"OOOOOH The Germans!!" Wespe VTOL - RC Groups
Nov 08, 2008, 10:12 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Cool

"OOOOOH The Germans!!" Wespe VTOL

I found this website a few years ago that has the coolest WW2 German Concept aircraft.

http://www.luft46.com/

It makes me wonder if the aerospace industry has EVER come up with an original idea! Swing Wings, Lifting Bodies, Tilt Rotors, VTOL, Flying wings, nearly every design of aircraft I can think of was already a concept by the Germans in the 40's!!!

Anyhow. I really like the Wespe VTOL design. Someone did a very scale foamy of it a while back and i thought it would be awesome to do a simple Profile version.

Check it out!

18" Wingspan, 30" Length could be awesome!

Bonus points if you can name the movie that line is from.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2008, 10:36 PM
You have $10 and a half decent PC?
Download IL-2 1946
you will end up hating these flying blenders :-)
Nov 08, 2008, 10:48 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
The Simpsons Season 3 episode 11: Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk

Horst: (Sinister) Okay, Mr. Burns, you win. But beware. We Germans aren't all smiles and sunshine.

Mr. Burns:
(Sarcastic) Oooh, the Germans are mad at me. I'm so scared! Oooh, the Germans! (Hiding behind Smithers) Uh oh, the Germans are going to get me!

Horst: Stop it!

Mr. Burns: (Pause) No! They're so big and strong!

Probably not the reference you were looking for, but it sprang to mind....

DG
Nov 09, 2008, 12:25 AM
Foam flies better
Yah you can fly these in il2 1946. And its also the most complete and realistic ww2 flight simulator ever made. Its worth it. The darned thing would have never flown in reality though. Still, brilliant ideas.
Nov 09, 2008, 05:48 AM
snɹɹıɔoʇl∀
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Or Die
The darned thing would have never flown in reality though. Still, brilliant ideas.
You're probably right; however, I've modelled the aircraft in X-Plane (reckoned to be the most realistic consumer flight sim available) and it did fly- quite well actually. Problem is, it needed 6000hp to take off .

Good luck with this beast SGTalon
Nov 09, 2008, 07:24 AM
Working on the same idea in sketchup----->
http://yukikazeb03.deviantart.com/ar...che1-103089574
Nov 09, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hehehe If i can make a Tie Fighter and a Klingon Bird of Prey fly this should be a piece of cake!
Nov 10, 2008, 06:09 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Check out StringFlys Sidewinder missile ... Foamie Kits forum... a little adaptation and you're there...
Nov 10, 2008, 07:09 AM
What a great site, and the drawings are usable as plans! This just became a new Favorite.

Check this one out, a rocket powered interceptor proposed by Werner von Braun

Last edited by Will Rock; Nov 10, 2008 at 07:15 AM.
Nov 10, 2008, 07:32 AM
Yeah that site is totally awesome. You notice how much that Von Braun plane looks like the X-1?

I am telling you guys. The WW2 Germans are the source for all airplane ideas since then.

I honestly can't think of any designs that are not represented there.
Nov 10, 2008, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
Yeah that site is totally awesome. You notice how much that Von Braun plane looks like the X-1?

I am telling you guys. The WW2 Germans are the source for all airplane ideas since then.

I honestly can't think of any designs that are not represented there.
Yeh, look at this. Can you say Osprey?

Nov 10, 2008, 08:35 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
They did seem to play all the plane cards on the table...wonder how such an enlightened group of people could let one IDIOT lead them to ruin??? Never mind, makes me think of Dubya'...
Nov 10, 2008, 09:31 AM
Actually before Hitler became a total megalomaniac he did a lot of great things for Germany.

They were totally a 3rd world country after World War 1 reparations put them back in the middle ages technology and economy wise. Hitler came in and turned it all around. In 10 years they went from the worst country in Europe to the greatest.

The best thing is he embraced any and all technology and funded the heck out of it. I have no doubt in my mind that had he not come to power we would have never developed a huge amount of aviation technology, engine technology, jet engines, rocekt power, we would have never gone to the moon, tons of things!

I mean seriously the US was just recovering from the depression do you think they would have spent money on any of the aviation research that we did? No way.

Hitler may have been responsible for some of the greatest atrocities in human history but he was also responsible for paving the way for some of our greatest achievements.

This website is a perfect example of some of the coolest things ever dreamed up.
Nov 10, 2008, 10:03 AM
So are you gonna dust off that Osprey, or what?

KW
Nov 10, 2008, 11:42 AM
Gah! I knew someone was going to remember that!

Designing takes so much less effort than building =)

Yeah yeah yeah i will get to that too. It is all built too. I just need to put the gear in it.