Nov 03, 2008, 05:20 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Blade MCX - Brushless Conversion

Just had to be done :-)

Spent a weekend converting to brushless.
It is not a complete success yet - main issue is the gyro feedback - most of the time it is twitching like mad. And, probably, it is underpowered, but I have a feeling that resolving gyro issue will improve the lift. At the moment when gyro decide to behave I can hover 30-50 cm of the ground at the max throttle.

I have used 3A ESC's, 2 g D1000 motors, Bernard's 6ms software for "Steve's" converter, although I have to made a trivial modification to the code to reverse input polarity (Low=motor On, High=Motor off).

Mechanically it was pretty straightforward - had to cut little vertical bar between the motor holders, file off little bit in two places, make 4 flat washers to fix the motors in the original rings (bottom two with the ball bearings).

Electronics was not bad too - most of the hassle was caused by decision to get rid of the connectors. When connecting converter to 5-in-1 discovered that it does not generate right signals without (original) motor load, so had to add 10k ballast resistors to replace the original motor load.

The final weight with the battery 28.9g - (2.8g heavier than the original)

It is definitely not finished project yet -
-need to resolve the gyro twitching
-want to try bigger pinions

But I hope that it is interesting.

Cheers

Andrew
Last edited by AKNews; Nov 03, 2008 at 05:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2008, 11:26 PM

what is the good word?

has any progress been made? Ive been considering getting one of the mcx and I was just looking at those same esc and motors and thought how cool would that be. Figured I should look an see if anyone has tried it yet... just wondering how its gone thus far.
Nov 06, 2008, 12:05 AM
Rocket Programmer
This is definitely cool if it increase performance a bit. It flies good with the regular motors though...
Dec 18, 2008, 10:59 PM
Video!
May 11, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hey Andrew ...

please update me and those who are also interessted about the current status of your brushless mod ...

Thanks !!

Quick Reply