This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 11, 2017, 03:56 PM
Scott Zastoupil
Thread OP
I thought I'd share my recent build project. It is a bungee launch 2 meter wood sailplane that is purpose built for the F3RES class. It is a low key competition class that has been flow in Europe for ~5 years and is more recently being promoted in the US. The general idea was to create a sailplane class of models that can be a competitive moderating performing airplane on a budget. (~$200-250 airframe) It caters to building your own model from wood while leveraging up-to-date higher performance airfoils. The rules limit the use composites to certain areas. This might be a fun club competition if there were enough people interested.

Currently building this one.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...301-Opal-F3RES

Currently on the waiting list for this one. 2-3 week wait time
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2M-Competition

Reference forum on models available, building resources, etc.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-RES-Resources

A rules summary:

The Model
- Limited to 2 metre wing span.
- 3- channels only, for Rudder, Elevator and Spoiler
- Construction is predominantly wood, but carbon is permitted for spars, booms and leading edges.

The Competition
Competitors have a 9 minute slot to achieve a 6 minute flight and a precision landing. Launch is by a standardized bungee.

The Bungee
The standard bungee consists of 15m of tubing and 100m line. The bungee part must have less that 4kg pull when stretched to 45m. It should be noted that the majority of F3-RES models are not designed to take a full winch launch and may well fail if this is attempted. The advantage is that a reduced strength requirement permits much lighter structures.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2017, 04:06 PM
Pro Bro #829
I built an X-RES last year. Its light enough that I can throw it to about 45-50 feet and catch thermals on a good day.
Id love to get a competition going.
I like the looks of the one you have on order.
Oct 11, 2017, 04:35 PM
Scott Zastoupil
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by steener
I built an X-RES last year. Its light enough that I can throw it to about 45-50 feet and catch thermals on a good day.
Id love to get a competition going.
I like the looks of the one you have on order.
That's great! I originally was interested in the XRES with the removable tail and built up fuselage.

What drove you to give it a try?
Do you have previous sailplane experience?
Do you have any buddies to drag in to this?
Oct 11, 2017, 04:48 PM
Pro Bro #829
Ive been trying to get some Green Bay members interested but havent had any luck.

Ive got several sailplanes and a couple DLG. Building a 1.5m Crysalis Electric right now. Very impressed with the kits fitment and design.
Oct 11, 2017, 04:52 PM
Pro Bro #829
The threads about all the Euro F3RES got me wanting a super light 2M ship. The X-RES was one of the few available last year. Put my name on the list for a PuRES a long time ago so Im assuming thats not going to happen.
Oct 11, 2017, 05:20 PM
Scott Zastoupil
Thread OP
The Pures seems to be popular. It is my understand the Slight is an update of that model and is slightly "better" with some improvements.

There is another local person here that is building a MadRES and has a Samba on the shelf.

By the way, if you or someone else is in the need of a budget DLG, I have a Stobel V3 to sell. Just add RX and fly. $200.
Oct 11, 2017, 05:38 PM
Pro Bro #829
Sounds like the Appleton club has much more soaring activity going on. Do you usually go to the sod farm or just soar at the land fill?
Thinking I might have to join again to get some friendly soaring time.
Oct 16, 2017, 03:33 PM
I was out at the sod farm today and removed the chains from the porta potty! it is a little wet out there right now!
Oct 16, 2017, 03:40 PM
Scott Zastoupil
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Abendroth
I was out at the sod farm today and removed the chains from the porta potty! it is a little wet out there right now!
Thank you Tom. I assume you are talking about the attachments to the anchors.
Oct 17, 2017, 03:33 PM
yes anchors chains and locks are in the pin box
Oct 18, 2017, 09:10 AM
Maybe I will take the anchors and locks home to clean and lube the locks. I am thinking of measuring the top of the pin box and maybe make a new top over the winter; it's starting to look pretty rough. The plywood is de-laminating.

Mike
Nov 02, 2017, 10:43 PM
RoyH
I am also looking for some more friendly soaring people. I'm thinking about joining.
Earlier this year I built the AndREaS F3RES and have been flying that at the park by my house. The AndREaS is one of the few up-to-date gliders I a have in my fleet. Would like to get together with like minded flyers.
Roy
Nov 03, 2017, 06:31 AM
Pro Bro #829
Sounds like we might have to have a little F3RES competition.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:36 AM
Pro Bro #829
Anyone know of any good slope soaring spots around?
Nov 09, 2017, 12:41 PM
Scott Zastoupil
Thread OP
Let me know if you find one.

I looked through Greg Smith's list years ago. Most are along with lake shore.

http://slopeflyer.com/flying-sites/w...unee/#more-585
http://slopeflyer.com/category/flying-sites/wisconsin/

I used to fly off of a "Kmart" hill in Waupaca with a Weasel. It was fun, but usually very turbulent. I went sloping last year with an Easy Glider hoping it would would be smoother, but it was not. Still fun though.

Quick Reply