Oct 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
A couple of photos of the Peregine in the air. This bird is not easy to fly.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2012, 06:43 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Does it keep changing direction?
Oct 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
fine paint job, Joel!

How did yo do that?

Nick
Oct 19, 2012, 09:56 PM
The paints are inexpensive hobby acylics applied with paintbrushes. The bird has a number of issues that make it a handful, although I added about an oz odf lead to the nose that has calmed it somewhat. It is not that responsive to the ailerons. The v tail is much more effective. . I am not used to having to fly rudder and aileron at the same time. It wants to pitch up under power or in a turn and full down elevator must be used to prevent a pitch up and stall even with substantial down thrust. This is accentuated when to flaperons are set for optimum glide. The plane is stable in a glide but great care must be taken when flying under power or a stall is easily induced. It recovers relatively quickly if one does not overcontrol it.
Oct 20, 2012, 01:33 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Would some alleron differental help and a more forward cg ?
Oct 20, 2012, 01:55 AM
I already have aileron differential programmed, and a 45 degree dive test would seem to indicate that the bird is already nose heavy. I will probably try to figure out how to get more downthrust.
Oct 20, 2012, 03:52 AM
Good Better Best quest.
A 45 degree dive test? not sure if you mean it does not recover by itself or it does.
Oct 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
Olmod, one way to determine if a model is properly balanced, is to put it into an unpowered 45 degree dive. If the plane pitches downward to a steeper than 45 degree angle, it may be an indication the plane is tailheavy. Conversely if the plane pitches up, it indicates the plane may be noseheavy. In the Peregrines case, it pitches up.
Oct 20, 2012, 10:05 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Dive tests..

When I recently proposed a dive test on the Canard forum, in more or less the same terms as Joel, above, this is the advice I got - from Don Stackhouse, who definitely knows what he's talking about.

Oct 20, 2012, 04:48 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Thanks Joel ,that clears things up a bit in my days of rudder only towline A1 & A2s the deepening dive was a well known problem ,
shallow dives have always been my personal use, and power off to trim for best glide then apply power to observe what power thrustline trim is needed, but I have always found the more power/speed the more adjustment needed.
I have also had two aircraft that flew best with the cg right on the leading edge
and that confused the heck out of me.
Oct 21, 2012, 04:23 PM
Closed Account
Pusing FPV to the limit, Flying with Wild Birds. (5 min 45 sec)
Oct 21, 2012, 11:26 PM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Great vid,great control skill,heard the bird's sound when vid started
thanks for sharing
regards
Sam
Oct 22, 2012, 02:21 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Put a reversed "V" tail on my gull and testing flight this morning,it flew very well as normal "V" tail gull bird,but I can felt some improvement on the gliding capability as you can see from the vid.
did a couple loops because it's quite a fun in the nice autumn day here in Taiwan
cheers
Sam
PICT1594
PICT1608 (1 min 59 sec)

PICT1594
Oct 22, 2012, 07:54 AM
The glide IS good* It looks like a pleasure to fly.

Sam, I know I ask this question last year sometime but, can you please take a few pictures of the way you setup your motor in your fuse? You are the ONLY person I know with that setup. The seagull has a very fast climbing rate! I would love to have a bird that flies like yours....

Thanks
Oct 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
Sam, what control surfaces are you using on your Gull. It appears to be elevons only?

Quick Reply