Feb 22, 2003, 02:58 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Thread OP

Two wings better than one. Genki Bipe

I've had so much fun flying my Genki Boy that I decided to build a biplane version. Flew it for the first time this morning in quite breezy weather. What a blast. Now I'm not sure which one is my favorite.

I have a bunch of N-20's laying around so I thought I'd try a direct drive for once with U80 prop. Its so quiet you can barely hear it. I think the KP00 is a slightly better choice but it flies fine as is. It weighs 28g with 170mAh LiPoly. Wingspan is 13.5" x 3" chord (343mm x 76mm).

Regards,

John Brassner
AMA 84036
http://www.inarico.com/misc/rc
Last edited by Inari; Feb 22, 2003 at 03:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2003, 03:00 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Thread OP
Feb 22, 2003, 03:00 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Thread OP
Another view
Feb 22, 2003, 05:12 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
What are you covering it with? Tissue and saran?
Feb 22, 2003, 05:25 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Thread OP
Same as the original Genki Boy:

"If you are wondering about the coloring/covering: The patterns were made in Microsoft PowerPoint then printed with an inkjet on to plain old craft/wrapping tissue. They were then applied to the structure with 3M77 then sprayed with Rust-Oleum clear lacquer. I am quite sure that more traditional Japanese tissue and dope would yield even better results. "

No Saran wrap on this one but it would work fine and be much easier.
Feb 22, 2003, 11:07 PM
del
del
Way cool model, John!

I too have tried printing on tissue with varying results. Finaly found
a menu item in my HP 932 setup that lets me turn down the volume of ink
delivered to the paper. That helped a buch to control "bleeding."
Any other tricks that you've found?

As for two wings being better than one... We can debate that into the
next century. I guess it depends on what you want. A bipe gets more wing
area in a shorter span. But at the cost of the induced drag resulting
from an extra pair of wing-tip vortices. Tell us more about the difference
between the models...?

Has anyone built a really high aspect ratio monoplane model for the
RFFS-100/KPooo system?
--del
Feb 22, 2003, 11:28 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Thread OP
Hello Del.

There is definitely some minor bleeding with the tissue in my Canon S820. I've tried several different settings with very little difference between them. I have not been brave enough to feed the tissue directly into the printer without a backing--it handles paper a bit less elegantly than the straight-feed HP. I end up mounting the tissue to a standard piece of paper with a very light mist of 3M77.

I didn't mean to start a debate with "Two wings better than one" I'm an equal opportunity builder/flyer.

From a construction standpoint, both planes are built in a similar way. The Genki Boy Monoplane has a carbon fiber rod for a leading edge. The bipe uses "HO-Scale Lumber"--tiny spruce strips used by the train guys for the leading and trailing edges. Although strong, it isnt very stiff so the wing bows a bit from the tissue shrinkage. I would have used carbon fiber but I didn't have any more on hand.

I've only had two flights on the Bipe. It seems to fly like the monoplane but slower. And the direct drive runs out of steam quicker than the KP-00. In fact, I just replaced the motor with a KP-00 and will try to fly it tomorrow.

Regards,

John

Quick Reply