Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 12, 2009, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
No you can not use the Blade 400 settings. The numbers are completely different for swash mixing, and the collective on the Blade 400 is backwards, as well as the swash layout - with the elevator servo in front on the Blade. Just follow my setup video and you should be fine...
Why do you suppose the servo is getting really hot when plugged into the rudder channel. I'm doing that to get the servo centered as per your set-up guide..
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2009, 12:41 AM
Some people have reported bad tail servos - they get hot and fry the ESC... was the ESC hot too? You can plug it directly into the receiver to center it and figure out the right arm to put on it - but it should move if you plugged it into one of the "stick" channels.

Jasmine: Thanks for all the help the past several weeks. Your very knowledgable. I found your blog and see some very interesting small 3D planes you have that I may just have to get.

I have already received one dead servo, but I know this 420 was working when it was plugged into the gyro. It was moving all over and not centering, obviously cause the gyro isn't set up correctly yet. That was the reason I plugged it to the rudder channel. No the esc was not hot. I did a spool up the other evening and the esc did get warm, but that's normal isn't it?
I'm gonna just start over with setting up the servo's and radio. Then I will try the gyro stuff.
I probably bite off more than I should have with this heli. I thought it was just a matter of assembling all the parts, adjust the swash, blade tracking and fly. I really didn't know I was gonna need to set-up a gyro, throws, swash mixing , end points etc. All foreign language to this beginner
I need to find some local guys that can help me out I think.
Wait, I have a better idea How about I send it to you and you set it up for me. Course I know that's really not the right way to do it. I need to get my head wrapped around setting up a heli.
I didn't have these problems att all seting up fixed wing airplanes. That all came to me very easy, that's why it is so frustrating not getting this heli set-up to click in my head...
Mar 12, 2009, 01:32 AM
Rocket Programmer
Well if you think about - I would bet you haven't really learned how to set up a plane either. The thing about planks is that you don't have to have the setup perfect and they will still fly, while helicopters will get weird if you have anything wrong. What I mean is - on a plane, you should do all the same things you do on a helicopter - center the servos, measure the throws and use ATV to fix them the same, use mixing to get the aileron rolls nice and straight, use rudder-aileron mixing for flat rudder response, throttle-elevator mixing, check the downthrust, fuss with the CG, etc, etc... if you want a plank to fly perfect for pattern competition or something. Most people don't go to that length, but with a helicopter you have to, or it will just be impossible to fly.

Getting some local help is a good idea, but make sure they explain what they are doing and don't just set it up for you. If you get wicked confused in the setup, write down your subtrim numbers, clear out the radio, set the subtrims back, and start the setup all over again. Take a systematic approach - don't go back and forth between settings. Set up one thing until you know it's right, then go on to the next thing. I just set up the cyclic for my Trex 500 - I know it's perfect. Now I can set up the gyro... but if the cyclic wasn't right yet, I would still be messing with that. Focus on one thing at a time until you get it right, and understand why it's right.
Mar 12, 2009, 08:23 AM
Team Mulikow 3D ---- :0)
Quote:
Looks like the rudder servo goes to the gyro, gyro to channel 4, gain to aux 1
Might want to address this Jasemine -- I dont think the remote gain goes to AUX1 on a AR6100 reciever -- my gain goes to GEAR

Markus
Mar 12, 2009, 08:51 AM
Trial&Error - Repeat
Hey all, since I own one now, figure I'll share some things I have done to mine:
First of, my setup was a budget build, purchased the combo deal for 240, next up was the HM 4000 gyro with hs-56 servo for 65. RX is a HDX PPM for 20, finally 4 G Force 1000 mah packs for 72. Total was 397.

HM4000 gyro
Home made canopy fix
GF 1000s
Over all I like this little heli, I did purchase some CF blades for it and my latest run was a test to see how long the 1000 ma lipo would hover at approx. 3500 rpm, run time was 9 minutes to first bump of LVC default program.
Mar 12, 2009, 09:46 AM
Excellence is Expected
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymarkus
Might want to address this Jasemine -- I dont think the remote gain goes to AUX1 on a AR6100 reciever -- my gain goes to GEAR

Markus

Depends on the RX and what they are calling the channel. GEAR = AUX1 FLAP = AUX2
Mar 12, 2009, 10:37 AM
Team Mulikow 3D ---- :0)
Sorry then they did mention a dx6 :0)

Quote:
I can get the thing to hover steady and not wander or tip left by either the trim or sub trim on my DX6i,
I was pretty sure they were same connections as my DX7 no?

Markus

Hiya RB
Mar 12, 2009, 11:14 AM
Rocket Programmer
For a DX7 and AR6100 receiver, the channels are like this (receiver channel on left, device on right)

THRO - ESC
AILE - Right cyclic servo
ELE - Rear cyclic servo
RUD - Gyro (3-wires plug)
GEAR - Gyro (1 wire plug - gain)
AUX1 - Left cyclic servo

Then plug the rudder servo itself into the gyro output.

For other combinations of receivers and radios, this may be different. Remember, it is the transmitter that decides how the channels map on the receiving end.
Mar 12, 2009, 07:16 PM
will 24g heavier lipo have any marked affect on performance and ability to set CG?

I have three brand new 1000mah 20c 3cell lipos...would love to use them. They are about 10mm longer than the Align packs.
Mar 12, 2009, 07:38 PM
Rocket Programmer
That is almost an ounce more weight on the nose, and might affect the balance. Also you might not be able to get it under the canopy without modification. The only thing you can do is try it though.
Mar 12, 2009, 10:37 PM
Quote:
That is almost an ounce more weight on the nose, and might affect the balance. Also you might not be able to get it under the canopy without modification. The only thing you can do is try it though.

Hey Jasmine: Well I have done everything exactly like your build video. I got the cyclics working perfect, but I have a issue with the esc, and-or the gyro & rudder control.
After visiting with a buddy that is very knowledgable about heli's, we have come to this conclusion.
We are pretty sure I have simply received a returned item. Something I thought odd was that all the heli screws and parts came in several very tiny zip-lock bags, not sealed packaging. Here is the biggy, and I just assumed the heli landing gear had been changed to black by the factory to give the heli better appeal. I have black landing gear and there has never been any made with black gear. We are thinking somehow this heli was a returned defective heli and it got sent out again, I would assume by mistake. The place I bought it has a very good reputation. As a matter of fact when I told them about the 1st bad servo they were willing to take the entire heli back for an exchange being they didn't have a servo.
This heli is going back tomorrow. Lot of putzing for nothing. O well, I am now light years ahead of the assembly when the new one arrives. I knew this couldn't be so complicated that I couldn't figure it out. When the electronics don't work properly it is pretty tough to get anything set-up correctly.
Well I just wanted to let ya know being you had answered so many questions and have helped me a lot to try to figure this thing out.
Check out the black gear. Also see the zip bags the parts came in? I don't think that's the way they are suppose to come.
Mar 12, 2009, 11:11 PM
Excellence is Expected
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinut2
Hey Jasmine: Well I have done everything exactly like your build video. I got the cyclics working perfect, but I have a issue with the esc, and-or the gyro & rudder control.
After visiting with a buddy that is very knowledgable about heli's, we have come to this conclusion.
We are pretty sure I have simply received a returned item. Something I thought odd was that all the heli screws and parts came in several very tiny zip-lock bags, not sealed packaging. Here is the biggy, and I just assumed the heli landing gear had been changed to black by the factory to give the heli better appeal. I have black landing gear and there has never been any made with black gear. We are thinking somehow this heli was a returned defective heli and it got sent out again, I would assume by mistake. The place I bought it has a very good reputation. As a matter of fact when I told them about the 1st bad servo they were willing to take the entire heli back for an exchange being they didn't have a servo.
This heli is going back tomorrow. Lot of putzing for nothing. O well, I am now light years ahead of the assembly when the new one arrives. I knew this couldn't be so complicated that I couldn't figure it out. When the electronics don't work properly it is pretty tough to get anything set-up correctly.
Well I just wanted to let ya know being you had answered so many questions and have helped me a lot to try to figure this thing out.
Check out the black gear. Also see the zip bags the parts came in? I don't think that's the way they are suppose to come.

Did you get the gyro supplement page?

I did read on the supp something about an important step in setting up the the gyro with a Align digital servo and if you didn't do it correctly it would burn up.

Nope, all my parts in in sealed bags, no zippies, and it has the white gear.

Sounds like someone's been in to your 250 before you got it.
Mar 12, 2009, 11:26 PM
Rocket Programmer
That is funky - but I actually like the black struts
Mar 12, 2009, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakMov
Did you get the gyro supplement page?

I did read on the supp something about an important step in setting up the the gyro with a Align digital servo and if you didn't do it correctly it would burn up.

Nope, all my parts in in sealed bags, no zippies, and it has the white gear.

Sounds like someone's been in to your 250 before you got it.
Only supplement was the " GP750 Gyro Setting Guide " I followed Jasmine's build exactly, but when I got to the point of plugging the rudder servo into the receiver to center it, that's when everything went south, so to speak. And yes I did have it plugged in correctly.
I'd say someone had the same issues I am experiencing, returned it, and it somehow got put back into the good inventory pile by mistake.
My wife tells our friends that out of 100 widgets, 2 of which are defective, I will end up with not one, but both of them, LOL. Guess I'm just lucky that way
Mar 12, 2009, 11:42 PM
Quote:
That is funky - but I actually like the black struts
Funny, cause I was thinking the white struts would make it easier to determine orientation when it gets out there a ways, but yes, black struts look OK.

Quick Reply