I very strongly recommend this model if you have a shed big enough and 150 hours to play with.

An Australian modeller, Laurie Baldwin, has completed and flown an Ivan's Mosquito 600. You won't find it on the Hall of Fame on the Ivan thread because a Post is limited to 150 photos and the Express was #150. Lucky eh? This raises the question of how the thread proceeds. Luke won't mind me saying that he wants to hang up his spurs at this appropriate point. Any suggestions as to how we might proceed would be welcome

Ivan has been very busy preparing for Rosella's Celebration of Life which is on Saturday 15th September but he did find time to re-motor his latest LakeMaster - here's what he said:

On Saturday morning the family told me I should get out of the house for a
while and have fun with the boys, so I had some time at the Lake trying the
latest version of the LakeMaster. The 500 watt motor I had been using was
the only motor I had on hand when I built it, but was overkill, and too much
power on a pylon motor with the thrust line so high makes for handling
problems. And who needs to climb vertical in a flying boat. I got a Park
450 and it is more than adequate. All I have to do now is shave a bit off
the top of the motor cowling.

I also changed to traditional wing floats. I did not like the look of the
Thurston floats and they had a bad characteristic when taking off in a cross
wind. The Seagull was somewhat the same. It is a really a fun to fly model
now with the change to the 450 motor.
Sep 11, 2018, 02:19 PM
Complete the Illusion!
Mike, can you not start a new Ivan thread no 2, and have Luke close the old thread to posting and have cross links to both threads, a new Ist post would enable the start of gallery 2 and the next 150 Ivan models

Quick Reply