Footy Class Catamaran possible within the rules? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Dec 10, 2008, 05:42 PM

Bit of progress

Got her rough faired. Lots of work still to go, and have no idea of when one will be sailing, but a little bit here and there.

Carved two sponson profile shapes on 1/8" balsa. Then glued a 1" thick piece of soft eurethane foam, on to each piece of balsa, so that the balsa gives a center location, on the laminated block. Those were then carved into the sponsons.

Made a cross-member, flash cast it, the filled eack mold half with a swipe of polyfair (cures in 4Mins.), to make the two cross-members.

Attached an extention for the mast area, filletted it, and is now coated with a thinner, brush-on fairing coat.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2008, 01:27 PM
Wow, it does look nice.

Whats are the dimensions? Is the bottom flat?
Dec 11, 2008, 01:35 PM
Eh.

!2" long, 9" wide from center of sponson, to center of sponson

Bottom is round-ish.

I'm thinking that when the time comes to sail'em, a small rig will be used...
Dec 12, 2008, 05:46 PM
Where can one find the "Footy class" rules. ???

Paddy.
Dec 12, 2008, 06:04 PM
Rusty
http://footy.rcsailing.net/rules.php
Currently undergoing change...
This is the main Footy site and contains free plans.
Dec 15, 2008, 04:05 AM
Maltese sparrow
Nigel

Beautiful cat, and nice imagination Keep us update of how she goes, please

I am about to make a perfectly conventional footy Catamaran - he said with a straight face
It will fit the box but not the minds of conventional footy sailors

More as it happens

andrew
Dec 15, 2008, 07:52 AM
Yes it looks sharp (thanx). Le hydroplaneur was my insiration (not the hydroplaning part, but the crossbeam and overall shape)

Will it work...

I did a bath tub test, and the hull slides nicely fore / aft. It also locks in sideways, like my mono with it's keel. My question is, do ya all think dagger boards will be needed?

I've been thinking about the box rules (the new 12-cubed, and current mono Footy box), concerning hung rudder(s) and rudder-slot(s).

Since so many designs will be around, and not all their rudder(s) will be in the same place, what about a box that has no back, but has a smaller, sliding back-cover, to be slid sideways to acommodate transom-hung rudder(s). This way, it could be moved around to suit the rudder(s), but still function as to keep the transom where it should be.

This is for those who have their rudder(s) transom-hung, and for those of us with under-hull rudder(s), it would free up some design areas (like on the cat).

Just a thought...
Dec 15, 2008, 08:11 AM
Hi Nigel,

You obviously remember the conversation at RCSailing a while back where an alternative cubed foot rule was proposed. It's good to see that the idea is still rebounding around peoples' heads.

I'm still intrigued by it though I'd propose something just a bit different than what you're suggesting just now ... that is, that the hull and all appendages fit in a 12" by 12" by 12" box, and that the rig and associated parts can't provide bouyancy ... and that's it, nothing else, nothing to confuse anybody

... as long as you can close the lid with the rig and associated parts off the boat, you're good ... it's dead simple and allows for a myriad of experimental options (and coincidentally PantsBLX could finally be built to a rule!)

Trevor
Dec 15, 2008, 12:35 PM
Ya, I'm going to post on that other thread, as soon as more progress is done.

For the box rule you said, I agree. Must fit in box that's it.

Honestly, I don't see what a float at the top of the rig does. It just makes the boat rest in another un-usable position, really...
Dec 15, 2008, 01:54 PM
Though I think the any hull fitting inside the box is a good idea I don't think the cube box is a good idea.

As long as there is no plaining footy (hmm I have to work on that ) the only real racing choice is fitting the boat diagonally and gain the maximum length (around 50cm).
Dec 15, 2008, 07:51 PM
Silly Old Fart
What about thinking outside the box?
Why do you need the constraints of a box?
Why not just specify the craft will be 12" x 12" x 12" maximum, or the metric equivalent and forget the box?
Rigs are unlimited.
And drop any reference to the word FOOTY so that the grizzlers will have nothing to latch on to.

Here is a new game............ "Name the class"
Dec 15, 2008, 07:53 PM
Silly Old Fart
How about.. "MINIMULTI"
Dec 15, 2008, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskysour
the only real racing choice is fitting the boat diagonally and gain the maximum length (around 50cm).
Yup ... except in light air or if somebody comes up with a foiling multi or for that matter scales down an aquatar (sp?) neither of which the Footy class allows for ...
Dec 15, 2008, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpheron

Honestly, I don't see what a float at the top of the rig does. It just makes the boat rest in another un-usable position, really...
OK so maybe a float on the masthead, what I really meant is that a builder shouldn't be able to pretend something is part of the rig when really it's an ama or serves some other displacement function
Dec 16, 2008, 07:22 AM
It was Footy-itus that fueled me into the carvings, and this is a Footy I'm making. I like the Footy labels.

Those "Grizzlers", only come out for rules. More rules will bring them out, so only one rule: The cubed box.

Names? "Footy Multi" (Origin name first, new class name second)?

Even the Logo could be done easy. Just add an "M" for multi, and make it look like main / jib sails to keep it boat themed.

Imagine, no limits on servos. As many micro servos as needed...

This is way too far. I don't even know if these multis will work well. I've been warned by others who have tried it, and I guess their problems stopped them after first-tris (pun intended). I hope they will continue their efforts, and remeber that their is no failures in, only a learning curves.