Nov 11, 2008, 04:33 AM
Thread OP

South Arm spots worth a try

I haven't flown at any of these sites but they look like they have potential.

First is Clifton beach, the eastern heads would be a great place to try in a sea breeze. Access is via walking tracks from the end of the road. The dunes on the actual beach could be fun in light winds.

Second is the Wedge. The eastern side of the beach has good headlands, ask permission form the land owner though! the western end is a good looking sea cliff, and the wind might funnel well in the coves.

Thirdly Fort Direction. Watch out here because if you go out of the red circle zone you'll be in a milatary training area! but don't worry they have put up nice big fences to keep riff raff out
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2008, 02:01 AM
Fort direction is a no go zone, we used to slope there years ago, not allowed now.
South arm is small and needs a west wind, doesnt happen a lot.
The wedge has a gravel car park to land in, not the best.
Clifton beach ok, but longish walks.
The one which you have missed is at the bottom left corner on the picture off Clifton beach, its a massive hill. I havent got permission from the owners yet to go up there.
Nov 15, 2008, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Thanks F3B, I haven't done any sloping over at Clifton, any info is welcome.

Got a few photo's of Piersons point the other day, and one of North Bruny. I think this could be a good spot in northerlies
Nov 26, 2008, 05:20 AM
slope fever
here's a nice little spot over looking cartlon beach.
flew my fat albert there tonight in light conditions (good lift till the wind stopped)
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&h...,0.006952&z=18
Dec 01, 2008, 03:06 AM
slope fever

south arm sand dune

Tried the sand dune at south arm this afternoon blowing 20 kph from WNW.
It was coming a bit across the slow from left to right but good lift never the less.
Just one thing to look out for and that is the old dead tree at the top of the dune, only one there and I still managed to hit it . can't wait to try it on a NW or a NNW..
Dec 02, 2008, 02:32 AM
Thread OP
I'm hoping this westerly keeps up if it does I'm going to try the Jart off Droughty point. I did think about chucking it off piersons in a strong SE, but I chickened out.
Dec 02, 2008, 03:19 AM
slope fever
saw a wing flying up at clifton beach on the head land on sunday.
looked like he was on private property. I'll have to try and find out if its the owner flying there or what . looked like a good slope as there wasn't much wind and he was going pretty well.
Dec 02, 2008, 05:21 AM
That is a special place // you need a special password to go in there.. OK special one
Dec 02, 2008, 05:51 AM
Auzzie built planks
craig1977, hows the special DS FAT ALBERT? We heard that tas air isn't as quick as Qld Air!!!!!!!!!! I guess ill have to come and see!

i wish we had some spots like in the pics how many weeks can i stay for?
Latest blog entry: More colours
Dec 02, 2008, 11:43 PM
Thread OP
craig, was that the southern end of clifton?
Dec 03, 2008, 03:23 AM
slope fever
yeah southern end near the life guard building.
little white wing or at least thats what it looked like from the beach.
Dec 03, 2008, 03:25 AM
slope fever
timbo, you can come down as long as you want as long as I get to have a fly of the cat 1
Dec 10, 2008, 01:51 AM
Breaker of Stuff

New Slope

Flew my weasel at at a new slope today at Howth about 10mins east of Burnie up on the right hand side of the round about.
I think it's called the giant's elbow or something like that.
It was blowing NE about 20km/hr and the lift was awesome!
Caught a couple of thermals that specked the weasel out.
Easy access and the landing zone is really good. It's on private property but the owners don't mind.
Here's a couple of pics.
Cheers.
Dec 26, 2008, 04:40 AM
Thread OP
I found a great spot. I went for a sneaky fly on christmas eve. it was blowing northerly at about 20 knots....

anyway the slope is a hill just to the east of brighton, it goes from 50m above sea level to 300 in a very short distance, and the north facing lead up to the slope is pretty much level for about 10k's. The wind up the top was blowing around 30knots or so. gust felt stronger. I took the Jart up there and boy was I rewarded! getting into groovy 40m halfpipes. there is a LOT of lift of this slope. the LZ does have a few dead trees, which i hit of course, and some rocks. can't wait to go back there.
Dec 26, 2008, 05:41 PM
slope fever
you'll have to let me know when you fix the jart v and when your going to fly it again would love to see her fly..

Quick Reply