Mar 28, 2009, 12:46 AM
like a rock!
>> as my hdx 450 sev3 with align upgrades
just wondering... I've been flying a T-Rex with HDX upgrades for ages. Would that make Align parts on a HDX heli a downgrade?

if the 450 doesn't fly better than the 250, there's something wrong with the 450.
If the 600 doesn't fly better than the 450, there's something wrong with the 600.

but, the price of little "sins" increases, like letting the tail rotor touch the ground. Especially if there is a shaft driven tail on the 600.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2009, 09:14 PM
Excellence is Expected
Whooohoo, I got my final part for my 250.

A Walkera 2801 RX just barely fits inside the frame.
Apr 07, 2009, 10:44 PM

tail wag....

I've now put on the new weighted grips and the longer metal arm. The new grips have a slop in it that my old one didn't and not sure the weighted grips really helped at all with my wag.

Either way most of the wag is gone.. but still get a bit of wag here and there in a hover, just enough to irritate me..

Otherwise the 250 flies great, I'm no 3d pilot but the tail hold great. I can hover at about 10 feet, drop it to almost touch the ground and give it a full + pitch and the tail is rock solid.

I still need to try a cf rudder push rod and if that doesn't work, I think I'll give in and pickup another tail servo.
Apr 07, 2009, 11:10 PM

Blade question?

Should the main blades be tight and hard to move, or should they be a tad loose and somewhat easy to fold. Mine seem way to hard to fold, and the bolt isn't very tight at all...
Apr 08, 2009, 03:32 AM
Heli Hooligan
They shouldn't be too tight. If you gently hit the leading edge of the blades with your finger they should fold back about 45 degrees. If they fold all the way back and bind with the blade grip then they're too loose. The blades will swing back and forth in FFF due to airspeed differences between the advancing and retreating blades. This is normal but having a little bit of friction helps to dampen it and make a smoother flight. However you need to make sure both blades blade bolts are tightened the same amount.
Apr 08, 2009, 05:56 AM
Heli Hooligan
I bought the weighted tail grips and then relaized the blade grip bolts have changed to 1.3mm. Anyone know where to get a quality 1.3mm hex wrench? The closest I can see in the MIP Tools range is 0.05", which is slightly smaller at 1.27mm.
Apr 08, 2009, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbouni
They shouldn't be too tight. If you gently hit the leading edge of the blades with your finger they should fold back about 45 degrees. If they fold all the way back and bind with the blade grip then they're too loose. The blades will swing back and forth in FFF due to airspeed differences between the advancing and retreating blades. This is normal but having a little bit of friction helps to dampen it and make a smoother flight. However you need to make sure both blades blade bolts are tightened the same amount.
Even with my bolt loose the blades are to snug to fold easily. I would guess that the best way to loosed the fit up a tad would be to sand the thickness by the bolt hole down so there not so snug in the blade grip, and rely more on the grip bolt to snug things up enough? I certainly don't want to try and open up the blade grips. I tried that on a 4#3 walkera and ended up replacing the grips Lesson learned
Apr 08, 2009, 09:44 AM
Heli Hooligan
Are you sure the blades are tight in the grips and not on the bolt? If they're just tight on the bolts. I've fitted the new Align CF tail blades and they come up loose in the grips until you tighten the bolt quite a lot.
Apr 08, 2009, 11:24 AM
Excellence is Expected
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinut2
Even with my bolt loose the blades are to snug to fold easily. I would guess that the best way to loosed the fit up a tad would be to sand the thickness by the bolt hole down so there not so snug in the blade grip, and rely more on the grip bolt to snug things up enough? I certainly don't want to try and open up the blade grips. I tried that on a 4#3 walkera and ended up replacing the grips Lesson learned
I left the bolt pretty loose. Where is the bolt going to go? Even inverted there should be enough centrifical force to hold the bolts in if the get looser.

If you are really worried put about it put some loctite on them.

So far the only bolts or screws that were really backing themselves out was the tail rotor blade bolts.
Apr 08, 2009, 12:34 PM
Rocket Programmer
On all 4 of my blade grip bolts, they are very loose... use thread-lock to hold them in place. The tail blades can be sort of tight - they are spinning at over 15000rpm.
Apr 08, 2009, 07:49 PM

Happy Days !!

Well folks, the T-Rex 250 is everything I hoped it would be. It flys beautifully. Can't get rid of all the tail wag, but 95% is gone. There is no tail wag when maneuvering. just at hover, and it's about quarter to half inch wags. This little bird is really stable. Rock solid hover and piro's. This was my first build from a kit, and I have finally got my head wrapped around this collective pitch heli business. Lots, and lots of adjusting. It's amazes me how one adjustment requires adjusting several other things to make the first adjustment work properly, if ya know what I mean
Gotta thank you folks. I don't think I would have figured it out without this forum, or at least , it would have taken way,way longer.
Well she's cooled down so think I'll have another flight
Apr 08, 2009, 07:55 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
Hey Doug glad you got her in the air. Congrats. Woohooo!!!
Apr 08, 2009, 07:58 PM
Excellence is Expected
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinut2
Well folks, the T-Rex 250 is everything I hoped it would be. It flys beautifully. Can't get rid of all the tail wag, but 95% is gone. There is no tail wag when maneuvering. just at hover, and it's about quarter to half inch wags. This little bird is really stable. Rock solid hover and piro's. This was my first build from a kit, and I have finally got my head wrapped around this collective pitch heli business. Lots, and lots of adjusting. It's amazes me how one adjustment requires adjusting several other things to make the first adjustment work properly, if ya know what I mean
Gotta thank you folks. I don't think I would have figured it out without this forum, or at least , it would have taken way,way longer.
Well she's cooled down so think I'll have another flight

Good job. Yeah, I was kind of surprised how much set up there really was also. I learned a lot just building and setting it up. One change and you have to do 20 steps to get it back to flyable.

I do agree, particularly coming from a 4G3, this Trex 250 is like a rock.

I would think you could get the wag out somehow. I got virtually zero wag in mine.

I also agree I'd probably be still scratching my head if it were not for these forums.
Apr 08, 2009, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakMov
Whooohoo, I got my final part for my 250.

A Walkera 2801 RX just barely fits inside the frame.
Hey MakMov, I saw the tiny 250 box with the kit at my LHS. He would add the gyro, servos etc. and sell it for the same price as the super combo. Does the align servos work with the 2801 RX? I have a spare one that I would like to use.

Thanks,
Hans.
Apr 08, 2009, 10:35 PM
Rocket Programmer
Align servos are standard digital servos which will work with any standard receiver.

Quick Reply