Footy Class Catamaran possible within the rules? - Page 4 - RC Groups
Dec 16, 2008, 09:15 AM
The F-48 (Mini40) multihull class at 1.2 meters (48 inches) is primarily a "Box Rule" and like all box rules is subject to a lot of attempted interpretations.

A while back - this cartoon was included in one of our eZine newsletters, and while F-48 specific, lends itself to your above discussion.

Enjoy.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2008, 06:03 PM
I like that one. Reminds me of another thread, about Footy box tolerances and how tight the boat-fit.
Dec 16, 2008, 06:44 PM
AMA 743519 Team Heliproz Pilot
ok small suggestion. turn the footy insignia around and call it left footy. dont chastise me for this. it just a suggestion. but i like the foot with the "M" added to it. thinking about making a multihull footy. love my kittawakie so much i bought another and looking to make a multi. lotsa reading here. btw i think a 12x12x12 box would be cool for this class.
Jan 04, 2009, 05:28 PM

More done

Got the plug finished, and have started on the flash-molds.
The deck is done, just have to do the hull. It will be done in three pieces. Middle, and two 1/4-hulls. I'm very used to building cats with that type of hull mold.

The rudder and dagger board plugs are shaped / mounted. They just need to be prepped for primer, then cast.
Jan 04, 2009, 08:31 PM
Silly Old Fart
Nothing of the quality of Nigel from me, but I will post a couple of photo`s of experiments and ideas so that you can see that there are numerous ways of tackling similar challenges.

The blue catamaran is made from pool noodle material and the rudder is the rear portion of the fin.
The shaped bow is made from foam and the bulb is a piece of "Groovy" mast material filled with lead.
The thought was just enough weight to act as "training wheels " to bring the craft upright after a knock down.
It will fit into the FOOTY box rule.

The white foam trimaran is just a mock up so far and is designed to fit the proposed "FOOTY Cubed " rule (12"x12"x12")
Made from a standard FOOTY hull as the centre hull with another hull cut in half as the floats. Carbon tube cross beams with the maximum 12" beam.

Like so many things in my life just ideas that may never be completed.
Last edited by CaptainBit; Jan 04, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
Jan 04, 2009, 09:37 PM
I like the trimaran I think with a little tinkering it has great potential
Jan 05, 2009, 11:26 AM
Wow, nigel very nice.

How did you make the molds? And what does one need for it?
Jan 05, 2009, 01:04 PM
The plugs are made from whatever I can find, that's easy to carve / sand. They get a thin glass fiber layer when rough-shaped, then fairing mud is applied with battens, to make the shape more precise.

When plugs are done, line-scratches are made for where the seams are, then the whole plug is release-agent-treated. The flash-molds don't have flanges (unessessary for this project).

Epoxy with graphite powder (in a high content), is painted onto the mold(deck is done (pictured)). To save on my dwindling epoxy supply, I used carbon fiber cloth to make the flash. This way, I can acheive the stiffness I need, and save on layers. It actuall works out the same if I did it in glass, because the extra layers would take up more epoxy. Either / or.

A fine 2oz. glass goes on the graphite-epoxy next. Then the carbon reinforcement, and another 2oz. glass layer to seal it. The two glass layers are resin-rich, because of permeable-membrain-leakage and vacuum molding don't mix.

When released, the inside surface will get cleaned and polished (the reason the deck mold inside is not shown...not pretty yet).

When all the molds are done, wax film is applied in the exact thickness of the part's lay-up. Then, the male molds will be cast. The two molds (male & female), will be thrown into a vac-bag, to "Compression-mold" my pieces. This by far is the most precise way to do composites, because the resin content after the de-bulking is perfect, no pinholes between the weave, and both sides of the composite piece are nicely finished.

It's a bit of work, but to make the parts when done, is super easy.
Jan 05, 2009, 04:02 PM
Ufff.... seems like quite a bit of work and money.

As I don't have anyone to race with I guess I'll stay with wood .

P.S.: I'm working on a trimeran too butI still have to decide the form of the floats.
Jan 05, 2009, 05:33 PM
Just a suggested "trick" ..............

Shape the foam, cover with plastic packaging tape. Slippery, you can add glass, surface finish and remove to make a hollow hull if you want to - or leave the glass on. A lot of the Germans are playing with bigger multihull designs using the tape over method. Only place you need inserts are for float/cross beam attachments. Just inset wood dowel, etc. and you are set.

Many of the F-48/Mini40 sized boats are sailing with solid foam hulls covered with a single layer of glass.
Jan 20, 2009, 02:45 PM

Bit more progress

Managed to get the port-quarter-hull flash done. Just need to polish it now.
The starboard-quarter-hull flash, and the center-hull flash are all that remain.

Slowly but surely.
Jan 20, 2009, 05:42 PM
I really fancy a 1/2" to the foot scale model of the Buccaneer 24 Trimaran.
It would fit the 12" x 12" x open top box, and would be very easy to install the R/C equipment in the main hull.
http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/disp...buc24threeview
This can be printed out "Landscape" and scaled up 140% to fit on an A4 page.
Last edited by oldpilot; Jan 20, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Jan 20, 2009, 06:01 PM
that buccaneer tri would be most awesome
Jan 21, 2009, 01:10 PM
I don't think a scale buccaneer will be possible.

I'm working on a trimeran myself and the hull needs to be really high to get enough displacement.

You should do some calculations first to see how much displacement you would get.
Jan 25, 2009, 11:25 AM
Footy Pie-Rat

New Footy Rules

This is going to be helpful here as we can now do multi rudders!
Rgds
AndyT