Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 28, 2011, 06:43 PM
That's a great endorsement. Can you send a large picture or two showing your installation?

Thanks,

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2015, 04:39 PM
Ok I am going to have to say.... Good and BAD.

I love the design.. I love the looks I love the way its built.. everything on the plane is great. I fitted mine with an Evolution GN10 gas motor..

BUT the bad.. the covering SUCKS.. or worse. you heat it and it seems to expand not shrink.. then you get it really hot and it starts to shrink.. but pulls away from the wood. you fight it and get the wrinkles out... then 10 mins later they come back..

Sorry but that makes the airplane BAD. I HATE fiddling with covering I like it to look nice.. not all wrinkled and falling apart.. you tighten it up it goes loose it makes the whole plane look like crap..

I cant wait to crash it so I can tear this junk off and recover it with ultrakote
Apr 18, 2015, 06:39 PM
I just want to go fly!
I know what you mean. I did a covering job on one of my planes and it looked great! Couple months hanging in my basement and the tail is covered in wrinkles! What the heck! Very annoying. Goes from gorgeous to crap looking. Ugh.
Apr 19, 2015, 09:47 AM
Crash tests done dirt cheap!
Its likely that the wrinkles coming and going are differences in humidity swelling and shrinking the structure. I have an Escapade 40 hanging in my garage and over the winter (less humidity) the covering wrinkled up. Now that the weather has warmed up (more humidity) the covering tightened up again without me touching anything.

Just my experience. YMMV
Apr 19, 2015, 12:09 PM
Monocote is the best covering. You need heat and start in between the ribs.
Apr 19, 2015, 07:05 PM
Guys thanks for the input..

I have covered many airplanes, and "tightened" lots of ARF's over the years..

I even have setting on my iron marked "monokoat... Ultrakoat shrink. tack etc"

I have NEVER had one respond like this one.. you heat it up between the ribs and it balloons outward.. then when it cools its wrinkled..

even using the iron gets the same results,. even when there is wood behind it... instead of sticking to the wood... it bubbles up and does not stick.. then when it cools it wrinkles..

I dont know what it is maybe I got a bad one... but its still sitting here on my shelf.. and I am disgusted on how it looks.. I have tried 4 or 5 times to make it look good and it just does not.. I have tried hotter and hotter untill I melted a hole.. I tried cooler and cooler until it did nothing.. still the same results..

I am tempted to contact great planes and complain..
Apr 23, 2015, 06:50 AM
Have you tried a heat guy? It's more risky because of the potential to burn through, but it might be the only thing that would help.

Just my $.02

Bob
Apr 23, 2015, 08:17 AM
Gun? Yep when you do that it balloons up and pulls away from the airframe and dies not stick down
May 23, 2017, 06:20 PM
Old thread but wanted to post my findings. I assembled mine last week. It came with two right wheel pants. Contacted the seller and they sent me out a new pair. Maiden it this morning, two fuel tanks through her using a new evolution.40nx. Flew great but slow. Went back out to the field later today and on first flight the wing separated and as the wing floated down the fuselage lawn darted totally destroying it. It was a level pass, not pulling g's at all. The area around the bolt holes broke clean off. Flimsy balsa only in that area.
May 23, 2017, 09:35 PM
Lipoly Killer

Bcool

I didn't see the bracket that holds the wing together. Did you use it? It's a white nylon bracket the is screwed to each wing half.
May 24, 2017, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd
I didn't see the bracket that holds the wing together. Did you use it? It's a white nylon bracket the is screwed to each wing half.
Yes i did use it. You can see it in the close up of fuse showing the bolts still attached. The wings did not pull apart from each other, the balsa ripped around the bolt holes. That nylon bracket is still attached to one of the sides. Haha
Last edited by Bcool; May 24, 2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Added
May 24, 2017, 08:40 AM
Lipoly Killer

Damn!

That must have been a helluva high G maneuver!
May 24, 2017, 11:23 AM
wow I have an os55 in mine a LARGER fuel tank (heavier) and a large battery (for cross country flights) I fly mine HARD AS HECK... never lost a wing... thats scary man..

better luck next time..

oh and by the way after reshrinking the covering on this plane EVERY time I go out I finally said screw it and recovered in ultracoat it looks BEAUTIFUL and I have not touched it with the heat gun since.. no more monokoat for me...
Last edited by metalwizard; May 24, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
May 24, 2017, 12:45 PM
Good looking Cook+Maid needed
+1
I have really been thinking hard about recovering mine. I have used Monocote from the roll and never really had any problems but
the covering on this just stinks. Some of my seams have even come undone on the Escapade.
Thinking of a retro scheme cream/blue with scallops!
May 24, 2017, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdave
+1
I have really been thinking hard about recovering mine. I have used Monocote from the roll and never really had any problems but
the covering on this just stinks. Some of my seams have even come undone on the Escapade.
Thinking of a retro scheme cream/blue with scallops!
NICE I did mine black and green with checkerboard on the bottom of the wing..

it looks awesome BUT I have found landing with the mountains in the background is tough its a little hard to see so I added bright orange to the wings leading edge.. not so pretty BUT very functional..