Footy Class Catamaran possible within the rules? - Page 16 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 28, 2017, 08:00 PM
I think you need to review posts found on RCSailng.net in conjunction with those on this site if you are looking for the on-line history of the Footy Class. The noted RCSailing.net forum has posts dated to 2006 and possibly earlier. I do recall a lot of posts by Brett (some possibly duplicated on this forum) regarding the FOOTY concept.

Dick (one of several Admin on RCSailing.net)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2018, 06:36 AM
Hi Guys, The Footy multihull and the Footy Monohull, Why all the hassle ? It is good to progress in design, but do not let rules clog the system. The one metre class yacht does not demand that the one metre multihull be banned, they just stay separate with the length rule
being the only simple rule for both. Is it time for a similar approach for the Footy class ?!! Tricat.
Jan 08, 2018, 02:23 PM
Thomas Armstrong
On the other extreme: what about a crazy full-foiled Footy.

I can theoretically think of a wide hull Footy, covering the whole top of the box, with 4 foils one in each corner, each one with wands, keeping the platform horizontal but about 5-8cm above water the whole time.

Too crazy?!
Jan 08, 2018, 04:06 PM
Guys, how long do you want to keep this up? Competitive footy racing and multi-hull r/c are both very small corners of the small world of rc sailing. As they say, talk is cheap. Either build something, move on or change the name of this thread to “Theoretical Discussions of Hypothetical Boats”. Lol
Jan 09, 2018, 09:28 AM
Tom, you have posted some of the most negative comments in quite a few of this forum's threads. Take some of your own advice: design something creative, build something creative, or move on!
Jan 09, 2018, 03:31 PM
Neil: I was trying to point out in a somewhat humorous manner that you have been talking about a very small subject for a very long time with no tangible outcome. Is that ok? Sure, its perfectly fine to just talk for years if that floats your boat so to speak. But I think it is kind of likely that if that's all you do, eventually you won't be taken seriously. Just my opinion, I could be wrong, sorry if you think its "negative"....
Jan 10, 2018, 02:27 PM
Tom, You are right in your opinion, we should all be sailing IOMs. Other design classes, small or large, are just a waste of energy. Right.

Oh, how many Footy catamarans have you designed and built? How many articles have you written in the Quarterly about Footy concepts that became the direction the class adopted. You question my commitment to a design class, like the M class (3 Worlds, sailing my own designs), 36/600s (introduced swing rigs, won 2 Nationals), the A class (Mako, 12 boats built to this design).

I designed and built the only Proa/Cat that doesn't have added ballast and fits in the Footy measurement box. What have you done Tom, to advance any class except comment from your Monday Night Quarterback chair?

Put up, or shut up. Maybe you can write something positive for a change. If you can't do that then at least don't stir the pot.
Jan 10, 2018, 06:01 PM
If in order to post on these forums you must be a designer and builder and only say “positive” things, this is going to become a very lonely place. Lol
Jan 11, 2018, 04:53 PM
A thread were ideas are discussed, where divisive comments are not welcome. Go find your own lonely place Tom.
Jan 12, 2018, 07:25 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
On the other extreme: what about a crazy full-foiled Footy.

I can theoretically think of a wide hull Footy, covering the whole top of the box, with 4 foils one in each corner, each one with wands, keeping the platform horizontal but about 5-8cm above water the whole time.

Too crazy?!
So, can we now come back to real ideas? Any thoughts about my crazy idea above?
Jan 12, 2018, 08:14 AM

footy foiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
So, can we now come back to real ideas? Any thoughts about my crazy idea above?
=============
I think a foiling footy could be done but it wouldn't need 4 wands-max of 2. Shoot for 3 not 4 foils in the water max. I haven't done any work with the footy at all but I suspect getting the separation required of the main foils could be a problem.
Jan 12, 2018, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
=============
I think a foiling footy could be done but it wouldn't need 4 wands-max of 2. Shoot for 3 not 4 foils in the water max. I haven't done any work with the footy at all but I suspect getting the separation required of the main foils could be a problem.
With a little calculation and getting the angles right you probably (actually most definitely) could get away with wands altogether .... That honestly add a extremely high level of complication in this size.
You cannot do it within the actual footy box rule (box width) but if you think outside the "box" (width wise) it should not be a problem, Something like
this but in this size
Jan 12, 2018, 03:30 PM
Wow
Thanks for those two links
Suddenly, this actually seems possible at Footy scale now
Jan 12, 2018, 05:21 PM
Gio06226 - If "you cannot do it within the actual footy box rule" that no longer makes it a Footy, wouldn't you say?
Jan 12, 2018, 07:04 PM
Building a footy multi hull is absolutely doable within the constrains of the footy box rule, there is nothing in the rules preventing it there is really no technical or material limitation. If you can build a bug in 20 minutes you can build a footy multi hull in 1 day ..... You can build a multi mast clipper that fits in the box ......

Building a foiling multi, that sails actually half decently is a little more complicated, the box is too narrow, that's the only actual constrain. The platform need to be 1:1 or even wider to be stable.
So you guys can keep talking, or if you 're really interested, and don't like the "box" rule anyway, you can try to "slightly" modify the rules to see if it's actually possible, to sail a 12 inches long foiling multi hull, like tarmstro suggested, decently enough. I think is possible, if you widen the box ..... in the end maybe developing a multi footy where the only limitation is a 12 inches long boat , like the cats that where build (and not sailed?) in 2008 when this topic was first started...... To think of it it may not be a bad idea at all.

Quick Reply