Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 08, 2008, 10:20 AM
Discussion

Footy Class Catamaran possible within the rules?

Hi!

I'm thinking about a footy calss Catamaran. I think it should be possible within the rules, but I'm unsure about the clearification to rule B1.
If I use an equilibrium rig it should be possible to fit the boat inside the box, but does the rule mean that the mast has to stay bend and isn't allowed to spring back, or does it mean I must not touch it to get it back upright?

Thanks Whisky
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2008, 04:08 PM
AMA 743519 Team Heliproz Pilot
well yaknow i just went over the rules and i dont see anything clarifying that the mast has to be rigid. and nothing about multi hull. i say gofor it.
Nov 08, 2008, 09:00 PM
Dreaming Weasel Dreams
I've heard the interpretation that "racing trim" means the sails/mast etc. have to be able to move however they will move when you're sailing, while you're in the box. With that interpretation you'll have to sail the whole race with your mast all kittiwhompus and your boom won't be able to move very far either....

I suppose you could make a very narrow catamaran, but I believe there's been a a rules comittee interpretation that limits us to a single rudder (though the reasoning behind that ruling is beyond me... you only have one rudder slot in the box and it's centered, but if I keep my entire rudder inside the box why can't I have two?)

Anyhoo, just a heads up this may not be legal!

-Rick
Nov 09, 2008, 07:15 AM
Hmm probably I could argue that the first sentence of the rules: "These are open class rules in which anything not specifically restricted or prohibited is permitted." means that the clearifications are not binding. After all they are not part of the rules (directly). (And in my book too it would mean that two rudders are allowed).
A very narrow catamaran would be useless because I would have to use a ballast keel which would go against the idea to build a extreamly light boat (for light winds).
Nov 09, 2008, 08:35 AM
I too am interested in a multihull Footy and class.

It has been discussed on rcsailing.net.

The rule should be a cube-box rule, to allow for the beams of cats and tris.

I believe the apple rules should not be used to measure the bananas. The multis should have their own box rules, and leave the existing mono-Footy alone

In between builds, I am working on my cat. I hope you all are working on yours as well. In time, after some working boats are built, maybe the new Footy-multi-class will take shape.

Cheers.
Nov 09, 2008, 06:45 PM
Suspended Account

FOOTY Racing Trim Definitions

It comes down to how you Interpret the "RACING TRIM" definition..

It doesn't in my opinion seem to be considered consistently within the Footy Rules.

Some say the Rig must be movable above the Box & what/where it can move is where it must stay.

The contradiction as I see it rests with the Rudder as in RACING TRIM it too should also be confined to where it rests within the Box.

The Slot restricts movement so should the Rudder be restricted within the Slot. If the Definition is used correctly IMHO then the rudder in racing trim is bound by the same restrictions as the Rig..

I'm with Nigel a Cube Box for Cats would be far more practical, albeit a different class must emerge.. No doubt debate will emerge & perhaps a little heated.

My only Hope is the New Rule debate finds some solution to this connundrum.

John
Last edited by waboats; Nov 09, 2008 at 06:54 PM.
Nov 09, 2008, 08:17 PM
I suggest a part of the rules, that may develope for this class be:

-The boat must rest in it's measurement box, like if it were floating in the
water (ie. on it's waterline).

-Shearline at top of box when measurement is takng place.

-And pretty much anything goes from that. Cat, tri, proa, etc.
Nov 10, 2008, 07:16 AM
How about this: No cuts in the box for rudders or anything, but one can choose which side of the box is the top?

And yes I'm already building a very simple catamaran to test if it does work or if the slightest breeze will throw it over. But in the moment I'm a little short on money and it might take some time till I can afford some sort of rescue vehicle to get the boat back when it capsizes (its just too cold to swim)
Nov 10, 2008, 09:29 AM
Yes, no slots.

I don't know what choosing what side of the box is top would solve.

Only the top would be open, and I'm sure there would be the pieces of string inside the box, that would be used for holding the vessel up to the
shear-line/box-edge (like I've seen on a certain regular Footy-box around here).

Keep building them multis gang.
Nov 11, 2008, 11:31 AM
Choosing which side is top would allow you to build a multihull which is 1 foot x 1 foot and 1/2 foot deep or a very long (1.4 foot)footy with a very short keel. or a classic footy
Nov 11, 2008, 04:08 PM
Ahhhh.

Good idea.
Nov 15, 2008, 12:54 PM
Here is my progress so far.
Its a very simple hull. 4cm beam and 5cm high. I'm worried that it might produce very little lift, only abour 250g per hull or so. But I'll just give it a try, use it as a test and make things very simple.
I think it'll get two rudders behind the hulls (I know BIG footy no-no and it won't fit in the box anyway), but its not build for racing right now. Maybe it will get a exchangeable middle rudder too, to see what happens.
Nov 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
Ah, progress.

I have some sponson shapes here to muck with.

Gonna try a beam (center to center) of 9" to start with.

Are you going to use dagger boards, or a longer shallow fin?
Nov 16, 2008, 04:16 AM
Actually I don't know. I don't think dagger boards will fit inside the box.
Maybe the first test runs will be without a keel. (Wind is blowing usually landwards at my favorite "port", so it will come back :-) )
I will make a box and see how much space there is actualy left to play around with.
Nov 26, 2008, 02:24 PM
So finally its more or less finsished.

I still need get my hands on some of the (here new) Litium batteries because with normal cells one side would be much too heavy and balance the boat. And I have to give it some black lines. All yellow looks kind of flat.

I used two rudders for now (that definitely don't fit inside the box ). But they are easily exchangeable and a center rudder does look stupid.

I desided to try it without a keel, lets see what happens.

So hopefully the lakes start to taw soon and there is a calm day ( preferentialy when I have time ) so I can test it.