Feb 03, 2009, 03:59 PM
Footy Pie-Rat
Got a bit more done on FootyCat ~ two of the mast positions decks servos etc. - just got to sort out third mast position for one of Brents Z swing rigs, cut the Bi-McRigs sort out the rudder linkage and and and...
Rgds
AndyT
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2009, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTrewin
Got a bit more done on FootyCat ~ two of the mast positions decks servos etc. - just got to sort out third mast position for one of Brents Z swing rigs, cut the Bi-McRigs sort out the rudder linkage and and and...
Rgds
AndyT
What on Earth are you doing with BULB WEIGHTS on a catamaran.
Feb 04, 2009, 07:08 AM
Footy Pie-Rat
Oldpilot ~ Due to the reduced width to make it fit the Footy Box rule of 6" I think it will be needed to help stop capsize and provide self righting ~ but if its ok I can always reduce it or take it off all together
Rgds
AndyT
Last edited by AndyTrewin; Feb 04, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Feb 04, 2009, 04:08 PM
If you turn a 12" wide catamaran on its side it will fit in the box with the mast on a pivot at its base to lay over parallel to the deck and sticking up, when it's in the box.

Low aspect ratio unballasted fin keels on the hulls to max allowable width.
Feb 04, 2009, 04:32 PM
Footy Pie-Rat
Ahhh but you are forgetting that any part of the boat sails or rudder(s) must be able to have full travel in either direction "in racing trim"and "racing trim" means that all components of the boat must be installed and be capable of the full motion used while racing without being restricted by any part of the measurement box.

I do not think you could sail your boat in the way you describe it ~ but you are quite at liberty to prove me wrong!

Please read the attached rules
Rgds
AndyT
Feb 04, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hhmmmm!!! "and be capable of the full motion used while racing".

Unless it is a rotating wingmast the mast does not have any motion whilst sailing, so I guess it's open to interpretation.
Feb 04, 2009, 05:30 PM
Footy Pie-Rat
It describes the motion that the rig and rudder(s) must be capable of.
The intention I believe is quite clear
Rgds
AndyT
Feb 05, 2009, 08:43 AM
Yes the intention is quite clear, but isn't it fun to bend them a little?
A thin wingsail on a piece of wire could be possible (nobody sayed it has to be easy moving )
Feb 05, 2009, 07:13 PM
Silly Old Fart
I would respectfully suggest that you would all be better advised to move away from the true "FOOTY" rule and build any multihull to the "Footy cubed" rule.
A box 12"x12"x12" would eliminate all of this hassle.
I think a multi built to six inches as a maximum beam is doomed to failure.
Feb 05, 2009, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBit
I would respectfully suggest that you would all be better advised to move away from the true "FOOTY" rule and build any multihull to the "Footy cubed" rule.
A box 12"x12"x12" would eliminate all of this hassle.
I think a multi built to six inches as a maximum beam is doomed to failure.
A 12 x 12 x 12 Catamaran or Trimaran would have a pretty stumpy mast.

Better it be 12 x 12 x unlimited, or at least 12 x 12 x 18 tall.
Feb 05, 2009, 09:42 PM
Suspended Account
AndyTrewin ...

All the best with your Cat.. Built within the current Footy Rules. It'll be a challenge to make it go reasonable. Well that will be the joy & fun part of knowing.. Having a go is mores the point.

Others...

Peronally I think Nigels idea of 12 x 12 is more likely to give a better result although it too will pose a lot of significant problems. Same support to Nigel as to AndyTrewin..

Don't really think the height of the Mast/Sails is going to make much of a difference. Size will depend on what the Hull can carry . Sorry I mean Hulls... Ultimately this will lead to performance outcomes. All we can do is wait & see..

Best of luck to all who try small boat modelling but I think the problems in cats would negate much success at this size.

Always happy to be proven wrong.
Feb 05, 2009, 11:50 PM
I don't think 12 x 12 x 12 is such a bad idea after all.
Agreed it will result in a low aspect ratio sailplan.
BUT.
140 years ago the great yacht designer Nat Herreschoff experimented with Catamarans for ten years, at which time he sussed out ALL the vital criterior for catamaran design, which was largely forgotten until the late 1950s when new Catamaran designers proceeded to re-invent the wheel.

Herreschoff favoured low aspect ratio rigs for their lower overturning moment, and their ability to handle huge sail areas by using very long bowsprits, sometimes half as long again as the boat.(On modern day Cats they are called "Prodders".)

For a 12" cube Catamaran, as in the 12" box mono, the length of the bowsprit is not penalised---only the Dia.

Hint! Hint! Paddy.
Feb 06, 2009, 01:33 AM
Silly Old Fart
Oldpilot, the 12"x12"x12" box is only to house the hulls, so the height of the rig is not restricted above that.
The hulls can have a short fin or fins and rudders are not included in the measurement.
You are correct that short rigs seem to work best with multihull models.
Perhaps two McRigs, one on each hull, would be the go.
All great fun to plan the ultimate FOOT long sailing machine.
Feb 06, 2009, 04:12 AM
Footy Pie-Rat
We all like to have something to aim for - mine just happens to be Footy's and I get a great deal of satisfaction taking an idea from conception to completion even if I find that the original concept has to be tweeked along the way to make it work.

I did exactly that with Bottle Footy's and there were many that that got scrapped along the way - In the end I sucessfully developed three, built to the rules and mostly from recycled materials - a free sailer could be built for 5 and an RC one inc TX & RX for under 50 (and thats 2.4Ghz!)

Someone has to have a go at building a FootyCat - I started building it to the 2005 rules with a central rudder assembly now the 2009 rules are out I have a better chance of suceeding with double rudders so I tweeked it. If it does not work what the heck I will tweek it again.

I believe I am the first person to have a registered FootyCat lets hope I'm not the last
Feb 06, 2009, 05:27 AM
Good Onya Andy. I like your style.

Cheers. Paddy.